FTA-TV Star Trek: The Next Generation

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Hello Star Trek fans and people who can't sleep some night in the future!

From the 1990s until 2009 (when The Original Series characters were soft rebooted in an alternate timeline movie series) this was probably the most famous Star Trek television series. Captain Picard. The Borg. Other stuff. It happened in this show. I remember watching some episodes with my brother when I was younger. My effort to watch all of Star Trek has brought me here.

Episode 1 "Encounter at Farpoint" (Originally aired September 28th, 1987)

I enjoyed this. After getting through all the earlier series and movies it's a bit strange having a new cast of characters but I remember enough of the 90s Trek to be glad I'm finally at this point.

Picard is balding and old enough to have grey hair. That's a relatively bold change from Kirk.

Q is a dicky character but he's well used in this episode to bring us up to speed on the setting.

Dr McCoy! His brief scene as an elderly man was nice. Although I guess this means he doesn't die in the following movies #spoilers

Last edited:
Hello Star Trek fans and people who can't sleep some night in the future!

From the 1990s until 2009 (when The Original Series characters were soft rebooted in an alternate timeline movie series) this was probably the most famous Star Trek television series. Captain Picard. The Borg. Other stuff. It happened in this show. I remember watching some episodes with my brother when I was younger. My effort to watch all of Star Trek has brought me here.

Episode 1 "Encounter at Farpoint" (Originally aired September 28th, 1987)

I enjoyed this. After getting through all the earlier series and movies it's a bit strange having a new cast of characters but I remember enough of the 90s Trek to be glad I'm finally at this point.

Picard is balding and old enough to have grey hair. That's a relatively bold change from Kirk.

Q is a dicky character but he's well used in this episode to bring us up to speed on the setting.

Dr McCoy! His brief scene as an elderly man was nice. Although I guess this means he doesn't die in the following movies #spoilers

It is weird as did watch a lot of this at times in 1990's late at night but was not as if knew what episode it was or in what order, or even if made that year or many before. Just caught it from time to time and for it's time was great sci-fi show that made you think about the concepts brought up.

But unlike now had no expectation of each episode building on the one before. Would be weird now watching in order with expectations I have now of shows. Would have no clue how many I seen and how many I never seen.

It is weird as did watch a lot of this at times in 1990's late at night but was not as if knew what episode it was or in what order, or even if made that year or many before. Just caught it from time to time and for it's time was great sci-fi show that made you think about the concepts brought up.

But unlike now had no expectation of each episode building on the one before. Would be weird now watching in order with expectations I have now of shows. Would have no clue how many I seen and how many I never seen.

There's a plot where a girl from a planet joins the crew and then is never seen again lol.

Star Trek - The original series and Next Generation were Days of our Lives in space. I enjoyed them, but I've always liked sci-fi with an on-going plot more. So of the Star Treks DS9, once the Dominion was encountered was my favourite. And enjoyed Discovery recently for much the same reason.

Still the lack of any real relationship between episodes does make it easy to just sit down and watch whatever episode is on, without having to think too hard.

There's a plot where a girl from a planet joins the crew and then is never seen again lol.
The Enterprise is supposed to have a crew of around 700, so it's not entirely unreasonable.

... but yes, that is a problem with "Alien of the week" type shows, where there is little continuity from one episode to the next.

Episode 2 "The Naked Now"

This was a bit crap, too comedic, and a redo of an original series episode. Episode 2 is too early for a comedy episode and a star blowing up plays secondary to it. Was clock watching from halfway through. It also looks like an original series episode but not in an endearing way but in a lazy Greg Grainger way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Episode 2 "The Naked Now"

This was a bit crap, too comedic, and a redo of an original series episode. Episode 2 is too early for a comedy episode and a star blowing up plays secondary to it. Was clock watching from halfway through. It also looks like an original series episode but not in an endearing way but in a lazy Greg Grainger way.
The first season is very much made in the same style as the original series. It wasn't until Gene died that NG found its own voice.

• Jonathan Frakes referred to the episode as a "racist piece of s**t." [3] At a 2007 science fiction convention in Toronto, Canada, he told the audience, "The worst and most embarrassing and one that even Gene would have been embarrassed by was that horrible racist episode from the first season 'Code of Honor', oh my God in heaven!" [4]
  • Brent Spiner regarded this episode as the "worst episode we ever did" and "an inadvertently racist episode." (The Fifty-Year Mission: The Next 25 Years, p. 82) In a 2012 interview with TrekMovie.com, Spiner recalled, "It ["Code of Honor"] was just a racist episode. Maybe not intentionally but it felt that way and looked that way. It was the third episode so it was fortuitous that we did our worst that early on and it never got quite that bad again." [5]
  • According to Wesley Crusher actor Wil Wheaton, 'if the cast wasn't arbitrarily decided to be African-American,' the idea of the episode being racist or non-racist wouldn't have been an issue. [6]
  • Michael Dorn (Worf) does not appear in this episode. This is his first non-appearance. The only other TNG episode in which he does not appear is "Haven". At the 2013 Toronto Comic Con's "An Evening With the Cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation", Dorn referred to this episode as "the worst episode of Star Trek ever filmed," to agreement from the rest of the cast and the crowd. [7] La Forge actor LeVar Burton wasn't proud of the episode, either. [8]

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Code_of_Honor_(episode)#Cast_and_characters

Racist or not it's a terrible episode. I'm not sure it was deliberately racist (the alien were originally meant to be lizard based samurai) but it certainly feels that way through bad casting and lazy changes to the script.

On the other hand without episodes like this most early alien groups end up white skinned and a lot of black actors would've missed out on work. Life is complicated.

Star Trek - The original series and Next Generation were Days of our Lives in space. I enjoyed them, but I've always liked sci-fi with an on-going plot more. So of the Star Treks DS9, once the Dominion was encountered was my favourite. And enjoyed Discovery recently for much the same reason.

Still the lack of any real relationship between episodes does make it easy to just sit down and watch whatever episode is on, without having to think too hard.

Solid bump.

Hard to find these days, particularly in Australia, but I would highly recommend Babylon 5. The creator (J. Michael Straczynski - also responsible for Sense8 among other things) mapped out a five year arc for the show to follow. He wrote the majority of the episodes, in addition to being its executive producer.

If you can find it, watch it.

Ascension is a good sci-fi show if you don't mind that it was cancelled after 6 episodes. Interesting stuff on a generation ship.

Solid bump.

Hard to find these days, particularly in Australia, but I would highly recommend Babylon 5. The creator (J. Michael Straczynski - also responsible for Sense8 among other things) mapped out a five year arc for the show to follow. He wrote the majority of the episodes, in addition to being its executive producer.

Season 2 and 3 is better than any season star trek has produced. Great writing and excellent acting.

Solid bump.

I watched Babylon 5 from the start (and all it’s follow ons). It’s my favourite sci-fi show. I met my wife 20 years ago, over us discussing B5 on a Mud (look that up WoW kiddies). :D

Last edited:
Babylon 5 is fantastic but so is DS9; season 5-7 are exceptional and the conclusion so satisfying.
DS9 is awesome, my favorite star trek. Personally I didn't enjoy season 7 but loved the rest of the series. Too much focus on Ezri. There were better stories to tell that were lost as a result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back