FTA-TV Star Trek: The Next Generation

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 5 Episode 11 "Hero Worship"

Does Patrick Stewart wear a jacket because he's now a big enough star to force the matter?

Actually I think I confused myself with what Star Trek I watched more of after TNG. I do not think it was Voyager.
Voyager is the one with female captain ? If so, watched some episodes from time to time but just randomly and never sort it out to watch. Deep Space Nine I think is the one I watched after TNG and had a super pilot episode but that was probably it's highlight. After that it was ok but not compelling. Think it is the one with the shape shifter security guy and the female actress officer that later ended up on Becker. Did not mind it at times but never enjoyed it as much as TNG or the 60's cult original series.

DS9 for me just shades TNG, it was consistently better. TNG had more “great” episodes, however it also had many more meh episodes in between. DS9 didn’t have the same fluctuations for me, if that makes sense.

Voyager I stuck with but doesn’t stack up the above two. I feel it suffered from having too many characters. And then too much screen time then devoted to other new and side characters along the way, leaving the others to kind of just drift along with the same arcs they’ve had for a few seasons.

Tried Discovery, gave it a decent crack, however utterly unlikable lead characters made it difficult for me to stick with. Not for me.

Enterprise had that good season long arc with the Xindi, however the final episode of that season was very poor imo (won’t go into spoilers) and was such a letdown that I struggled from there.

Binge watched Picard last week and that was fantastic. A real return to form, wish there was more episodes but pleased it’s been renewed for at least another season.

Have occasionally seen that TNG on TV randomly in the past few years, but I swear every time it's the episode where Data has a girlfriend. Not good, and even though it's on all the time I still can't remember what the poltergeist thing in it was.

DS9 for me just shades TNG, it was consistently better. TNG had more “great” episodes, however it also had many more meh episodes in between. DS9 didn’t have the same fluctuations for me, if that makes sense.

Voyager I stuck with but doesn’t stack up the above two. I feel it suffered from having too many characters. And then too much screen time then devoted to other new and side characters along the way, leaving the others to kind of just drift along with the same arcs they’ve had for a few seasons.

Tried Discovery, gave it a decent crack, however utterly unlikable lead characters made it difficult for me to stick with. Not for me.

Enterprise had that good season long arc with the Xindi, however the final episode of that season was very poor imo (won’t go into spoilers) and was such a letdown that I struggled from there.

Binge watched Picard last week and that was fantastic. A real return to form, wish there was more episodes but pleased it’s been renewed for at least another season.
Pretty much agree, except on Discovery. Did you get through to the second season? Season 1 is inconsistent and ropey but it does improve significantly in season 2 (even brings in a DS9 feature). And it looks like being something substantially different again in season 3.

Season 5 Episode 14 "Conundrum"

Riker *s Michelle Forbes who went on to be Admiral Cain in Battlestar Galactica.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much agree, except on Discovery. Did you get through to the second season? Season 1 is inconsistent and ropey but it does improve significantly in season 2 (even brings in a DS9 feature). And it looks like being something substantially different again in season 3.

I recall you and SM last time saying it significantly improves in season 2, however I am yet to finish the first season.

Yes it perhaps warrants a second attempt, however can’t see myself doing it anytime soon (it’s plummeted down my to watch list if you know what I mean).

I was surprised they chose the lead character to be so unrelatable, but I know the series by design is meant to be different. Not for me right now.

I recall you and SM last time saying it significantly improves in season 2, however I am yet to finish the first season.

Yes it perhaps warrants a second attempt, however can’t see myself doing it anytime soon (it’s plummeted down my to watch list if you know what I mean).

I was surprised they chose the lead character to be so unrelatable, but I know the series by design is meant to be different. Not for me right now.
I don’t find her that unlikeable but they definitely work on the overall crew dynamic in season two. A lot more of the secondary characters get fleshed out a bit. Also, Anson Mount does a great job as Captain Pike.

Up to season 3 and the sets are much better. I’m no expert but the camera angles are more varied, lighting is more dramatic in some scenes. The CGI and practical effects look neater too.

Second season of Discovery is almost a completely different show so is quite good. Season 3 is going to be very different again so it seems they are trying to right the wrongs.

Discovery and Picard is meaningless trash, although I liked Picard a bit better. Discovery is like Gilmore Girls in space, which is the problem with a few shows, they descend into teenage dramas.

They had an opportunity to update all the parts of Trek that are sometimes missing when watching TNG reruns, such as the long-term ramifications of certain command decisions, or a larger universe, or consequences for mistakes, all the things you expect in modern TV. Instead all they updated was SFX, and they included a long story arc I guess. Plus they made everything else much much worse.

Up to season 3 and the sets are much better. I’m no expert but the camera angles are more varied, lighting is more dramatic in some scenes. The CGI and practical effects look neater too.

Season 1 feels like leftover scripts from the 60s done in the 80s.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back