List Mgmt. Staggering our retirements in the next few years

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s always key not to lose all players in the one year and to look forward and stagger retirements accordingly have a few go each year so looking at the blokes born in 92 and earlier who will be 30plus next year (we surprisingly have quite a few in this category) we have the below and when they fall out of contract atm

88Goldy2022
89Tazout of contract - 50/50 retire vs 1 final year
90Hallout of contract - 1 year
91Ziebellout of contract - 1 year
91Cunners2022
91Campbellout of contract -delist
92J Walkerout of contract - 1 year
92AtleyFree agent
92Polec2023 (Trade Bait this year?)

from the above 9 players at years end campbell Would be gone. I’d also imagine one of Polec or Atley to another club. Tarrant up to him.

then the year after would expect Hall gone and maybe Goldy who would be 34. We need to start looking past him soon for a young ruck like Xerri who can play for a decade, and if not him we need to target someone ready to go with still 5plus years left

of the above 9 cunners is probably the only one I’d expect to be there when we challenge from 2024 onwards

Yes agree with most things there but as Hellas Johnny said Atley has not missed a game. Does not sound like a player we won’t offer a contract too. I think Shaun will be offered 1 with a possibility of 2 but as I said in another post we won’t stand in his, or any other more experienced players way, if they choose to leave.

I'd agree on most here however with Atley playing every game this year i suspect he'll get another deal

We had a few players that played a lot of footy last year who ended up delisted, if they think his position can be covered by young players like bosenavulagi, perez, bonar or some new recruit, he probably won't get a contract. similar position to marley williams and ed vickers-willis last year

Good thread and a topic we must get right over the coming years given the lop sided demographic of our list.

The club wont want to make the same mistake as they did in 2016 when they left 4 senior guys go at once - you simply cannot have that sort of experience walk out the door at once.

JZ and Taz 1 year left - Goldie, Hall and Cunners 2-3 years left - would be my most likely scenario. The others on your list will phase out due to natural attrition.

You never want to 'force' veterans into retirement but you cannot have them all go out at once.

Difficult but important decisions for the club over the coming years - starting in 12 months time.

We had a few players that played a lot of footy last year who ended up delisted, if they think his position can be covered by young players like bosenavulagi, perez, bonar or some new recruit, he probably won't get a contract. similar position to marley williams and ed vickers-willis last year
Marley and EVW spent a lot of time last season (a shorter season at that) out of the side. Atley has spent zero time out of the side.

Yes agree with most things there but as Hellas Johnny said Atley has not missed a game. Does not sound like a player we won’t offer a contract too. I think Shaun will be offered 1 with a possibility of 2 but as I said in another post we won’t stand in his, or any other more experienced players way, if they choose to leave.
Macmillan didn’t miss many games either when available but we still weren’t afraid to cut him to progress the list. I think Atley to another club will be mutually beneficial and would extend his career

A fit Bonar and Hayden and Perez should be prioritised going forward

Macmillan didn’t miss many games either when available but we still weren’t afraid to cut him to progress the list. I think Atley to another club will be mutually beneficial and would extend his career

Yeah true I still have my concerns on the above re durability. I reckon Atley will be offered 1 perhaps 2 while exercising his right to look elsewhere. I think he will be there next yr though rightly or wrongly

Atley, polec retiring hardly problematic.

Cunnington got another 3 years at least, so does ziebell. Both seems to have return to full fitness and confidence post 2020 injury.

Tarrant would be the first to go, we need to draft for a key defender in the later rounds this year.

Campbell still has a role as we don't have another fulltime ruck other than goldstein.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah true I still have my concerns on the above re durability. I reckon Atley will be offered 1 perhaps 2 while exercising his right to look elsewhere. I think he will be there next yr though rightly or wrongly
Yep could see that scenario play out also. My main point behind I expect Atley at another club

Perez Bonar Hayden zieball Turner Atley Ham who stays who goes?

Noble and team and have a big job ahead of them over the next 1-3 years.
Gotta get the list management and recruiting correct as we're really losing some key players in the side over that time.
Losing cunners and goldy would be bad enough but we're also saying goodbye to zeibs, hall and josh walker; who are currently playing crucial roles on field.

I would be happy to give Campbell another year, purely as insurance in case Goldy goes down. Watching Carltank lose centre clearances to us 9-22 is all the evidence I need.

Would hate for Robbie to miss out on any success we might have
As much as some posters have called for it often, bring him forward. Make sure our back 6 are settled, gelled, give them the summer - let him have the same time to gel with Larkey, Comben and co. Give him a year on year contract, same as Boomer had. Let him enjoy his footy, make it easier for him. He has given plenty. Imo.

Atley is capable of playing until he’s 38. He is be like Blakey, Fletcher and Tuck. He is pretty much guaranteed to be fit and ready to play every week. That is a huge attribute to have - regardless of how you look at it. His value to the team increases the better the team gets. We should not lose sight of that. However, I have never cursed a player more during Gameday.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Tyson and Garner likely to be cut there leaves a number of other possible players to be delisted. W.Walker, ,C.Menadue, J.Walker, T.Campbell, K.Haydon.

I don't know enough about P.Walker and M.Mcguiness to know where they sit.

The rumours of trades for J.Polec and T.Dumont. S.Atley free agent.

That's 12 players I would be unsure of where there future lies. We cut deep last year and i dont think we need to again.

I'm thinking about 6. Garner and Tyson for sure. J.Walker if Tazz plays on and we think Corr will recover. W.Walker, C.Menadue to go and and one of Atley/Dumont/Polec traded. I would keep T.Campbell for 1 more year fwiw.

If those players go that's still a lot of experience to move on. Tazz, Ziebell and Hall are all required players and should be kept for at least 1 more year with Ziebell to hand over captaincy and mentor our next skipper.

I think Jack and Taz have 1 left in them based off this year. Cunners can play for a while because he simply can’t get slower. It will be more how long he can be bothered playing.

Goldy up to 2 years more but depends how the body holds up. He has lost a bit of spring but with good support from a Comben or Edwards, could prolong the time.

Ats is still only 28, I mean he could go on for 5 more years. Probably more about form for him though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

With Tyson and Garner likely to be cut there leaves a number of other possible players to be delisted. W.Walker, ,C.Menadue, J.Walker, T.Campbell, K.Haydon.

I don't know enough about P.Walker and M.Mcguiness to know where they sit.

The rumours of trades for J.Polec and T.Dumont. S.Atley free agent.

That's 12 players I would be unsure of where there future lies. We cut deep last year and i dont think we need to again.

I'm thinking about 6. Garner and Tyson for sure. J.Walker if Tazz plays on and we think Corr will recover. W.Walker, C.Menadue to go and and one of Atley/Dumont/Polec traded. I would keep T.Campbell for 1 more year fwiw.

If those players go that's still a lot of experience to move on. Tazz, Ziebell and Hall are all required players and should be kept for at least 1 more year with Ziebell to hand over captaincy and mentor our next skipper.
Campbell has shown this year to be a pretty good insurance policy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back