Standardised playing field size

Should all AFL grounds be the same size?

• Yes

Votes: 79 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 187 70.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I know this would never happen, for obvious reasons, but hypothetically, would you support a standard sized playing field? Like a standard size oval with standardised dimensions, so every ground would be the same size and shape? As we know AFL is unusual among team sports in that there is no standard size, grounds vary in size and shape, sometimes significantly (like it's well known Subiaco/Domain is a lot longer and narrower than the MCG, as is Kardinia park in Geelong), and this is part of the home ground advantage for many teams (and can also backfire when a team plays away). It's sort of part of the game.

Personally, if hypothetically this was an option, I'd actually support it. I used to think the different grounds made things more interesting, still sorta do, but I think it would make it a bit more even.

I do think with the new stadium in WA this could become more the case though, I think Skilled Stadium/Kardinia Park is a similar size to Subi from memory, since someone said it'll be the same size as the MCG. I think Etihad and the Gabba are pretty similar to the MCG? The SCG seems even shorter/smaller.

Nope.

Rugby and Soccer teams have home ground advantages and the grounds are the same size everywhere. You would be putting a lot of effort and it wouldn't change anything.

If you use the average size (160m) the SCG is 10m shorter, you would have to remove 5m of stand each side and in the end for no real advantage.

The fact our grounds are different sizes just proves how amateurish AFL is as a sport.

I suppose it did begin as a way for cricketers to stay fit in the off-season (like you need to be that fit to play cricket, haha, jk). But compared to just kicking a ball along the ground (aka soccer) I think it needs a bit more skill, haha jk, soccer does require a lot of skill, well to be good at it anyway.

It is a bit weird and, along with the way the fixture is set to maximise advertising revenue rather than being fair, and how smaller clubs play some home games interstate, it does mean the league is fundamentally unbalanced.

But out of those three things, this is the most minor of problems.

Yeah, right.

How the hell can you run a fair and even competition if the grounds vary in size all over the country? Now I get there are historical reasons for this but with all the stadium redevelopment which has happened around the country in the last two decades, the AFL could have pure more effort into making sure grounds we're at least the same ******* shape.

Grounds need to be standardised.
Players need to be standardised - 187cm and 85kg.
Coaches need to be standardised - IQ of no greater than 80.
Commentators need to be standardised - Self-obsessed boofheads only please.
Fans need to be standardised - One-eyed flogs only.

Seriously, the game has been played for over 100 years without standardised grounds. There's no need to change or even give it a second thought.

Rugby and Soccer teams have home ground advantages and the grounds are the same size everywhere. You would be putting a lot of effort and it wouldn't change anything
Not sure about rugby but soccer pitches definitely aren't standardised

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen this thread before I'm sure... zzzzzzz

I like the ground sizes. What I hate is the shitty camera angles at scg and the tasmania games and NT and other "bush" venues.

Put the main camera higher at the SCG at least!

i mean lets be honest the logistics of it are quite impractical but ideally yes all the grounds should be the same size. of course teams will still have homefield advantage but it just seems unprofessional to have differing size fields.

My main frustration is with the MCG being a much rounder ground than those found interstate. I mean yeah obviously it's a cricket ground so it's going to be round. I may as well complain about the sky being blue. It would be nice if every footy ground in the country had the same dimensions as the ground where the Grand Final is played for the sake of fairness but it will never happen.

This has not been a problem for over a century, not one now. Even if you were going to change it, it would cost millions. AFL not forking that out, for no apparent benefit.

How the hell can you run a fair and even competition if the grounds vary in size all over the country? Now I get there are historical reasons for this but with all the stadium redevelopment which has happened around the country in the last two decades, the AFL could have pure more effort into making sure grounds we're at least the same ******* shape.
Weather isn't standardised across the country for obvious reasons.

NFL, which most would argue is one of the most 'professional' leagues in the world has multiple difference in playing surfaces, weather conditions, open or closed roof, cities that get perpetual sunlight with 30° conditions vs cities that are covered with snow with -18° conditions during play.

NFL is actually a measured sport so it needs to be consistent. The comparatively minimal variations in playing oval wouldn't change the fact that how Adelaide Oval is situated makes it a hugely different ground to play on vs the MCG, vs Tasmania.

Back