Official Club Stuff Stand Alone VFL Team announced - Footscray Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Have on very good authority that Jordan Russell ex Carlton and Collingwood will play at Footscray in 2014 and could be another Assistant Coach on either a one day or two day per week contract.

Good move, another afl body that can help the kids train and provide that experience on the field.

In an off field sense, I'm struggling to think of the last time where I thought "What a f!@# up that was" or "We got that wrong". Seem to be kicking a lot of goals administratively recently. Hope it bodes well for the on field stuff.

A number of emerging TAC Cup footballers have been given their first taste of pre-season training in the VFL system, as part of the Footscray Bulldogs inaugural squad.
Four former TAC Cup players have been named in the Bulldogs VFL side, and Development Manager Chris Maple said the quartet were in the sights of AFL recruiters throughout the 2013 season.
“From the TAC Cup, our AFL recruiters helped steer us to boys they thought had a lot of potential that didn’t get drafted or rookie listed,” Maple said.
“We relied on their information to recruit those players.”
Local Product David Iaccarino has signed on with the Footscray Bulldogs after winning the best and fairest award at the Western Jets in 2013.
He is joined by Will Hayes, the 2013 Most Improved Player at the Sandringham Dragons and his twin brother JD Hayes who was named best on ground in the 2013 Cordner-Eddleston Cup for Melbourne Grammar School.
The 2013 Calder Cannons Most Improved award winner Mitch Jensen has also been added to the Bulldogs squad.
The exposure to a professional pre-season training regime is already paying dividends for a number of the young recruits, with the group already making gains from the program.
“For the VFL boys, they are stronger, they are fitter, we are testing them all the time and they are improving quickly,” he said.
“They are going to make a real impact for their clubs when they go back – If they go back.”
Footscray Bulldogs list so far:
AFL: Brent Prismall (Geelong, Essendon, Williamstown), Nick Lower (Port Adelaide, Fremantle, Western Bulldogs), Lukas Markovic (Western Bulldogs) , Will Sullivan (West Coast, Werribee)
VFL: Darcy Fort (South Barwon/Werribee), Jordan Keras (Werribee)
TAC Cup: Will Hayes (Sandringham Dragons), JD Hayes (Melbourne Grammar School), David Iaccarino (Western Jets) Mitch Jensen (Calder Cannons)

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-01-22/tac-cup-talent-join-footscray

Footscray Bulldogs list so far:
AFL: Brent Prismall (Geelong, Essendon, Williamstown), Nick Lower (Port Adelaide, Fremantle, Western Bulldogs), Lukas Markovic (Western Bulldogs) , Will Sullivan (West Coast, Werribee)
VFL: Darcy Fort (South Barwon/Werribee), Jordan Keras (Werribee)
TAC Cup: Will Hayes (Sandringham Dragons), JD Hayes (Melbourne Grammar School), David Iaccarino (Western Jets) Mitch Jensen (Calder Cannons

Only if he was never going to make it in the AFL. Will got to someone like Markovic

He could be the afl players captain but still have Marko, Lower etc as the prime captains.

Sorry, it's probably been answered already but ideally how many players are Footscray looking to sign? Hard to say how many AFL listed guys they will have available each week I guess so will need to have enough to cover in case we have a long injury list in 1's and need a few of the young boys playing / travelling.

Sorry, it's probably been answered already but ideally how many players are Footscray looking to sign? Hard to say how many AFL listed guys they will have available each week I guess so will need to have enough to cover in case we have a long injury list in 1's and need a few of the young boys playing / travelling.

Think its around 14 players they need to sign.

728045-52b22c04-39e8-11e3-97dd-9829463ce545.jpg

David Iaccarino

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-01-23/three-vfl-coaches-added

Former GWS Development Coach Stewart Edge (defenders) and former West Coast player Chad Jones (forwards) have been added as line coaches.
“We think we’ve put together a really good group, Ash Hansen will coach the midfield, obviously a premiership player at AFL level,” Maple said.
“Chad Jones, a former teammate of Ashley’s at the West Coast Eagles, will coach the forwards… he finished playing WAFL football only last year, so he’s very enthusiastic and outstanding character and he will be a real asset to the place.
“Stewart Edge who was a line coach at GWS will coach the backline - Edge obviously brings AFL experience with his line coaching, he’s also worked with the AIS academy, so his knowledge and experience will be fantastic.”
A third role has been appointed to Brian Cordy, the father of current Bulldog Ayce, to oversee the coaching panel and provide guidance and advice.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-01-23/senior-vfl-lures-fort
A longstanding relationship with Chris Maple and the lure of regular senior VFL football proved too great for Werribee ruckman Darcy Fort, who has signed on to the Footscray Bulldogs for 2014.
The 2013 Werribee Best First Year Player has not turned back since his move to the kennel, working diligently under the direction of Maple - the Bulldogs’ Development Manager.
“I knew Mapes prior and it was a good opportunity to develop my game further and play senior footy,” Fort said.
“It’s a step up from even VFL training at Werribee – it’s been hard but it’s been good.”
Fort has already utilised the close connections to the Bulldogs to better his game, drawing on the knowledge of Assistant Coach Steven King to improve his craft in the ruck.
“The fact that the AFL coaches are there at training it definitely helps… Kingy has taught me a few things already,” he said.
After playing 18 games between the senior and development side during his first year at Werribee in 2013, Fort has taken on a new role providing guidance to the younger players at the Bulldogs.
“I think everyone is really excited to be here, the young boys are all new to VFL footy so they are keen as mustard,” he said.
“There’s a good bunch of young players and I’ve got a bit more experience now but I’m enjoying it.”
The 20-year-old has turned heads both in the ruck and for his ground work, but Fort said it is his unwillingness to be beaten that drives him as a player.
“I am very competitive, that is the biggest one for me… I am competitive around the ball and pretty aggressive,” he said.
“For me individually [this pre-season], it is definitely to get that fitness up but for the group as a whole, it is about putting in place the VFL game plan.”

Congrats to Peter Gordon for coming into the club and just changing it straight away with the amount of off field deals and success.
Brilliant man backed by a brilliant coach.

Stand-alone clubs like Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Geelong and the Dogs are allowed VFL lists of about 20-22.

I seem to recall Maple saying earlier on that they were looking for up to 20 players for the Footscray squad. Not sure how set in stone that was though.

I seem to recall Maple saying earlier on that they were looking for up to 20 players for the Footscray squad. Not sure how set in stone that was though.

Might mean we have a development side as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back