Stafford on parade ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloodstained Angel

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2000
Sydney, Nsw, Australia
Greg Stafford has been named on the bench for Saturday's game.

How come ?

Lets face it - he has been frustrating and downright disappointing for most of this year, in fact he has been so woeful he is almost like a bad luck charm.

Put him on the bench and we kick goals aplenty, soon as he runs out on the field, we fall apart.

After finally being omitted last week, he is back, but he certainly does not deserve to be back.

I mean, for goodness sake, he was only just 'OK' for Port Melbourne last week and didn't even make the best players list.

Obviously the club is looking to offload the guy and the Match Committee have decided to use the last game of the regular season to 'parade' him in front of any interested onlookers, oooking to recruit a ruckman.

Thats the only conclusion I can come to - what do you reckon ?

cheers

i think u could be right there
i think jason ball has proven himself over the last 8 weeks or so to be our no.1 ruckman
stafford really has lost the plot this year
he has been tried in all sorts of positions this year but has failed in all of them
i think his time is up and he will be a good trade for a club like essendon or a fremantle
also adam goodes can play in the ruck as well as feast and doyle who is currently injured
i think stafford is going at the end of the year is a certainty i just hope we get a good trade for him cause he will be good for a team low in the ruck department

yep, if anyone can turn this guys career around it would be Essendon (think John Barnes)

But there is a couple of problems -

1) Stafford is a NSW boy through and through, he may not like the idea of re-locating to Melbourne and could really struggle to fit in with a big Melbourne club.

2) Stafford is not in very good form at the moment, anyone looking at him seriously would have to put the word 'project' next to his name ;)

3) Essendon are looking elsewhere to solve their ruck problems, (Everitt for example). I think the only player Essendon are genuinely interested in from our list is Jason Saddington, and I don't know if the Swans are willing to do ANY deals concerning Saddo.

Stafford will most likely be delisted and will take his chances in the pre-season draft (if the lazy dikhed can be BOTHERED, that is)

cheers

Saddington is not going anywhere. I have been startled at how well he has done - IIRC he was picked for the first game of '98 and only missed a handful since. Never flashy, but always gets a very big job and normally does it with a minimum of fuss.

Stafford on the other hand... The change of scenery could do him some good, I agree. But who would take him at the moment?

We shall see.

yeah Des - I keep on going on about Saddo, not because I want him to go (god forbid !) but for two other reasons :

1) If we want players, we have to trade and Saddington is first class trade bait.

2) He is probably the only player on our list at the moment that every Melbourne club would be dead keen on recruiting

But I agree - if we Swannies fans' have anything to do with it, he is staying at Driver Avenue - period.

cheers

yes i agree with everyone saddo is a excellent young player and sydney should do everything in its power to keep him for his whole career. it will be intersting if he keeps playing down back next year with schauble back in now or if he will go back to a wing type position.
as for Bloodstained Angel saying that he is the only player melbourne teams r dead keen on recruiting, im not sure about that but im not sure what perspective he is coming from either ie age, original home etc but i think a bloke by the name of o'loughlin could be a handy pick up

cheers

I think you'll find Sydney gets Richmond's 1st round pick. We then give to St Kilda, who give it to Freo who give it to Melbourne or something.

That's if any of it happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back