'Standing room' ticket, anyone have an insight?

Remove this Banner Ad

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Hi guys. I'm sure some of you have had standing room before, but for an event like the GF, I have some questions. If anyone could answer these it'd be a tremendous help :)

How many standing areas are there at the G? Like is it behind most bays/only a select few bays? How early do you need to arrive to ensure a "good" standing spot? How far back to people queue? If you're among a huge group of standing room people, can you actually see that well, especially toward the back? And obviously, if you go to the toilet, I'm guessing that's game over and you're back at the end of the queue lol.

With 100k, I'm guessing the view won't be great, and everyone will be pretty rough and wanting to stake their turf.

All u need to know......

"I`m going up with the spirit in the sky
That's where im gonna go when I die
When I die and they lay me to rest
I`m gonna get on the piss with Georgie Best"

Last edited:

I was in standing room in 2002, we lined up at 8 and got a good spot. If you're with a group you'll be fine, just don't expect people to respect your blanket/jackets etc you've used to claim your spot. They'll rock up at 2pm and try to push their way in.
We were on the bottom level standing behind the last row of seats.

The gf parking inspectors are a lot more anal if you stand at the top of stairwells. Probably best off getting there early and standing your ground on level 1. Floating without a ticket on level 3 isn't the best way to enjoy your day.

There's standing room behind pretty much every Bay.

Get there early enough and position yourself amongst other Crows - 1 hour out if you can - have a chat with the other Crows. Look after each other.

Generally standing room is pretty easy to see from. Get a spot on the rail or stand back and enjoy a bit of personal space. If you're by yourself, just tell the bloke next to you to watch your spot while you go to the can.

If your team gets up, standing room can be the best place in the G.

In 2008, standing room M9, after Dew kicked his second, there were literally people crowd surfing with excitement of what was happening.

Enjoy the day, Drummond.

Last edited:
Done standing room twice in recent years. Some bays are bigger than others and it tends to be a bit of a free for all! Get there as early as you can, claim your spot, get friendly with one or two people around you (chat, buy a couple of beers etc) and you'll be set for toilet trips. Enjoy the atmosphere of standing room!

Thanks for the responses, appreciate it.

By early, I'm guessing gate opening time, 9:30?

There's standing room behind pretty much every Bay.

Get there early enough and position yourself amongst other Crows - 1 hour out if you can - have a chat with the other Crows. Look after each other.

Generally standing room is pretty easy to see from. Get a spot on the rail or stand back and enjoy a bit of personal space. If your by yourself, just tell the bloke next to you to watch your spot while you go to the can.

If your team gets up, standing room can be the best place in the G.

In 2008, standing room M9, after Dew kicked his second, there were literally people crowd surfing with excitement of what was happening.

Enjoy the day, Drummond.
Thanks mate!!!

Would obviously be a lot easier with a small group, by yourself I'm imagining it wouldn't be ideal.

If the view is that obstructed I'd be disappointed, but if people generally feel that sight-lines are ok, that gives me some hope.

Had standing room for 2015 in M50, which is right next to MCG members. We went in as soon as gates opened and we were not the only ones. Got spot front rail which is where you want to be.

Think each bay was about 4 steps so not too deep. 4 of us together so getting drinks / toilet then getting spot back was not an issue. You could come in a bit later and be ok maybe but you wont get a rail spot.

Centre Square seats were directly in front of us. Kicking empty beer cups under their $2000 seats and shouting in their ears was quite satisfying.

Found staff didn't care what bay your actual ticket was in. Never got asked to show it once. If you were assigned a spot further around in the pocket I would just get in early and head straight for M50. Google mcg standing room m50 and you will see a photo of previous gf national anthem with teams lined up. View was heaps better than in 06 when we were up top of Great Southern Stand.

Only real bad part of it was no atmosphere coming from MCG members to your right.

Enjoy the day, go crows!

Only the Great Southern stand has dedicated standing room bays. Otherwise in the Olympic and Ponsford stands you can simply stand at the back in an equivalent spot but with no steps so if you're not in the front row it may be a problem.

I did that in the Olympic Stand for Cats vs Tigers when my mates and I had only restricted viewing seats scattered over the MCG.

It's right behind the disabled seats and the fence even has a beer-sized ledge.

Thanks mate!!!

Would obviously be a lot easier with a small group, by yourself I'm imagining it wouldn't be ideal.

If the view is that obstructed I'd be disappointed, but if people generally feel that sight-lines are ok, that gives me some hope.

You can't see the scoreboard but will generally have a big flatscreen TV right above you.

You will also lose the ball when it goes up high for big kicks, but nothing that really hurts your appreciation of the game.

I'm also someone who thinks that the whole bottom tier is rubbish and prefers the nosebleeds, but maybe I'm unique...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've got to own that standing spot. Get in early and make yourself known, dont be a pushover and you'll be right.
Basically like the rest have said, have a group or get all buddy with your fellow fans.
The only issue with standing is I was opposite end of where Chapman kicked that goal in 09 and I was desperately searching for the ball as it went high and the roof blocks that view.
Went a bit nuts celebrating after that though.

Standing at the G is fine.

Do it by choice some games.

For GF last standing room experience was 02 GF. In early get on the rail. With others then it is easy enough to hold spot for toilet / food runs.

Will be an amazing day if your team wins.

I stood last year in the Ponsford. I found everyone really accommodating and certainly didn't feel like I had to stake my claim. If you are standing, it will be in an area with just supporters of your own team. There was also a screen nearby so not being able to see the scoreboard wasn't an issue. If you're in a ballot, select you are happy with standing room, it will boost your chances of getting a ticket significantly.

i was at the 2015 GF. I walked through the gates as soon as they were open and the people with standing room tickets know where to go and they bee-line it to the best spots. You want to get their ASAP because by time the game starts people are standing 7 or 8 rows deep, so unless your 6"5 tall you wont see much.

Thanks mate!!!

Sight lines are genuinely fine. If you're there an hour or two before the bounce you'll be fine. Most people spend a lot of time outside the ground having BBQ's, sitting in Pubs and taking in other stuff, so you will be ok getting a spot as long as you don't run it too fine.

I've been to quite a few GF's and have been in standing 3 times, never really had an issue with seeing the game or losing a spot. It's like being in a crowd at a gig, where the people around you genuinely look out for each other.

You can't see the scoreboard but will generally have a big flatscreen TV right above you.

You will also lose the ball when it goes up high for big kicks, but nothing that really hurts your appreciation of the game.

I'm also someone who thinks that the whole bottom tier is rubbish and prefers the nosebleeds, but maybe I'm unique...
I'm with you on that. Would rather get a top down perspective and watch where the players run and how the game opens up.

I've done standing room at 3 GF's since 2012.

It's a great atmosphere -in fact, I've even gone and stood there when I've had a seat!

You shouldn't need to arrive at 9:30 - 1-2 hours before is usually plenty of time. Having said that, I'm pretty tall and don't mind being in the second row rather than the first so if you are shorter 2-3 hours would be safe.

As others have said, you can see everything but the scoreboard (and it gets a little hard when the ball is on the complete opposite side of the ground). You will have a TV right in front of you though for the sake of the score or to check a replay or a distant free or something.

The atmosphere is usually the best - loudest cheering, high fives, better banter, etc.

Enjoy the day!

I managed to see the Brisbane Three Peat, '01 I got a corporate ticket, '02 I sat 2nd tier of Southern, '03 Standing Room in the Southern Stand. Without doubt the standing room spot was the best, it helped that we were on and Pies supporters were eating their own by half time but the view was good and the atmosphere was unbelievable.

Like others here done standing room three times (2008, 2014, 2015) and it was beyond awesome. As Guardian Hawk notes that atmosphere is incredible.

My tips:

Make friends early and if you're a drinker, find a partner and take it turns in getting drinks in. You can protect each other's spot while having a great day on the beers. Worked a treat for me in 2008.

Take care of any kids in the area - let them stand up the front. You'll be able to see over them anyway (BTW the karma bus can hit you - a Geelong supporter in my area obstinately refused to give up their spot on the fence for some kids in 2008 and look what happened ;))

Understand it is going to tight and squishy - just go with the flow.

If you are drinking pace it - (sorry to sounds like everyone's mother here).

If there are opposition supporters in your bay, be friendly with them. Say something like "I apologise for anything stupid I say during the game - it's just the heat of the moment". I found most supporters have a laugh, say something similar and no aggro results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back