Streaming Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

i like it way better than the other two

modern tv seems way too obsessed with having season long story arcs and making each season like a 10 hour movie

i miss star trek where each episode was a self contained story and its refreshing to have it again. that being said im not a fan of how unprofessional the crew seems to act, especially to superior officers. could you ever imagine laforge talking to riker the way this engineer talks to number 1? it's not as bad as discovery, but you're in a quasi military organisation with a clear command structure, act like it.

i'll give it a chance. even TNG was mostly garbage for the first two seasons

i like it way better than the other two

modern tv seems way too obsessed with having season long story arcs and making each season like a 10 hour movie

i miss star trek where each episode was a self contained story and its refreshing to have it again. that being said im not a fan of how unprofessional the crew seems to act, especially to superior officers. could you ever imagine laforge talking to riker the way this engineer talks to number 1? it's not as bad as discovery, but you're in a quasi military organisation with a clear command structure, act like it.

i'll give it a chance. even TNG was mostly garbage for the first two seasons
I agree. This is why I loved The Orville because they went back to the one-hour format.

I agree. This is why I loved The Orville because they went back to the one-hour format.

it helps when the characters are generally likeable too. i hope they dont make security lady being a relative of khan a big deal, and i think number 1 being genetically modified is a story that was already done with bashir, but overall i dont outright hate anyone yet and thats way better than discovery has managed to do

really hope they dont stick khan in the show. this show doesnt need a big bad villian yet, if ever. the borg were the best villians TNG ever had and they were in 4 episodes in 7 years. (yes im counting the 2 parters as one episode)

it helps when the characters are generally likeable too. i hope they dont make security lady being a relative of khan a big deal, and i think number 1 being genetically modified is a story that was already done with bashir, but overall i dont outright hate anyone yet and thats way better than discovery has managed to do

really hope they dont stick khan in the show. this show doesnt need a big bad villian yet, if ever. the borg were the best villians TNG ever had and they were in 4 episodes in 7 years. (yes im counting the 2 parters as one episode)
I think Khan will be the next show. References in Picard and now this suggest there's something coming.

while the twist (something is wrong with the state of planet whatsisname this week) could be seen coming a mile off this felt like the most next generationy episode they have put out since that show ended.

i like they did an episode where they 'lose', and the federations rules mean there isnt a god damn thing pike can do about it. if this was discovery space jesus would have violated the prime directive, kidnapped the kid, started a war, cried and ended up being made admiral for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was an interesting finale, with the appearance of Captain James Kirk in an alternative timeline theme. This was an alternative version of the TOS episode called Balance of Terror, where Kirk defeats the Romulans in the same scenario and the Romulans decide to leave The Federation alone because of Kirk's actions. Obviously, this one had different consequences as Kirk was not Captain of the Enterprise. I did like the voice of Scotty talking to Spock on the coms as the Vulcan was repairing the phasers. I'm not sure the episode worked that well, to be honest, but I appreciated what they were trying to do.

The whole season has been pretty good with some real nods to TOS, even some costume dramas which were very TOS. The 4K CGI and the sets were really a stand-out of the series. They must've spent millions on production. I have mixed feelings about the characters as a whole. Nurse Chappel has to be my fav. Ethan Beck's Spock is too emotional for me. Pyke seemed more wishy-washy at times than I remember in his Discovery appearances. But that may be because of his struggle with knowing how he'll die.

I don't think this series will go down as one of the best ST franchises, but it's pretty solid just the same. 7/10 (Good)

It was an interesting finale, with the appearance of Captain James Kirk in an alternative timeline theme. This was an alternative version of the TOS episode called Balance of Terror, where Kirk defeats the Romulans in the same scenario and the Romulans decide to leave The Federation alone because of Kirk's actions. Obviously, this one had different consequences as Kirk was not Captain of the Enterprise. I did like the voice of Scotty talking to Spock on the coms as the Vulcan was repairing the phasers. I'm not sure the episode worked that well, to be honest, but I appreciated what they were trying to do.

The whole season has been pretty good with some real nods to TOS, even some costume dramas which were very TOS. The 4K CGI and the sets were really a stand-out of the series. They must've spent millions on production. I have mixed feelings about the characters as a whole. Nurse Chappel has to be my fav. Ethan Beck's Spock is too emotional for me. Pyke seemed more wishy-washy at times than I remember in his Discovery appearances. But that may be because of his struggle with knowing how he'll die.

I don't think this series will go down as one of the best ST franchises, but it's pretty solid just the same. 7/10 (Good)

I thought it was a TOS episode but haven't watched them in years.

I think they wanted to use this season as a 'reset' and 'rebase' of what they want ST to be going forward, after the missteps with Discovery. Now that they can get a read on reaction to this season, they'll be able to use it as a launch for what they explore in the coming seasons and shows. So I think it can only be a good thing that we've got this as the standard bearer for ST IMO.

I wasn't a fan of the episode where they blatantly ripped off Alien, complete with chest bursters.

Overall though, I thought it was easily the best ST series since DS9. Nurse Chapel is nothing like Majel Barrett's character, and Spock is way too emotional, but they're both very watchable.

Actually, all of the characters are compelling to watch. It's almost the anti-Voyager, where the only decent character was a hologram.

This series is soooo much better than Discovery.

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wasn't a fan of the episode where they blatantly ripped off Alien, complete with chest bursters.

Overall though, I thought it was easily the best ST series since DS9. Nurse Chapel is nothing like Majel Barrett's character, and Spock is way too emotional, but they're both very watchable.

Actually, all of the characters are compelling to watch. It's almost the anti-Voyager, where the only decent character was a hologram.

This series is soooo much better than Discovery.

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haha yeah rolled my eyes massively at that episode. Not helped by watching an almost identical Orville episode soon after.

I do wonder if those characters are going to progress through the show to more closely align to their TOS equivalents, or if it's just going to end up being poetic license. As you say though, they're all very compelling characters which helps. They're already much more distinguishable and enjoyable characters than Discovery's bloated crew of nothings.

Fun fact, Majel Barrett was the only actor to appear in every ST series, at least as far as Voyager. She played numerous roles over the years, including providing the voice for the ship's computer in TNG.

I believe she was originally cast (as Nurse Chapel in TOS) because she was Gene Rodenberry's wife.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really like this show. I'd temporarily given up on ST but the Orville peeps recommended it to me and I binged through it in no time.

So far it's my favourite ST ever:

- TNG, Voyager and DS9 I always enjoyed eps when they came on tv, but never felt the urge to watch from start to finish

- Enterprise grabbed me for the first season, but then I lost interest

- Discovery I tried to convince myself I liked but it was just gloomy self-flagellation to get through and I gave up after one season

- Picard I didn't even bother

But this grabbed me straight away. Loved the Captain, loved the storylines. Felt like the perfect mix of TNG nostalgia and Discovery grittiness for me.

I really like this show. I'd temporarily given up on ST but the Orville peeps recommended it to me and I binged through it in no time.

- TNG, Voyager and DS9 I always enjoyed eps when they came on tv, but never felt the urge to watch from start to finish

- Discovery I tried to convince myself I liked but it was just gloomy self-flagellation to get through and I gave up after one season

But this grabbed me straight away. Loved the Captain, loved the storylines. Felt like the perfect mix of TNG nostalgia and Discovery grittiness for me.

It has been raved at the best series since TNG. Imma need to check this out

It has been raved at the best series since TNG. Imma need to check this out

You'll find yourself wondering if Pike is the sexiest 50yo ever (and the answer is yes)

I'm considering investing in barrels of hair gel and grey rinse as I age.

You'll find yourself wondering if Pike is the sexiest 50yo ever (and the answer is yes)

He's very good. Imma say 50 year old Riker is better ;)

Ooh he's from Louisiana as well (big points)

220px-Jeffrey_Hunter_Sgt_Rutledge.jpg

What a chad he was

Oh wait, that's not Anson Mount. My bad

I couldn't be bothered with Voyager but liked DS9 and Enterprise towards the end of their runs Picard had potential but was padded out and should have been half as long. Discovery started well but is almost unwatchable these days.

Strange New Worlds is better than all of them, good stories and pretty good acting.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back