Toast Stamp out Selwood-like high frees: Clarkson

Remove this Banner Ad

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There's an accepted footy etiquette that is enforced by the players rather than the umps. You see it when someone lays an overly-aggressive tackle or in more extreme cases knocks someone out. The entire team will confront them immediately and let them know that what they've done has crossed a line. Sicily is the only player I have even seen do that with Selwood and he should seriously be applauded for it. Selwood shrugging pissed him the hell off and he let him know it. Selwood would stop his antics immediately if opposition players took it up to him like Sicily did every time he attempted to draw high contact. At the very least they should be calling him "cheat" on masse to his face and publicly mocking him.

I can assure you if it was a player-lead stand, it would stop it quick smart.
Buddy did it to selwood once when he was with us after puopolo somehow stood on a table and tackled selwood high. Also Lindsay Thomas and other North players have had a go at him. Chris Newman also back in the day.

Selwood is not as well liked and respected as the media let on.

Hodge and Mitchell as well have had a go at him about it.

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Buddy did it to selwood once when he was with us after puopolo somehow stood on a table and tackled selwood high. Also Lindsay Thomas and other North players have had a go at him. Chris Newman also back in the day.

Selwood is not as well liked and respected as the media let on.

Hodge and Mitchell as well have had a go at him about it.

Kudos to all those guys but I argue that it should be the “go to” response EVERY time he does it. The media would get behind it immediately if the players set the tone.

It’s pretty much the same way a kid learns to modulate his bad behavior in the school yard. It’s only when enough of your peers let you know that you’re being a dick that you start to adjust your bad habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Because he's publicly stated he'll still do it, he's probably done himself out of legal action in X years time when it all catches up with him.
Maybe he should talk with Johnny Platten about the long term issues relating to multiple concussions.
Platts. Now there was courage. To dive into packs with no regard for his safety. Was he playing the game and rewarded at the highest level, or, booed and vilified for cheating?
And sadly, we know where Platts has ended up. The AFL ain't talking up his genuine courage and hero status because they'd be highlighting the damage that has been done and drswing attention to the problem.

Platts himself should have a statue at Dingley one day. One of the first I reckon.

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canetoads Bulls Gunners Packers
Only 3 concussions?

Selwood has a head bandage every second week: is that for being hit in the head or just part of his regular uniform?

He gets a cut to the head every time he pats himself on his back.

ML4Hodgy

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fancy Chris Scott, whose team possibly benefits the most from this type of decision, turning the debate away from the rule issue Clarko raised. Always smart to raise a different issue when you don’t want to talk about something.

essaynode

Senior List
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Game on indeed. The silly thing about Chris Scott's response is that he's now added fuel to the fire.

Whilst the issue may have just been ignored or faded into the background, already other coaches are being asked their opinion.

"Later on Saturday, Scott's view was supported by his brother Brad after North Melbourne's loss to Melbourne at the MCG."

So now you can be sure that both coaches will now be asked for further comment about it in their press conferences, perhaps not on the weekend, but certainly during the week. The AFL media circus will now have to talk about it in the early week, giving it more oxygen, with the commentators having to take a stand with either Scott or Clarkson. Either way, it continues to put the spotlight on poor little Joel.

The original question in the press conference was: "There's been a bit of conjecture over Joel Selwood and the shrugging of the shoulders. Scott Pendlebury said the onus is on the tackler. Are you of that opinion as well, Alistair?" IMHO, it was a fair question to ask of an influential coach.

Chris Scott: "And the two things are completely separate. I can understand that it's an issue, but it's not a new issue, the rules have been adjusted."
- Why are the two things completely separate? Head trauma and Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy are fundamentally linked.

"I can understand that Alastair was frustrated with James Sicily getting suspended but I think any reasonable person would say that Joel was more likely to suffer a concussion from a knee in the head than shrugging a tackle around the shoulder," Scott said.
- Scott has a point here. However, I would argue that it is the relative force that is applied, i.e. it depends. According to the laws of physics, Force = Mass x Acceleration. If Joel's head is decelerated by a high tackle, the force transmitted to the skull may actually be greater than a glancing blow by a knee.

I'm interested to see how this all plays out.

econodog

Debutant
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Game on indeed. The silly thing about Chris Scott's response is that he's now added fuel to the fire.

Whilst the issue may have just been ignored or faded into the background, already other coaches are being asked their opinion.

"Later on Saturday, Scott's view was supported by his brother Brad after North Melbourne's loss to Melbourne at the MCG."

So now you can be sure that both coaches will now be asked for further comment about it in their press conferences, perhaps not on the weekend, but certainly during the week. The AFL media circus will now have to talk about it in the early week, giving it more oxygen, with the commentators having to take a stand with either Scott or Clarkson. Either way, it continues to put the spotlight on poor little Joel.

The original question in the press conference was: "There's been a bit of conjecture over Joel Selwood and the shrugging of the shoulders. Scott Pendlebury said the onus is on the tackler. Are you of that opinion as well, Alistair?" IMHO, it was a fair question to ask of an influential coach.

Chris Scott: "And the two things are completely separate. I can understand that it's an issue, but it's not a new issue, the rules have been adjusted."
- Why are the two things completely separate? Head trauma and Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy are fundamentally linked.

"I can understand that Alastair was frustrated with James Sicily getting suspended but I think any reasonable person would say that Joel was more likely to suffer a concussion from a knee in the head than shrugging a tackle around the shoulder," Scott said.
- Scott has a point here. However, I would argue that it is the relative force that is applied, i.e. it depends. According to the laws of physics, Force = Mass x Acceleration. If Joel's head is decelerated by a high tackle, the force transmitted to the skull may actually be greater than a glancing blow by a knee.

I'm interested to see how this all plays out.

I would also add that force and concussion doesn’t correlate to long term injury - lots of recent studies are finding older soccer players with issues from heading the soccer ball too often. Obviously this act alone doesn’t cause a concussion nor would be considered much force. I think Scott has missed the mark (as he often does) with this argument.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The whole football world is now on Joel Selwood watch.

It's brilliant.

This is why the players love clarko.

Here he has backed Sicily in by reinforcing the the stand sis took against grub selwood during the game.

The media tried to spin it all against sis for dropping the knee. Sis is the bad guy, hes out of control, poor joel etc.

Now clarko has followed up putting the heat back on Selwood, the media/footy world has no choice but to re focus on the Selwood shrug.

Genius.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Scott downplays the three Selwood concussions and plays them up in the same conservation. His agility is as adept as Selwoods

The point is Selwood brings these things upon himself, the way he plays. Even the so called Sicily knee was an attempt to draw a free. He could have simply let go

You only need listen to Selwood speak to know he has suffered lasting damage from all this

Kenyan

All Australian
Jul 5, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Scott downplays the three Selwood concussions and plays them up in the same conservation. His agility is as adept as Selwoods

The point is Selwood brings these things upon himself, the way he plays. Even the so called Sicily knee was an attempt to draw a free. He could have simply let go

You only need listen to Selwood speak to know he has suffered lasting damage from all this
Unfortunately his brother will be back shortly and he is an arm lifter as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC

There has been a number of times he has had the real wobbles after being hit and sent back out.

Let Selwood continue this practice, I have no concern for his welfare. The onus is on the umpires to simply call play on. They say the they don't have the benefit of slow motion replays, they should be able to pick it like every other punter.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

abe8009

Team Captain
Dec 2, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Also bugs me commentators say ‘drawing’ or ‘winning’ free kicks. Aren’t free kicks a penalty for the other team doing the wrong thing?

Did Scott duck the question?

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
I think Scott is biting off more than he can chew here. Sure he’s hit back and good on him for that; but he’s tellin Clarkson to focus on something that’s already been punished.

Clarkson has a whole league’s worth of supporters behind him - and the afl is at the mercy of public opinion. The weight of frustration against selwood has tipped into a new level this season and Clarksons comments add a weight to it that Scott’s deflection can’t match.

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
I think Scott is biting off more than he can chew here. Sure he’s hit back and good on him for that; but he’s tellin Clarkson to focus on something that’s already been punished.

Clarkson has a whole league’s worth of supporters behind him - and the afl is at the mercy of public opinion. The weight of frustration against selwood has tipped into a new level this season and Clarksons comments add a weight to it that Scott’s deflection can’t match.

All he could dispute was the amount of concussions. Clarko simply loaded the gun for the AFL to clamp down on this tort.

If you have time to shrug, drop your body, you have time to correctly dispose the footy. Call play on or call holding the ball.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
upload_2018-4-8_11-53-19.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back