#StandBySmith

Remove this Banner Ad

Ball tamperers in the past......Pfaf (twice), Philander, Tendulkar, Atherton got a slap on the wrist and were waved play on.

Smith is stupid and naive enough to own up and for that he gets kicked, hung drawn and quartered......by his own country.

In no way am I endorsing the inept and clumsy attempt to alter the ball........but please.....some perspective.

I'm so sick of this kind of bullshit argument. How other teams in other countries choose to discipline their players is completely irrelevant.

I'm so sick of this kind of bullshit argument. How other teams in other countries choose to discipline their players is completely irrelevant.

its totally relevant. We play in the same competition.

Your point is if two AFL teams have a melee, then one coach comes out and bans half his players for a year, its irrelevant the other team got a fine.

its totally relevant. We play in the same competition.

Your point is if two AFL teams have a melee, then one coach comes out and bans half his players for a year, its irrelevant the other team got a fine.

Better analogy is if one team brings knuckledusters

Does anybody have a feeling that Smith wasn't part of the plan, but he had a general idea of what may have been happening and was too scared to do anything to prevent it? A decent bloke, good cricketer, but not the type to stand up and tell players more senior than he is that they can't do something? Then as captain decided to cop a big whack because he feels it's his responsibility?

WHen he asked Bancroft to explain to the media what had happened it seemed a bit passive aggressive, almost like he was annoyed that he was copping it for something that wasn't his idea and he didn't know everything about.

May just be me in denial, or my poor judge of character, Smith has just never seemed to be that kind of bloke.

I don't really like Warner much and haven't for a while, trying not to take sides or anything. Has he done the right thing in the way he has responded to all this?

WOuld love to see Smudge play test cricket for Australia again, hopefully he can maintain it all and come back strong. Warner is done imo and I believe it's for the best.

Interested to hear some replies, so much different info floating around and I can't keep up.

Does anybody have a feeling that Smith wasn't part of the plan, but he had a general idea of what may have been happening and was too scared to do anything to prevent it? A decent bloke, good cricketer, but not the type to stand up and tell players more senior than he is that they can't do something? Then as captain decided to cop a big whack because he feels it's his responsibility?

WHen he asked Bancroft to explain to the media what had happened it seemed a bit passive aggressive, almost like he was annoyed that he was copping it for something that wasn't his idea and he didn't know everything about.

May just be me in denial, or my poor judge of character, Smith has just never seemed to be that kind of bloke.

I don't really like Warner much and haven't for a while, trying not to take sides or anything. Has he done the right thing in the way he has responded to all this?

WOuld love to see Smudge play test cricket for Australia again, hopefully he can maintain it all and come back strong. Warner is done imo and I believe it's for the best.

Interested to hear some replies, so much different info floating around and I can't keep up.

I think Smith is the least guilty of the 3, Warner planned it, Bancroft carried it out while it sounds like Smith just knew about it but failed to stop it.

He still deserves to be punished, as the captain he is responsible for it happening under his watch and should have put a stop to it.

I feel some sympathy for him though as he really isn't suited to being captain, he was only made captain due to a lack of other better leadership options, when a flog like Warner is vice captain it just shows how poor Australia's leadership options are.

Had Smith just been a player and not been captain he'd probably still be playing test cricket now, unlike Warner I think he's a decent honest person that wouldn't have come up with the idea to cheat himself. That's one of the reasons I think he'll be back in the Australian team as soon as his ban ends, on top of that he's too good a batsman to leave out.

I think Warner's career in the Australian team is done though, he's more trouble than he's worth, just about every unsavoury incident with the Australian team seems to involve him and his batting these days isn't good enough to outweigh the bad stuff. On top of that I don't he's very popular with his teammates now and Smith in particular, it was telling they returned to Sydney on separate flights, which makes it even more unlikely Warner will return to the Australian team.

I feel a bit sorry for the guys but my inner sceptic can't help but feel the narrative has been deliberately steered in recent days to paint Smith as collateral damage and thereby pave an easier road to his return.

The bloke is still the top long form batsman in the world and the hierarchy will be desperate to have him back available for selection.

Did anyone else notice that, at Smith's press conference, while he pretended to cry, and looked like he was crying, there were no actual tears? His face remained dry the whole time. Did he fake cry?
This is some Azaria Chamberlain level rubbish.

There's no I in team. If the public want to go and support the team they still can regardless of a player suspension or three.

Smith was severely overrated as captain and in way over his head with the responsibility.

Cricket attendance and tv ratings were already on a downward spiral.
Bit like Hawthorn, all you fair weather supporter types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd wager the ratings were down because the public were sick of the teams argy bargy antics. As well as throwing out their tv's when having to deal with Slater, Nicholas etc.
No.
Every one loves a winner.
People drop off when their team starts losing.
You should know being a Hawks man.

The people crying are the organisers behind all the nastiness with the sledging ,cheating ,etc
Lehmann encouraged the culture that developed.

Had England been caught doing this and Root was in the press conference crying his eyes out ,there would be no sympathy.
He would be a source of mockery in this forum and a load of people would probably have "root crying" avatars .

The people crying are the organisers behind all the nastiness with the sledging ,cheating ,etc
Lehmann encouraged the culture that developed.

Had England been caught doing this and Root was in the press conference crying his eyes out ,there would be no sympathy.
He would be a source of mockery in this forum and a load of people would probably have "root crying" avatars .

England would never be in this spot, your test match number 6 Is going to miss a test soon as he is facing prison for smashing a man's face in so for some reason I doubt root would be out for a year for failing to stop ball tampering.

England would never be in this spot, your test match number 6 Is going to miss a test soon as he is facing prison for smashing a man's face in so for some reason I doubt root would be out for a year for failing to stop ball tampering.

Last 2 times we won the Ashes , we had to face accusations the pitches were doctored with no real proof .
The same people who pointed the finger have now been caught cheating . Funny that !!

Last 2 times we won the Ashes , we had to face accusations the pitches were doctored with no real proof .
The same people who pointed the finger have now been caught cheating . Funny that !!

That reply has nothing to do with what I said, root would never be facing a year ban for this, hell he could punch a man's skull in and not be banned for a year and and you can't even deny that even though it sounds absurd because it's what actually happened with stokes.

Aussies have over reacted to this because they believe they have some superior sporting culture but what right does any English fan have to make a fuss over this?

View attachment 477168
Find the tears. Then post the video of the tears. We'll wait.

None of them are a patch on Kim Hughes.

He had good reason to cry too, facing the great West Indies bowling attack relentlessly.

Smith, Warner and Bancroft went to pieces facing Rabada, the 80s West Indies bowling attack had 4 Rabadas, with another couple of Rabadas in the wings.

I'd wager the ratings were down because the public were sick of the teams argy bargy antics. As well as throwing out their tv's when having to deal with Slater, Nicholas etc.
Have you got any proof of these decreased ratings?

You know what will make those ratings go down even further? Losing most of the time. But I'm sure the public who were sick of the argy bargy antics will stick around.

You know what will make those ratings go down even further? Losing most of the time. But I'm sure the public who were sick of the argy bargy antics will stick around.

Maybe if Cricket Australia got their fingers out of their rear ends and worked on developing youth properly there wouldn't be a skills shortage in the national side ;).

Think there has been a massive over reaction and a lot of blokes throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Plenty of other countries have been involved with ball tampering incidents and their players have continued playing. The PC Police need to chill out. So who is with me?

View attachment 474533

The problem with other countries is they all never admitted it. What we have here with our blokes is a pre meditated plan to alter the ball in the hope of a favourable result of an international sporting event. "FAF" has been done twice, but he's used the old Bart Simpson line 'I didn't do it" both times! He was guilty of course, but he was a lot smarter in his deception.
If this insane scheme had worked and Australia had bowled South Africa out and won the Test, Warner would've been the first bloke running to his teammates jumping in the air doing the high five! Us poor saps sitting at home would be none the wiser! They got caught red handed and now pay the penalty, a penalty they all thought would be handed down by the ICC with a one match ban which treats ball tampering lightly. They completely under estimated the Australian reaction.
Warner acted out of spite after the Stairwell sledge in Durban, he's then concocted this moment of madness, coerced a junior player, then conned his Captain into going along with it, all the while making sure the coach didn't find out!
The motivation was retribution by Warner for the De Kock sledging, "Sonny Boy" masks and finally the abusive spectator in Capetown, he then lost his freaking mind! Warner became unstable! There's no PC police involved at all, not this time!

Smith should've immediatley had Warner withdrawn from the team (mid test) the moment this idiocy was mentioned to him. The tears are falling becasue it has now cost both of them $millions in torn up IPL contracts, lost sponsorships and Cricket board contracts. I hope Smith appeals as his biggest mistake was being duped by his Vice Captain, i hope Smith can get some reduction in his ban because Australian cricket is entering its worst era of all time!
Warner hasn't got a hope of getting one day off IMO! I suspect Warner will take the matter further...
There is no over reaction here, Warner and Smith just didn't think of the repercussions of their actions!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back