Remove this Banner Ad

texdog

Senior List
Oct 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester City, Oklahoma Thunder
Just wondering what you guys are thinking about our VFL team next year. What type of people do you see us taking across from Williamstown? Ben Jolley? What do you think our name will be? Footscray or Western Bulldogs? Who will our coach be? It excites me that our youngsters will get a game every week!

Not sure if there is a thread about this already but I had a quick look and couldn't find one.

I'm guessing we'll take rhe cheapest least expensive option.
You're probably right. That's the reality of our situation today but we should still be very competitive and there will be a lot of talented up and coming coaches keen for a crack at showing their abilities, even if we don't pay top dollar. Despite the views of some supporters there might even be some aspiring coaches keen to do an apprenticeship under BM.

I wouldn't assume we would just target Williamstown for players although Jolley would be a great inclusion. No reason we couldn't cast around the VFL and even some of the other leagues (SANFL etc). We will need a reserve list of lower league players as well, to tide us over when injuries reduce the number of senior list players available.

The three things that excite me most are:
  1. Playing VFL under the Footscray or WB name - something I can unreservedly barrack for each week
  2. The opportunity to extend our grass roots support and engagement in the western suburbs, even if I now live a long way from there
  3. Being able to field a VFL side on our own terms so that player development for the WB gets the priority it deserves - players being rewarded for their form (not picked by quotas) and being played in the positions and roles we want them to make their own.

It will be Footscray. As for the players, Willy won't want to lose players such as Jolley, Wheeler etc. to another VFL team. So we probably won't get any of Willy's best players. But we'll look around to find a few players and try to persuade them.

Also we'll get a few players we might be interested in drafting to play there.

Have a feeling the team will be called Footscray (I voted for it) and it's a much better fit for the VFL comp. As for Willy recruits I can't see us taking 'heart and soul' players like Jolley or Lockwood. Perhaps we might go for one or two younger guys who we could develop plus keep possible WB retirees or delisted players like Cross or Markovic.

Scotty West as coach and Gia as player/assistant coach?

I can't wait to spend a Sunday afternoon or two at watching footy at the Whitten oval again... As for players I hope Cross stays on , if we delist a few rookies as I think we might (Greenwood, Redpath, Austin or Jong) that we keep them around where we get to keep a closer eye on things just in case they come good??

It's a bit of a double edged sword for the VFL listed guys to play for an AFL reserve side. They get exposure to the club they are playing for but they're also very much disregarded on game day and not really given a good opportunity to shine through.

It's a bit of a double edged sword for the VFL listed guys to play for an AFL reserve side. They get exposure to the club they are playing for but they're also very much disregarded on game day and not really given a good opportunity to shine through.
It is quite a risk for any non listed players to play but a risk many are willing to take as it gives them more afl exposure

Scotty West as coach and Gia as player/assistant coach?

I could definitely see Gia playing on for a season or 2 in the VFL

I have been thinking about the new VFL team, and how expensive it will be for the club, and trying to think of some ways that we could help out, by raising a few dollars to buy equipment, that type of thing. Was thinking about a Bigfooty raffle. I am sure between all of us, we can snaffle some good prizes, that will tempt not just bulldog supporters but the rest of the supporters. I know a few years ago, I helped out North when they were running something similar.

Anyone want to join me in this and mods, do we need to get approval from Chief first?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been thinking about the new VFL team, and how expensive it will be for the club, and trying to think of some ways that we could help out, by raising a few dollars to buy equipment, that type of thing. Was thinking about a Bigfooty raffle. I am sure between all of us, we can snaffle some good prizes, that will tempt not just bulldog supporters but the rest of the supporters. I know a few years ago, I helped out North when they were running something similar.

Anyone want to join me in this and mods, do we need to get approval from Chief first?

I wish I had any prizes to contribute, i'd absolutely enter the raffle, and would like to help any way that I can. I think this is something that could actually work and help the club, good idea :)

Is West a good coach? I remember people were saying Werribee has one of the best lists in the VFL and this could be the year they will win the premiership. They haven't been that good, not sure why.

Pretty sure he was one of Melbourne's Midfield coaches? A unit which has been smashed for years. A good player doesn't always make a good coach (Buckley, Hird, Voss as examples) I think Gia would be the better of the two mentioned. Seems more vocal, passionate, and seems to have a brain. Don't think either will be our head coach though. But I think Gia will have a role somewhere, as will one of Macca's ex Cat mates/players.

Almost certain that Gia has already been told he'll be captain/coach next year in the reserves.

Not sure who we'd end up taking with us, Williamstown are a VFL powerhouse and one of the few that should be able to comfortably retain it's players.

I think Prismall might come across but after that... ??

@PaulAmy375: Hearing the Western Bulldogs will soon announce that their VFL team will operate as Footscray, as many fans want. Doug Hawkins keen on it too

That's awesome news!!! Multi million dollar sponsorships with Vic Uni, do they mean that as in kind support with access to the sports science department and resources, or is VicUni actually sponsoring the team. Either is good news.

They are leaving it late in the year to start fundraising, they should have done it at the start of the year.

Interesting that only 3000 members voted. I did ask the question at the time the survey was announced as to whether a majority of votes of only a small number of voters would be enough for a decision and apparently it is. Or perhaps they had already decided ;).

Great partnership with Vic Uni - just no experimental chemical programs, ok fellas? :p

2014 is going to be an exciting year.

The western bulldogs have managed to pull a sponser for our VFL team... Wot :eek: didnt see that coming a few years back. A few traditionalists might not like the idea of having a sponser name in front of whitten oval but at least now we know how we're getting the money for this :p

What i like most about us having our own vfl side is that we can develop some kids that weren't taking in the draft and home them into the game style we play in the afl and hopefully can produce and show enough to be drafted the next season.

allowing some kids to have mature bodies before they play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back