List Mgmt. Staggering our retirements in the next few years

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s interesting, and I guess part of it comes down to how the team is performing next year.

If we are down near the bottom again, a few will undoubtedly wind up. If we are pushing for finals we will probably keep all of them for 2023 assuming they are performing.

Part of it probably comes down to who they are keeping out of the side. And to be honest at this point, none have anyone breaking the door down for replacement. Which probably needs to be addressed.

Goldy - Xerri is nowhere near good enough to retire Goldy. He may very well improve enough in the next two years but at this stage that’s unlikely. Edwards is the wildcard, he might be able to take over full time from Goldy come round 1 2024. Or maybe even rotate he and Goldy for that year and Goldy retires at the end of 2024.

Hall - we certainly didn’t have anyone that looks like they can provide what Hall is providing at the moment. We haven’t for a long time to be honest. That may change post draft but it would be awhile before they replace Hall.

Walker/Tarrant - we really need a young developing key back and probably also a more ready made depth replacement. That WAFL bloke for depth and maybe our second round pick for a kid would be ideal.

Ziebell - looks like the club values Bonar highly. Interesting how they handle the transition.

On what basis do you think Jack has one more year?

Taz has barely played and been out of touch, but jack has literally improved in his role every week and statistically elite in intercepts, metres gained and one of the highest disposal efficiency ratings at the club. Im curious why you continually keep putting a line through the captain when he is playing good footy.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think Jack fits when we have a full complement of defenders. I actually think leading out of the forward line might be his go, particularly as I think we lack a good leading target. If we have the 3 tall defenders as planned for 2021, one at least takes the marking intercept role (which to be honest Jack isn't great at, drops a lot) and Jack isn't a great defender so not sure why we would promote him above a host of more capable players who can play on different types and speeds. His "stats" don't mean an enormous amount for me because playing behind the ball and being allowed to play off your man helps all those.

I have said this before but B&F results and padding numbers in a bottom 4 team doesn't equate to be a good AFL player. It is amazing how many players who are keys in bottom teams are left playing VFL when their team plays finals.

I don't think Jack fits when we have a full complement of defenders. I actually think leading out of the forward line might be his go, particularly as I think we lack a good leading target. If we have the 3 tall defenders as planned for 2021, one at least takes the marking intercept role (which to be honest Jack isn't great at, drops a lot) and Jack isn't a great defender so not sure why we would promote him above a host of more capable players who can play on different types and speeds. His "stats" don't mean an enormous amount for me because playing behind the ball and being allowed to play off your man helps all those.

I have said this before but B&F results and padding numbers in a bottom 4 team doesn't equate to be a good AFL player. It is amazing how many players who are keys in bottom teams are left playing VFL when their team plays finals.
You cant pad intercepts

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can design your structure to make it more probable. Easier to do in a bottom 4 side. Not saying it won't work if we improve but I personally don't like the athletic profile with 3kp tall and Ziebell.

Walker most likely to swing forward...

Of the 9 players in the op 29 and over looks like Taz may be going and Campbell should be delisted so the stagger has begun which is good
Neither of things have actually happened though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back