FTA-TV Star Trek: The Next Generation

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah the last season of DS9 reminds me of the last seasons of SG-1. Too caught up in its own mythos and becoming a bit too self-aggrandizing. The middle seasons of DS9 were fantastic though.

DS9 is awesome, my favorite star trek. Personally I didn't enjoy season 7 but loved the rest of the series. Too much focus on Ezri. There were better stories to tell that were lost as a result.
Seasons 5 and 6 were better, but I genuinely enjoyed the conclusion. I watched the final run of episodes (last six or seven, I think) recently and it was still great: morally complex, interesting, action packed. The show was obviously caught off-guard with Terry Farrell leaving, so there was a need to establish this new character for viewers to care about. Bit of a necessary evil.

Season 1 of TNG is Roddenberry Trek the way he wanted it to be made.

I think it's pretty great if you enjoy it as a separate piece and take it for the quirky and slow story telling of what he thinks the future might be like.

No excusing the racist episode though, and Justice is extremely creepy too.

Seasons 5 and 6 were better, but I genuinely enjoyed the conclusion. I watched the final run of episodes (last six or seven, I think) recently and it was still great: morally complex, interesting, action packed. The show was obviously caught off-guard with Terry Farrell leaving, so there was a need to establish this new character for viewers to care about. Bit of a necessary evil.

My understanding is that the producers weren't all that keen on Farrell returning. She had a contract for six seasons and when it ended, the producers didn't offer Farrell either an extension or a new contract. Farrell wanted to return as a recurring guest during season 7 but the producers weren't interested.

Subsequently, Terry Farrell married Adam Nimoy, Leonard's son.

My understanding is that the producers weren't all that keen on Farrell returning. She had a contract for six seasons and when it ended, the producers didn't offer Farrell either an extension or a new contract. Farrell wanted to return as a recurring guest during season 7 but the producers weren't interested.

Subsequently, Terry Farrell married Adam Nimoy, Leonard's son.
It's been a long time since I was up to date on any DS9 news :p But I recall her leaving to make Becker because she wanted to be a 'legit' actor. I mean, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a core character, involve her in critical storylines with other characters (like the marriage to Worf) and then punt her.

Episode 11 "Haven"

"Lwaxana Troi visits her daughter, Counselor Troi, and prepares her for an arranged marriage" made me think this was going to be a s**t one and it was. However it was kind of amusing to see the Nurse Chapel actress older and playing a different character.

I think a couple of people in this thread have said season 1 Gene Roddenberry just took what he was doing in the 60s and resumed it in in the 80s. Episodes like this really feel like that. Hasn't aged well.

Episode 11 "Haven"

"Lwaxana Troi visits her daughter, Counselor Troi, and prepares her for an arranged marriage" made me think this was going to be a s**t one and it was. However it was kind of amusing to see the Nurse Chapel actress older and playing a different character.

I think a couple of people in this thread have said season 1 Gene Roddenberry just took what he was doing in the 60s and resumed it in in the 80s. Episodes like this really feel like that. Hasn't aged well.
The actress who plays Nurse Chapel (AKA Lwaxana Troi) was Gene Rodenberry's wife. She appeared in all of the Star Trek series, at least as far as Voyager - possibly Enterprise. She also provides the voice for the Enterprise's computer in TNG.

Yeah the last season of DS9 reminds me of the last seasons of SG-1. Too caught up in its own mythos and becoming a bit too self-aggrandizing. The middle seasons of DS9 were fantastic though.

My problem with DS9 is that we had a war that went for four years, but it was all decided in one episode, the finale.

TNG is my favourite, and I think closest to the utopian vision of Gene Roddenberry. It's only let down by some poor characters or actors, such as Troi and Crusher and LaForge, who were often fairly wooden when they had to carry an episode.

TNG is my favourite, and I think closest to the utopian vision of Gene Roddenberry. It's only let down by some poor characters or actors, such as Troi and Crusher and LaForge, who were often fairly wooden when they had to carry an episode.
You forget the worst character of all time... Wesley Crusher, AKA Boy Blunder.

How many times did he endanger the ship, only to receive warm fuzzies from the Chrome Dome Gnome, when the rest of the crew had fixed his mess? I kept hoping he'd die. Instead, they turned him into a God. Grrr!

Episode 19 "Coming of Age"

After a run of s**t episodes this was pretty good. Wesley Crusher (who seems to be hated on the internet but I don't mind him so far) sits tests to try and get into Starfleet Academy, while some Admiral tries to get Captain Picard to go into politics. No alien-of-the-week just characters being all character-y.

Episode 19 "Coming of Age"

After a run of s**t episodes this was pretty good. Wesley Crusher (who seems to be hated on the internet but I don't mind him so far) sits tests to try and get into Starfleet Academy, while some Admiral tries to get Captain Picard to go into politics. No alien-of-the-week just characters being all character-y.
Boy Blunder spends his entire career doing things which endanger the ship & crew. Instead of being thrown off the ship for (a) being a serial pest, and (b) being a danger to anyone within 5 light years of him, he's ultimately sent to StarFleet and then becomes a God.

If I were on the Starship Enterprise 1701D, Wesley Crusher would have been shown the outside of an airlock before the end of Season 1.

Unfortunately the Chrome Dome Gnome has paternal instincts which override his instinct for self preservation. I suspect a large part of that is due to the fact that he was responsible for the death of Wesley's father.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boy Blunder spends his entire career doing things which endanger the ship & crew. Instead of being thrown off the ship for (a) being a serial pest, and (b) being a danger to anyone within 5 light years of him, he's ultimately sent to StarFleet and then becomes a God.

If I were on the Starship Enterprise 1701D, Wesley Crusher would have been shown the outside of an airlock before the end of Season 1.

Unfortunately the Chrome Dome Gnome has paternal instincts which override his instinct for self preservation. I suspect a large part of that is due to the fact that he was responsible for the death of Wesley's father.
Been a long time since I've seen it but I think that's seriously overstating it. He's not responsible for all the dangers he's involved in and they have him save the day on more than one occasion.

First episode of Deep Space Nine was my favourite. Felt more like a movie back when I saw it.

Episode 23 "Skin of Evil"

This wasn't bad. Tasha Yar dies. The first Star Trek series regular to be killed and really be dead. She was alright but you can see how it'll open up space for the remaining characters. Unless she gets replaced with someone else. Her recorded speech at the end is dated but still good.

Episode 23 "Skin of Evil"

This wasn't bad. Tasha Yar dies. The first Star Trek series regular to be killed and really be dead. She was alright but you can see how it'll open up space for the remaining characters. Unless she gets replaced with someone else. Her recorded speech at the end is dated but still good.
She's dead, and wasn't replaced by any new character.

The only character who was actually replaced during the series was Dr Crusher. Her replacement lasted 1 season, before they brought Dr Crusher back again.

Season 2 Episode 3 "Elementary, Dear Data"

Niles (Daniel Davis) from The Nanny is in it haha. Didn't expect it. He's a pretty good actor in the dramatic role.

moriatyinset.jpg

Last edited:
Season 2 Episode 3 "Elementary, Dear Data"

Niles (Daniel Davis) from The Nanny is in it haha. Didn't expect it. He's a pretty good actor in the dramatic role.

moriatyinset.jpg

Yeah he's great.

Season 2 Episode 13 "Time Squared"

Two Picards and time travel. But it sucks. Roddenberry ruined somebody's idea I suspect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back