Remove this Banner Ad

essaynode

Senior List
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Love this from Clarko.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-06/stamp-out-selwoodlike-high-frees-clarkson#/

Hopefully, as probably the most respected coach in the AFL, people will take notice and the interpretation of the rules will change so that we don't see free kicks paid for tackles like Burton's on Selwood.

Clarko is completely right in saying that we can disincentivise the tactic by removing the reward and thus potentially prevent head injuries. It's the reason the AFL changed the rules on the shiftfront to the head... Same reasoning applies here.

I like his thinking. Don't know if the AFL industry will get on board though.

Last edited:
I reckon they will, concussion too big an issue.

Clarkson hates the prior opportunity rule too. I’m surprised getting rid of it isn’t talked about more as a way of reducing congestion, returning to the fast paced ‘80’s style of play

[I have no skin in this game, so don't feel any obligation to take it on board ~ B&GBlood]

Love it, call it for what it is though.. Don't particularly like that they are hiding the fact its blatant cheating by saying it needs to be stamped out "coz concussion"... No, it needs to be stamped out because its a rort and not in the spirit of the game.

I'm 50/50 about the high tackle issue. Like many other areas in today's game, many basic skills are being ignored. I was taught to tackle the shorts. In other words, go in lower. If this happened, the Selwood style free kick would quickly be a thing of the past. No good aiming to tackle around the chest and shoulders.

I'm confused about it all because I thought the AFL were going to clamp down on it this year, but nothing has changed.

100% behind Clarko with prior opportunity, that's just too stupid for words. The strange thing about "prior opportunity" is the player rarely has prior opportunity. A player gets the ball, get's ridden into the ground, three people jump on top so he can't get rid of the ball, and the umpire says he had prior opportunity. Absolute rubbish.

I do find it a bit irksome that Puopolo is mentioned in the same breath as Selwood. Poppy is genuinely short if you don't get low enough to tackle him you will get him high.

I love Poppy as much as the next Hawks fan.. but to be honest, he does use the technique at times combined with his small stature. Another much worse offender is Teia Miles, he can gagf after the s**t I saw last year. Loves a shoulder lift.

I'm 50/50 about the high tackle issue. Like many other areas in today's game, many basic skills are being ignored. I was taught to tackle the shorts. In other words, go in lower. If this happened, the Selwood style free kick would quickly be a thing of the past. No good aiming to tackle around the chest and shoulders.
Tackling the hips is basically useless in today’s football. You’re leaving the arms free to dispose of the ball.
I was always taught to pin the arms. Yes, you watch the hips, but you pin those arms in the tackle so that they can’t dispose of it.

I’ve read people say that you have to tackle stronger if you don’t want the Selwoods of this world to redirect the arm up to their neck and earn a free.

These people lack a basic knowledge of biomechanics and physics.

It doesn’t matter how strongly you tackle someone if they angle their arm up on contact, the tackle will pretty much always slip up the shoulder to the neck.

Tackling the hips is basically useless in today’s football. You’re leaving the arms free to dispose of the ball.
I was always taught to pin the arms. Yes, you watch the hips, but you pin those arms in the tackle so that they can’t dispose of it.

I’ve read people say that you have to tackle stronger if you don’t want the Selwoods of this world to redirect the arm up to their neck and earn a free.

It doesn’t matter how strongly you tackle someone if they angle their arm up on contact, the tackle will pretty much always slip up the shoulder to the neck.
unless you have the strength and hand eye co ordination of Cyril so that you can grab the arm low enough to stop the shrug, but not many blokes like that out there
but yeah if anyone doesn't believe a normal tackle is in Selwoods favour should try to hug the upper arms of a friend and try to stop them dropping and shrugging, oh and they should do it while running just for science

He's not wrong on Poppy, he knows how to do the shoulder shrug and he knows how to get low/sideways, it's just that with his height he also often gets taken high without having to do anything because he's being tackled by a KPD

Not every high free Selwood gets is manufactured, he's just better at manufacturing them than most

Not to mention Selwood is oiled up like a Scotsman in an airduct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's an accepted footy etiquette that is enforced by the players rather than the umps. You see it when someone lays an overly-aggressive tackle or in more extreme cases knocks someone out. The entire team will confront them immediately and let them know that what they've done has crossed a line. Sicily is the only player I have even seen do that with Selwood and he should seriously be applauded for it. Selwood shrugging pissed him the hell off and he let him know it. Selwood would stop his antics immediately if opposition players took it up to him like Sicily did every time he attempted to draw high contact. At the very least they should be calling him "cheat" on masse to his face and publicly mocking him.

I can assure you if it was a player-lead stand, it would stop it quick smart.

Last edited:
Can I be the first to say it on this thread.
I ******* hate Selwood
He's dirty and abuses the rules. Honestly there were 3 or 4 calls on the weekend where he ducked into a tackle and drew a free kick when it should have been holding the ball. There's nothing wrong with the sort of tackles that were happening on the weekend. The problem with those sort of high tackles are that the player puts themselves into a position of danger and then gets rewarded for it when if they didn't drop their knees, the tackle would be fine.

My query is how good would Selwood be without all the free kicks.
My answer is: certainly not the level where he is now.

The great modern midfielders have had to win the ball, make space, then kick or handball to to advantage. Selwood is a good ball getter, but I don’t think he would get all the plaudits if he was tackled and lost the ball, rather than getting a free kick. It actually means that opponents have to be very careful about tackling him and that may give him extra time and space to use the ball.

That first quarter incident, where he dropped the shoulder when Burton tackled him is a typical incident: Selwood wasn’t going anywhere, he was being tackled and would have had a free kick against him. But he confidently stooped, pushed the arm up and won the free.

To those saying he is a champion: he is certainly not!

And, yes, he is a slimy, whinging bastard as well!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back