FTA-TV Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Remove this Banner Ad

Mara Singha

Cancelled
Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle

Third live-action Star Trek series.

7-ish years ago I watched season 1 and stopped. Since then I've watched all The Original Series, The Original Series movies, and am partway through season 6 of The Next Generation (Deep Space Nine aired concurrently with other series its whole run). Doing season 1 again and seeing all that stuff first is making me like it more. Setup of being on a space station, non-Starfleet characters in the main cast, and being near a wormhole feels more interesting for it.

According to the internet this show is as good as Star Trek ever got. Remember seeing some episodes as a kid so looking forward to finally going all the way through :)

Last edited:

It's quite good, although the arc got tiresome by the final season and the religious imagery/metaphors got a bit much for me, but on the whole, a great cast.

Totally agree. It took me out of it a few times late in season 7 with all of that stuff.

Really enjoyed season 3 as the Dominion threat emerged, and season 4 was excellent too with the Klingon conflict. Quality show overall.

Cardassians >>>> Kardashians

Big fan of Marc Alaimo (Gul Dukat), Avery Brooks (Benjamin Sisko), Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys), Armin Shimerman (Quark), Andrew Robinson (Garak) and Rene Auberjonois (Odo).

Only thing missing from DS9 were my all-time favourite adversaries from Voyager, The Borg and Species 8472 (the Undine).

Have always loved serialised sci-fi, was a fan of Babylon 5 around the same time. This is clearly the best Trek and I thought it was great right to the very end, including the slightly out-of-left-field ending. Great ensemble cast, so many good side characters. And it's not surprising one of the key writers went on to create Battlestar Galactica.

Have always loved serialised sci-fi, was a fan of Babylon 5 around the same time. This is clearly the best Trek and I thought it was great right to the very end, including the slightly out-of-left-field ending. Great ensemble cast, so many good side characters. And it's not surprising one of the key writers went on to create Battlestar Galactica.
Somewhat bizarrely, Ronald Moore was also the driving force behind Outlander (not quite the same, given that it's based on a series of books).

Bumped because Picard has made me want to talk about this show

I just wanted to mention that the episode In The Pale Moonlight is not only the best thing Star Trek has ever done, but is up there as one of the best episodes of anything I've ever seen, if for no other reason than that years of watching Star Trek had me never expecting to see an episode like that from them.

it's a faaaaake

Bumped because Picard has made me want to talk about this show

I just wanted to mention that the episode In The Pale Moonlight is not only the best thing Star Trek has ever done, but is up there as one of the best episodes of anything I've ever seen, if for no other reason than that years of watching Star Trek had me never expecting to see an episode like that from them.

it's a faaaaake

I’d certainly have this episode in my top 2 or 3 for DS9. The Visitor was outstanding however isn’t very rewatchable for me given it’s heavy content (if that makes sense). In The Pale Moonlight is outstanding, watched it again recently on Netflix. It’s a faaaake is all time, holy s**t the amount of times I’ve quoted that (even to myself in the mirror).

Doing a rewatch of Trek over the last year and trying to watch chronologically (using this timeline ... And Now the Conclusion!) so am currently working through both DS9 and Voyager. Really enjoying the re-watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came off last watching this in full for the first time last week. Like TNG, the first couple of seasons and first season feel a bit dated but once it gets going it's great. There's a few stinkers scattered towards the end, but overall still excellent.

Loved seeing more of Worf in this.

Garak was great. Even though he was mostly their for comedic value, he had a a couple of episodes where he got a few strong dramatic moments.

Nog, Rom and Quark all good value. Made Ferengi one of my favourite races.

The guy that played Brunt and Weyoun was great, wouldn't know they were the same actor.

Didn't know about Sisko at the start, but by the end he was all-time.

Jadzia nose-dove after being great at the start, not sure why they bothered brining Ezri in for a season.

Bashir was great but feel they wasted him a lot.

The show really felt like the characters at the start, wayward misfits who eventually came together on the station and made something great.

Sisko really deserves his story to be given a proper conclusion.

Doing a rewatch of Trek over the last year and trying to watch chronologically (using this timeline ... And Now the Conclusion!) so am currently working through both DS9 and Voyager. Really enjoying the re-watch.
Is it much of a head f*ck swtiching between series during the TNG/DS9/VOY episodes?

Like, sure, a minor inconvenience going from 1 series to another, but just looking at one point of the Chronology. Homefront ---> Paradise Lost ---> Prototype (Which I cant actually recall) ---> Death Wish.

Just such a change in themes. Going from preparing for a war and covert operations, and militarisation, into asking the questions of assisted suicide. Like, wtf.

Came off last watching this in full for the first time last week. Like TNG, the first couple of seasons and first season feel a bit dated but once it gets going it's great. There's a few stinkers scattered towards the end, but overall still excellent.

Loved seeing more of Worf in this.

Garak was great. Even though he was mostly their for comedic value, he had a a couple of episodes where he got a few strong dramatic moments.

Nog, Rom and Quark all good value. Made Ferengi one of my favourite races.

The guy that played Brunt and Weyoun was great, wouldn't know they were the same actor.

Didn't know about Sisko at the start, but by the end he was all-time.

Jadzia nose-dove after being great at the start, not sure why they bothered brining Ezri in for a season.

Bashir was great but feel they wasted him a lot.

The show really felt like the characters at the start, wayward misfits who eventually came together on the station and made something great.

Sisko really deserves his story to be given a proper conclusion.
Bringing Ezri in made sense, with the Trill, they could work some good stories in.

However, my qualm is she got the 7 of 9 treatment. They went too heavy which meant other characters lost development :(

WTF - The position of Insurrection - At least do that after the Dominion War.

Hate the idea of the Federation being in the middle of a bloody intergalactic war and the flagship of the bloody fleet is at the Baku homeworld and starfleet are wasting resources into such a frivolous exercise (In peace, okay, but not in the biggest war seen in the star trek universe.

I’d certainly have this episode in my top 2 or 3 for DS9. The Visitor was outstanding however isn’t very rewatchable for me given it’s heavy content (if that makes sense). In The Pale Moonlight is outstanding, watched it again recently on Netflix. It’s a faaaake is all time, holy s**t the amount of times I’ve quoted that (even to myself in the mirror).
Off the top of my head, Duet, The Visitor and In the Pale Moonlight are the three best episodes of DS9. Duet coming in the first season and hitting such a high is very imprressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back