FTA-TV Star Trek: The Next Generation

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Season 5 Episode 21 "The Perfect Mate"

Good. Picard's love interest looked familiar. It's Jean Grey from the 2000s X-Men movies.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Season 5 Episode 23 "I Borg"

About a lone borg the Enterprise returns to health. This is probably where the idea for an ex-borg on Voyager's regular cast years later originated.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Season 5 Episode 25 "The Inner Light"

Jean-Luc experiences decades on an alien planet while unconscious on the Enterprise for only 25 minutes. This could've been a movie. It was good, wonder if it affects Picard going forward.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Season 5 Episode 25 "The Inner Light"

Jean-Luc experiences decades on an alien planet while unconscious on the Enterprise for only 25 minutes. This could've been a movie. It was good, wonder if it affects Picard going forward.

The closing moments of Picard with the flute is a great scene. Only seen this episode once but that’s a very memorable ending.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Widely considered TNG’s best episode.

A very strong recurring theme through Picard’s character arc, his internal desire for a family life and children etc. Although Generations seems to have a mixed reaction amongst fans, I thought they too played on this very well during the Picard caught in the nexus scenes.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Season 5 Episode 26 "Time's Arrow"
Season 6 Episode 1 "Time's Arrow, Part II"

Credit to them not having Part 1 in the title. Got a surprise To Be Continued moment :p Samuel Clemens character annoyed me and made this time travel two-parter less fun than it otherwise was.

According to the internet The Next Generation goes downhill in seasons 6 & 7.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Season 6 Episode 3 "Man of the People"

For those who've salivated for Deanna Troi over 5 years.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Never really got into star trek before, haven't even seen any of the movies but I do love my sci-fi so thought I'd give this a go. I tried the original series a while back and lasted about 6 episodes I think.

Been watching this a couple of weeks and up to episode 22 or so (was sick in bed a couple days last week which helped blitz through some). Some of the actors are annoying but overall it's a pretty decent show. Patrick Stewart is great but I can't stop seeing/hearing him from Extras/American Dad. Will stay away from this thread to avoid spoilers and see how long I last.

Split pea

Cancelled
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Up to late season 6 and its gone too long. Wonder why they never did a Riker spinoff. Could have been in charge of Deep Space Nine or Voyager. Probably money the actor would expect and having the character in Star Trek for up to 14 seasons would've been pushing it creatively.

Last edited:

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Up to late season 6 and its gone too long. Wonder why they never did a Riker spinoff. Could have been in charge of Deep Space Nine or Voyager. Probably money the actor would expect and having the character in Star Trek for up to 14 seasons would've been pushing it creatively.

Riker leading DS9 or Voyager would’ve been counterproductive to what the show runners were trying to build in that world (in terms of diversity). It was a conscious decision to have an African American man and a female be the respective leaders of those shows.

Not sure if you’re that far into DS9 yet, there was a Riker appearance in there. Some point in season 3 from memory.

Split pea

Cancelled
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Riker leading DS9 or Voyager would’ve been counterproductive to what the show runners were trying to build in that world (in terms of diversity). It was a conscious decision to have an African American man and a female be the respective leaders of those shows.

Not sure if you’re that far into DS9 yet, there was a Riker appearance in there. Some point in season 3 from memory.

16 episodes into DS9. Sisko being black has come off as a cosmetic decision. So far he's a character that happens to be black and it doesn't come up in the story. Which makes sense in that Star Trek is an ideal future where humanity has moved beyond etc but watching in 2021 it seems a little weak. Chickenshit even.

Split pea

Cancelled
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Star Trek almost lucked into the "progressive and modern yay" label. Watch the original series and there's nothing forward thinking about Kirk and Scotty leering at and talking about the young women that work under them who take it oh so complimentary.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
16 episodes into DS9. Sisko being black has come off as a cosmetic decision. So far he's a character that happens to be black and it doesn't come up in the story. Which makes sense in that Star Trek is an ideal future where humanity has moved beyond etc but watching in 2021 it seems a little weak. Chickenshit even.
There’s a couple of episodes coming up that lean into the issues of race, and a great one in season 6. But you’re right, it’s not supposed to be an issue and it shouldn’t be hundreds of years into the future.

Split pea

Cancelled
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
There’s a couple of episodes coming up that lean into the issues of race, and a great one in season 6. But you’re right, it’s not supposed to be an issue and it shouldn’t be hundreds of years into the future.

I doubt the future will be anything like 90s Star Trek but yeah that's the world they set it in

Back