Streaming Star Trek: Discovery

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Coming later this year (2017) to Netflix is a new Star Trek series, Star Trek: Discovery.

The following is a trailer that was released in July 2016.

I'm old enough to remember the original runs of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: DS9, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise. At the time DS9 was released, I was a much bigger fan of Babylon 5 than DS9 (and though I still prefer Babylon 5, DS9 has grown on me with subsequent viewings).

Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman are some of the executive producers. Fuller worked on DS9 and Voyager as a writer, and on Voyager as a story editor and co-producer. He's well-known for the original run of Heroes, Pushing Daisies and Hannibal.

Kurtzman was a co-writer and executive producer on Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness.

Nicholas Meyer (directed Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and co-wrote Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country) is a consulting producer on the show.

Michelle Yeoh is probably the highest profile actor associated with the show, as a recurring guest star.

I came across the trailer on Netflix last night. However, there's a report out today questioning whether the show will actually ever be broadcast after recurring delays have forced the premiere to be deferred from 2016 to May 2017 to now summer or autumn (US time) 2017.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I read it's an "anthology series" with each season set in a different time and place. Assuming it doesn't get cancelled after one season, of course.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
It has been cast, been filming since January and some episodes are already in post-production, so I doubt at this point that it won't be broadcast. Particularly when you think of the names they have involved; Fuller, Kurtzmann, Meyer.

That said, it's definitely had its issues. Fuller was supposed to be the main writer and showrunner, which would have been great. In addition to being a genuine fan of Star Trek and getting his start on DS9, he was also responsible for the amazing Hannibal. But he pulled out to focus on American Gods. The story overview is still apparently his, so who knows how it will end up. One of the reasons for the initial delay was to polish the scripts, so they clearly weren't entirely happy.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. I was a fan of Next Gen and particularly DS9 (which, along with B5, did serials before it was cool). I lost interest partway through Voyager and never got into Enterprise. But I prefer the tone of the show to the big action blockbusters of the reboots.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Coming later this year (2017) to Netflix is a new Star Trek series, Star Trek: Discovery.

[...]

I came across the trailer on Netflix last night.

It's actually being made for CBS All Access. Netflix has just bought the rights for a stack of countries outside America.

At the rate I'm going through the earlier series (still in season 2 of the Original Series) I probably won't watch it until 2020 :$

Donners

Cancelled
Ex-Moderator
Sep 1, 2002
AFL Club
Sydney
At the rate I'm going through the earlier series (still in season 2 of the Original Series) I probably won't watch it until 2020 :$

Eh, just watch TOS and Enterprise, and you'll be all caught up to the setting for this show.

You can pretty much skip season 3 of TOS anyway, since it's terrible.

Nine have been playing the movies featuring the cast of the original series back to back for the last couple of weeks. They broadcast Star Trek V and VI last night. Quite a few of the actors were showing their age by the time The Undiscovered Country was made

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Nine have been playing the movies featuring the cast of the original series back to back for the last couple of weeks. They broadcast Star Trek V and VI last night. Quite a few of the actors were showing their age by the time The Undiscovered Country was made

1960s Shatner and Boston Legal Shatner look like completely different people.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
So this is about a war with the Klingons? That has some promise.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
That new trailer is uninspiring. Does't feel like Star Trek. Just some generic sci-fi shot in space.
I thought the trailer looked flash and like some of the premium shows you find in HBO and the like. I agree it felt a little less like Star Trek. I'm unsure whether they will maintain that cinematic feel or if the trailer is normal Star Trek all dressed up. Either way, I found the Klingons intriguing and this has raised my hopes a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Donners

Cancelled
Ex-Moderator
Sep 1, 2002
AFL Club
Sydney
Should be on Netflix from 5pm on Monday.

Reactions from the premiere yesterday were very positive. Fingers crossed.

Cheesewheel

All Australian
Aug 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watched the first ep, feels nothing like the old star trek series' and a lot more like the Abrams films. A lot of fun, the special effects are off the charts for a tv series.

1 bad thing is that everything is shot at a dutch angle what the * is up with that.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Yeah the first two eps show a lot of promise.

Feels like Star Trek on steroids, but in a good way, not a characterless Michael Bay way.

Hmm, seems like I'm in the minority then. Watched the first 25-30 minutes of the pilot and didn't really enjoy it all that much. I will continue to watch it, but I felt that the special effects really overshadowed everything else.

Donners

Cancelled
Ex-Moderator
Sep 1, 2002
AFL Club
Sydney
I loved it. Had a few flaws, but it really showed a lot of promise.

It looks like there will be a pretty big shift from the next episode, since we haven't even met most of the cast, so hopefully it will continue to go strongly.

I really hope it does well, and that its dubious distribution method in the US and that the whiny portion of the fanbase (who hated it long before it came out) don't hold it back.

Nearly turned it off after the intro, exposition and writing was horrible. Glad I didn't though and turned into quite a compelling few episodes. Though I do hope they make an effort to make the Klingon more sympathetic than stock standard baddies.
I don't think they were stock standard. I thought it was great to see it from their point of view, to them the Federation is just like the Borg, a great assimilator of unique cultures into a homogenised whole.

To the Klingons, with their culture of battle and honour, the Federation are the bad guys who want to destroy them. Not physically with weapons, but by absorption.

They seem much more alien than previous versions, and their values and those of the Federation are completely incompatible.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I don't think they were stock standard. I thought it was great to see it from their point of view, to them the Federation is just like the Borg, a great assimilator of unique cultures into a homogenised whole.

To the Klingons, with their culture of battle and honour, the Federation are the bad guys who want to destroy them. Not physically with weapons, but by absorption.

They seem much more alien than previous versions, and their values and those of the Federation are completely incompatible.

I did like the part where he said they absorb culture, but the danger for mine is that every Klingon be a cookie cutter character.

I've been conditioned by shows like Game of Thrones where anything lacking nuance seems phoned in. Still early days of course just a bit wary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back