Streaming Star Trek: Discovery

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

The first episode came to screen and overall it was OK. I thought from the time Pyke lands on the Discovery to after all the asteroid business (including Tilly) was decent sci fi action TV. All the rest of the Michael Burnham crap with her bad relationship with Spock/family history crap etc. tedious and boring.

The writers and show runners need to be careful to ensure that Pike, Spock and Sarek do not overshadow the current characters.

There has been so much written and filmed about Spock in particular and to a lesser extent Pike and Sarek.

It was a good touch to have the bridge crew sound off early in the episode because we didn't learn much about them in the first series.

But I don't want this to be a show just about Pike, Spock and Burnham. I want more involvement from Saru, Stamets, Tilly, etc.

I fear that what we will get is more the former than the latter.

I’m happy for Pike to be a major season character, much like Lorca last season, given there’s less known about him than other big names. I do agree Spock should be used sparingly and the rest of the crew given a bit of time to shine. I enjoyed the first episode and felt they got the balance kinda right.

For a franchise that is based around 'boldly going where no one has gone before' they sure love going back to the goddam Enterprise time and time again. Why can't they do a series that continues from after DS9 and Voyager? Are they afraid that no one is interested in anything new? That was why I couldn't get into 'Enterprise' back in the day and why I'm struggling a bit with this.

For a franchise that is based around 'boldly going where no one has gone before' they sure love going back to the goddam Enterprise time and time again. Why can't they do a series that continues from after DS9 and Voyager? Are they afraid that no one is interested in anything new? That was why I couldn't get into 'Enterprise' back in the day and why I'm struggling a bit with this.
Funny you should raise this... Last week's episode of The Orville poked fun at Star Trek's lack of "boldly going", and the number of storylines which revolved around transporting VIPs & cargoes.

Funny you should raise this... Last week's episode of The Orville poked fun at Star Trek's lack of "boldly going", and the number of storylines which revolved around transporting VIPs & cargoes.
I haven't watched the Orville, missed the first season and the SBS streaming thing doesn't work on the PS4 anymore. I watched the first ep of season 2 of Discovery last night and I couldn't help but think how much I missed the sense of 'going forward' like we had waaay back in the nineties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voyager and Enterprise were always pretty s**t. DS9 and Next Gen were the quality entries.
I recently went back and watched 'In The Pale Moonlight' from DS9, an episode that pretty much turned the whole Star Trek Roddenberry ethos on its head and is one of my favourites of all time. A pity that they decided to go backwards after Voyager, as now they keep trying to shoehorn things in that would have been better explored in a show that went forwards instead of backwards, like everyone having heard of Section 31 and also with cool new drive technology that they somehow have to explain away as why no one's heard of that years later. Plus characters like Tilly make me wonder who the show is aimed at, as it doesn't seem to be people like me from the TNG and DS9 era

I recently went back and watched 'In The Pale Moonlight' from DS9, an episode that pretty much turned the whole Star Trek Roddenberry ethos on its head and is one of my favourites of all time. A pity that they decided to go backwards after Voyager, as now they keep trying to shoehorn things in that would have been better explored in a show that went forwards instead of backwards, like everyone having heard of Section 31 and also with cool new drive technology that they somehow have to explain away as why no one's heard of that years later. Plus characters like Tilly make me wonder who the show is aimed at, as it doesn't seem to be people like me from the TNG and DS9 era
DS9 took a while to find its feet but was making great episodes from the very beginning. The season 1 episode Duet is one of the best Trek episodes ever, very nuanced.

I’m starting to have faith in Discovery looking futuristic but explaining things away. They just explained away the lack of holographic communications in TOS. It seems pretty obvious the spore drive will be banned because of its side effects. And I think Section 31 will eventually be forced into the shadows (it’s getting a whole series to explain some of this away). But it’s nice to be getting the Picard series set forward and hopefully there will be more to come.

Last edited:
I don't mind Discovery.

I think that's because The Orville is catering for ST fans that liked NG and that means a darker more serious ST can run along side that at the same time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back