FTA-TV Star Trek: The Original Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Episode 19 "Arena" and episode 20 "The Alternative Factor": Hey that looks like the same planet :p Probably why they didn't air back to back.

Episode 22 "The Return of the Archons". Sort of knew the ending was due to Futurama.

Alternative factor was painful to sit through. Easily the worst episode of the series.

I would hazard a guess that either there are already 45 minute versions of each show available for modern advertising limits, or they will simply run less ads at what is not a very important timeslot.

No way Ten are sacrificing the ad revenue.

Star Trek was all about post war US foreign policy: (It gets worse with (Next Generation) Thus racism, feminism, the nuclear arms race, and the struggle between democracy and totalitarianism were all part of classic Trek’s discourse and Captain Kirk and his crew frequently ignored the prime directive of nonparticipant observation to positively meddle in the affairs of other worlds. This was just a popular reflection of a post-Second World War American foreign policy that had actively sought to reshape societies through the Marshall Plan in Europe and the post-war reconstruction of Japan. The idea is that Star trek presents us with a glittering, hopeful future full of worldwide peace and cooperation, scientific achievement, and universal discovery. It's a utopian society wherein all races (black, white, human, or alien) and genders (male, female, or aliens-with-boobs) are considered equal. Those that wear the red star fleet tops have a huge problem with this. You gotta hand it to Star Trek though, look at how many things seen in the 23rd century are quite popular today: Mobile Phones, Hands free Communicators, Computer tablets, Personal Computers, Sliding doors, Tri-corders, Phasers etc, basically if you've seen it on Star Trek rest assured the US Military has it or is working on it! As for the "Beam me up Scotty" stuff? forget it. We consist of 15 trillion cells, putting that jigsaw back together in one piece from one side of the planet to the next or back up in space ain't happening in a hurry folks! It was a great show, it spawned numerous spin off series and a Hollywood horror franchise. Yes, Michael Myers is wearing a Captain Kirk death mask in all those Halloween movies. Live long and prosper Trekkies.

Star Trek was all about post war US foreign policy: (It gets worse with (Next Generation) Thus racism, feminism, the nuclear arms race, and the struggle between democracy and totalitarianism were all part of classic Trek’s discourse and Captain Kirk and his crew frequently ignored the prime directive of nonparticipant observation to positively meddle in the affairs of other worlds. This was just a popular reflection of a post-Second World War American foreign policy that had actively sought to reshape societies through the Marshall Plan in Europe and the post-war reconstruction of Japan. The idea is that Star trek presents us with a glittering, hopeful future full of worldwide peace and cooperation, scientific achievement, and universal discovery. It's a utopian society wherein all races (black, white, human, or alien) and genders (male, female, or aliens-with-boobs) are considered equal. Those that wear the red star fleet tops have a huge problem with this. You gotta hand it to Star Trek though, look at how many things seen in the 23rd century are quite popular today: Mobile Phones, Hands free Communicators, Computer tablets, Personal Computers, Sliding doors, Tri-corders, Phasers etc, basically if you've seen it on Star Trek rest assured the US Military has it or is working on it! As for the "Beam me up Scotty" stuff? forget it. We consist of 15 trillion cells, putting that jigsaw back together in one piece from one side of the planet to the next or back up in space ain't happening in a hurry folks! It was a great show, it spawned numerous spin off series and a Hollywood horror franchise. Yes, Michael Myers is wearing a Captain Kirk death mask in all those Halloween movies. Live long and prosper Trekkies.

What did racism, feminism, and totalitarianism have to do with US foreign policy?

What did racism, feminism, and totalitarianism have to do with US foreign policy?
Domestic policy also, but with US politics they don't discriminate, it's their policy or no policy. Star Trek mimics the meddling of the USA in foreign affairs to a tee.
Racism? The first inter racial kiss takes place on Star Trek, it features a multi-racial cast, with male and female characters who worked together as equals. This is a huge step in mid 1960's America.

Feminism: Starfleet women did not cook, clean, raise offspring, or get married … they are characterised as competent professionals. Although Uhura looked super hot in that short tunic.
Mudd's Women?

Totalitarianism : It was the Starfleet way or the highway. Roddenberry tried to have us believe Starfleet was all about a benevolent government, there's a lot of evidence to suggest otherwise. In fact, it's a totalitarian regime. They didn't realise this was the case until Next Gen came along so they created the Q character who knows damn well the Federation is a totalitarian regime who does not care for the aliens well-being they encounter along the way. It must be overthrown and replaced with a more benign government. And what's the story with the invasive counselor Troi, reading the minds of every people or being they come into contact, without their consent. Picard is a sneak!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Episode 35 "The Doomsday Machine". This was pretty good. Clever episode without aliens. Felt like a movie at times.

Episode 39 "Mirror, Mirror". So that's where evil/bearded Spock comes from haha.

Episode 40 "The Deadly Years". This sucked.

Episode 49 "A Piece of the Action". Kirk driving badly and talking like a mobster. Amusing episode.

Episode 50 "By Any Other Name". Good episode. Aliens struggling in human form usually works well. For a moment I thought this was where The Simpsons got the crapweeds joke but Kirk said it was from Shakespeare. Warren Stevens had the look of somebody who could * s**t up too. Ends a little comedic though.

Episode 55 "Assignment: Earth". This was good. The episodes where they go back in time to the then present day usually are. It's also an episode where the audience knows more than Kirk and the gang so that was clever. Robert Lansing is a better guest actor than they usually have. With that ending wouldn't be surprised if they were setting up a spinoff about him living on Earth to prevent disasters and such. Memory Alpha suggests that's the case. Obviously it never happened.

Well that's season 2 done. I've heard season 3 is "mixed" or bad so I might try to burn through it and get it out of the way. Am getting tired of the bad '60s effects and shitty audio and want to move on to the later stuff.

Last edited:
There are versions of the episodes with CGI and improved audio. I was sceptical, but they actually integrated the new effects quite well.

Season 3 is a slog even with better visuals and audio though. Then again, so are the first two seasons of TNG.

There are versions of the episodes with CGI and improved audio. I was sceptical, but they actually integrated the new effects quite well.

Yeah I heard they were doing that about a decade ago. But I want it to watch it the original way because... well that's what they made.

Season 3 is a slog even with better visuals and audio though. Then again, so are the first two seasons of TNG.

I bought the first season DVD of The Next Generation 8 years ago. It's been sitting in a box for 7 and a half years. It was so hard to watch, I made it through episode 8. I read somewhere that it did not improve until old man Gene Roddenberry vacated the head writer's chair.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that it did not improve until old man Gene Roddenberry vacated the head writer's chair.

Yeah, unfortunately he started to believe his own publicity. He was never a good writer or nice person, but being worshiped by fans really went to his head. Plus his vision of Trek changed significantly (which is why I laugh when people talk about "Gene's vision", since it changed so much).

They pulled him off the movies after the first was a trainwreck, but unfortunately gave him control of the show to try to win over fans (who were sceptical about moving on from the original crew). He - and the lawyer who often spoke for him - made a real mess of things.

There's a good doco on it, Chaos on the Bridge. It explains a lot.

Episode 56 "Spectre of the Gun". This was pretty good.

Episode 57 "Elaan of Troyius". This was not so good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back