chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
I hate the constant rule changes but I'm wondering if it's time for the Rules Committee to address when a player standing the mark is constantly being interefered with by an opposition player while the player with the ball is 10-15m away. I think that any opposition player should keep 5m away from the mark unless play-on is called. If the ball is further away than 5m it can't be seen as shepherding and there should be no legal reason for the player standing the mark to be interfered with at all. The umps are very hot on the slightest creeping over the mark and pull out a 50m far too often yet are more than willing to overlook unwarranted hassling while a player is trying to do the right thing when standing the mark. Maybe the umps should either call for a bounce or pay a free the other way.
Thoughts?

I hate the constant rule changes but I'm wondering if it's time for the Rules Committee to address when a player standing the mark is constantly being interefered with by an opposition player while the player with the ball is 10-15m away. I think that any opposition player should keep 5m away from the mark unless play-on is called. If the ball is further away than 5m it can't be seen as shepherding and there should be no legal reason for the player standing the mark to be interfered with at all. The umps are very hot on the slightest creeping over the mark and pull out a 50m far too often yet are more than willing to overlook unwarranted hassling while a player is trying to do the right thing when standing the mark. Maybe the umps should either call for a bounce or pay a free the other way.
Thoughts?

This thread should be on the Rules, MRP page.

The man on the mark should be on the only player on the field protected from this crap; they're the only guy who is required to stand in one spot and focus their attention purely to the front.

It's crap and against the spirit of the game; no idea why they haven't clamped down on it (and it wouldn't be complicated <which might be the reason, they hate simple solutions>); just pay a couple of free kicks and let everyone know it's not on anymore.

No other player is allowed to stand within 5 metres either side of the man on the mark (it's still part of the protected area). The loophole in the law is that any player can stand behind the player on the mark, but the umpire should be awake to any illegal interference (ie. shepherding) or being proactive by telling the other players to move away. The field umpire can pay a free kick for shepherding, but he can at least make the player kick the ball again as a softer penalty.

No other player is allowed to stand within 5 metres either side of the man on the mark (it's still part of the protected area). The loophole in the law is that any player can stand behind the player on the mark, but the umpire should be awake to any illegal interference (ie. shepherding) or being proactive by telling the other players to move away. The field umpire can pay a free kick for shepherding, but he can at least make the player kick the ball again as a softer penalty.
In that case the umpires from Saturday night want a bollocking!

I always thought you weren't allowed to shepered the mark. I've seen it happen more and more lately. Should not be allowed

Sheperding the mark isn't allowed. In our comp if the player on the mark is blocked in such a way such that he can't run at the kicker should play-on be called, the instruction is to blow time-on, tell the sheperding player to bugger off and make the player take the kick again. In this case the defending team isn't discriminated against and the attacking team loses momentum which they didn't earn legally.

I always thought you weren't allowed to shepered the mark. I've seen it happen more and more lately. Should not be allowed
The rule was implemented a few years back after a St Kilda guy concussed Brad Symes.
Symes was on the mark, the guy with the ball played on, Symes was wiped out with a hip and shoulder instantly. Since that year (either 2008 or 2009 as it was the only times adelaide has played St Kilda at Etihad when Symes has played) the rule was implemented.

But in 2012 and 2011 I havn't seen it paid at all.

Another rule that dissapears after 1 year not to be seen of again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back