Opinion Star Athletic a disaster?

"Quality at a lower price" is just marketing jargon for "cut corners where ever possible to save as much money as we can".

That is sometimes the case, and probably is in the case of Star, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Sometimes "Quality at a lower price" can be achieved by leveraging economies of scale. (Classic example: introduction of the model T Ford)

Sometimes "Quality at a lower price" can be achieved through innovation. (Classic example: introduction of the quartz watch)

Sometimes "Quality at a lower price" can be achieved by stripping out aspects of a product that offer little or no value to the consumer. In the case of footy jumpers - that could mean irrelevant marketing campaigns and product endorsements.

Would a Collingwood supporter be more inclined to buy a Nike branded Collingwood jumper because Roger Federer wears Nike? Unlikely. Is Roger Federer expensive? Yes he is. As is his manager. As is the Nike marketing executive who signs the contract. As are the staff around him or her. As are the lawyers on both sides. As is the marketing campaign that accompanies the endorsement. All that stuff can be stripped out.

That always comes at the expense of the consumer. (Unless the consumer is happy with cheap low-quality goods, which many are)

The consumer is usually king. They vote with their dollar, it's the ultimate democracy.

But that doesn't work in the case of monopolies, and selling footy jumpers is a monopoly (for consumers who intend to remain loyal to their footy club)

In that case we rely on regulation - the terms of the contract in this situation. If Star Athletic hasn't worked out well for Collingwood, then there's nobody to blame except the folks who negotiated the contract on behalf of Collingwood.

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
Adidas is the best choice, followed by Nike. Emerging brands like UA could he considered but if we really are a big club it should be with one of the gisnts. Club gear is fashion and younger kids and adults want high quality and reputable brands.
I haven't even considered Star apparel and clean and maintain my 2006 Adidas gear like it's Jesus' robes. I wouldn't mind an update

Jul 31, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think I read earlier in this thread that we could go be going with ISC next year. Living in Adelaide, I see a fair amount of Port's gear getting around and it all looks pretty alright to me. Better than Star anyway.

Edit: I miss adidas so much though, I still wear my hoodie anytime I can even though the black has now degraded to a somewhat off grey colour now.

Hawthorn - Adidas

Hawthorn Stadium Jacket - $120 reduced from $180
Hawthorn Media Polo -$81 Member pricing - $90
Hawthorn Adult Guernsey - $108 Member pricing - $120

Collingwood - Star Athletic

Collingwood Winter Jacket - $133 reduced from $190
Collingwood Media Polo - $63 reduced from $90
Collingwood Adult Guernsey - $80 reduced from $120

Pies are reducing there price atm probably because we wont be playing finals, might not be with Star next year.

Have a look at the highlighted which is the standard pricing its pretty much identical.

Mar 31, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Adidas is the best choice, followed by Nike. Emerging brands like UA could he considered but if we really are a big club it should be with one of the gisnts. Club gear is fashion and younger kids and adults want high quality and reputable brands.
I haven't even considered Star apparel and clean and maintain my 2006 Adidas gear like it's Jesus' robes. I wouldn't mind an update
Emerging? They are not that far off Adidas at all both US and worldwide, they are in the top 5 sporting brands in the world and that includes brands like ESPN. They are one of the giants and only started in '96

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Emerging? They are not that far off Adidas at all both US and worldwide, they are in the top 5 sporting brands in the world and that includes brands like ESPN. They are one of the giants and only started in '96

I actually think that's something we can exploit. By and large UA isn't nearly as well recognised in Australia. In a joint venture discussion at my firm we talked about share investment overseas I put forward UA and the room just went, who? The end result was an investment in Nike because people know it.

Personally I don't think we're a good fit for them because my general feel is they attempt to attract exiting up and coming "brands" so teams like the Bulldogs and St Kilda would be more attractive from that perspective. That being said I can't help thinking UA teaming with Collingwood would do wonders for both parties because we're the biggest sporting club in Australia and they're definitely top end enough for us!

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
At first I was happy with Star cause Pert said that it was about Collingwood being able to control the price and keep costs down for supporters. Little did I realise it was about increasing the profit margins by charging the same as every other club for lower quality merchandise.

If they run the members forum again this year I'd love someone to get Pert to admit what it was really about

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
At first I was happy with Star cause Pert said that it was about Collingwood being able to control the price and keep costs down for supporters. Little did I realise it was about increasing the profit margins by charging the same as every other club for lower quality merchandise.

If they run the members forum again this year I'd love someone to get Pert to admit what it was really about

I think we should make it clear that we dont mind being overcharged for nike or adidas stuff because we can wear it overseas and impress people....but when you pay the same price for some brand that no-one has ever heard about, its ridiculous. It's like paying $100 for a Target t-shirt. It's like telling people, "I'm a loser"... I've gone back to wearing the t-shirts that I bought a few years ago. I just have to stretch them out a bit...

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hawthorn - Adidas

Pies are reducing there price atm probably because we wont be playing finals, might not be with Star next year.

Have a look at the highlighted which is the standard pricing its pretty much identical.
It's all way too over priced

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
image.jpeg

Free scarves tomorrow. Sorry we suck scarves?

collingwoodfc: 2016 members: Head to the Collingwood tent outside Gate 1 at the @MCG tomorrow, show your membership card + collect a free scarf! #gopies

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I often wear the 2009 Adidas polo. It shits all over the Star versions.

The Dawes

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2008
Punxutawney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Notts County FC,
Hawthorn - Adidas

Can't see myself ever paying $90 for a polo shirt unless it comes with a free horse

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can't see myself ever paying $90 for a polo shirt unless it comes with a free horse

Trust me on this one, there is no such thing as a free horse. At the very least we redefine your appreciation of what it means to be poor. on a bad day we also break random bones you care about.

We look awesome in all that tack though.

The Dawes

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2008
Punxutawney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Notts County FC,
Trust me on this one, there is no such thing as a free horse. At the very least we redefine your appreciation of what it means to be poor. on a bad day we also break random bones you care about.

We look awesome in all that tack though.

Yes, but you are a bad horse

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Free scarves tomorrow. Sorry we suck scarves?

collingwoodfc: 2016 members: Head to the Collingwood tent outside Gate 1 at the @MCG tomorrow, show your membership card + collect a free scarf! #gopies

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Interesting to step back a moment and think what this may mean for our membership numbers. And by that I mean actual members not memberships bought by selected corporate supporters en masse to inflate the figure, but actual people.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back