(Log in to remove this ad.)

Janus

Dominus Ex Machina
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls
I seen TFA four times and TLJ twice.

Not getting the hardcore fans back hurt it several hundred million.

Sent from mTalk
It’s okay - I went and saw TLJ more times than TFA :)

If Abrams could combine the theming and story of TLJ with the action of TFA...that would be amazing.

edgie

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Nine movies in, action isn't a concern of mine. I'm hooked on Star Wars because of the world and the characters...

Also RJ's action scenes looked way better than JJ's CGI blurfest.

Sent from mTalk

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nine movies in, action isn't a concern of mine. I'm hooked on Star Wars because of the world and the characters...

Also RJ's action scenes looked way better than JJ's CGI blurfest.

Sent from mTalk
Except the throne room scene. That was so bad it was comical.

I understand that "real" lightsaber combat would be much more akin to fencing and perhaps lack the stylistic aspects of heaving broadswords at each other, but it could at least pretend to be somewhat realistic.

Lightsabers require no application of force (heh) to cut through objects/flesh - so the objective becomes purely to 'touch' the opponent - in that regards Palpatine/Rey's fighting style of "jabbing" - whilst looking incompetent, actually makes the most sense.

GG.exe

Killer on the Road
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Thread starter #1,033
Except the throne room scene. That was so bad it was comical.

I understand that "real" lightsaber combat would be much more akin to fencing and perhaps lack the stylistic aspects of heaving broadswords at each other, but it could at least pretend to be somewhat realistic.

Lightsabers require no application of force (heh) to cut through objects/flesh - so the objective becomes purely to 'touch' the opponent - in that regards Palpatine/Rey's fighting style of "jabbing" - whilst looking incompetent, actually makes the most sense.
The Throne Room scene is a perfect example of what RJ did thruout the film --- style over substance.
From both a writing and a visual perspective.
Stuff appears good but is hollow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GG.exe

Killer on the Road
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Thread starter #1,037
it makes no sense to have a darker title and conclusion.
It does make sense given they are closing out the skywalker saga....in order to implement say RJ's trilogy...which hypothetically takes place many decades after the events of the Skywalker saga that spans a couple of generations.

the word is that Ep9 is a total war, a war to end all wars, both sides destroy each other basically, with many deaths from both sides of key figures----like rey/kylo/poe/finn very possible, like a Rogue One story where they all had to die in order for the events of ANH to occur in continuity. so a "dark" conclusion is on the cards for continuity with RJ's future trilogy (say).

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
It does make sense given they are closing out the skywalker saga....in order to implement say RJ's trilogy...which hypothetically takes place many decades after the events of the Skywalker saga that spans a couple of generations.

the word is that Ep9 is a total war, a war to end all wars, both sides destroy each other basically, with many deaths from both sides of key figures----like rey/kylo/poe/finn very possible, like a Rogue One story where they all had to die in order for the events of ANH to occur in continuity. so a "dark" conclusion is on the cards for continuity with RJ's future trilogy (say).
Don’t see it myself. RJ’s trilogy is not a sequel to Episode IX, it’s a stand-alone story. These films are designed to create a universe for future storytelling. But as the hyped conclusion to the Skywalker saga, it will largely have a happy ending, I’d guess.

TDHawks1

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NYG
"Annihilation" was originally rumored to be the title...but because there's another Marvel movie also releasing with Annihilation in the sub-title, they probably decided to go elsewhere.
Sounds too dark for Disney, and could be seen as copying the cinematic masterpiece that is Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

GG.exe

Killer on the Road
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Thread starter #1,041
Don’t see it myself. RJ’s trilogy is not a sequel to Episode IX, it’s a stand-alone story. These films are designed to create a universe for future storytelling. But as the hyped conclusion to the Skywalker saga, it will largely have a happy ending, I’d guess.
RJ's isn't necessarily a sequel to the ST....but cast in a future time, long after the Skywalker Era. A stand-alone focus...but still part of the SW galaxy as a whole, has a place on the overall timeline. Where historians will say RJ's story occurs say 100 years after the battle of Yavin.

Anyway, irrespective of that....the conclusion of the ST will have to be bittersweet...both sad and happy. Han died, we saw Luke die, Leia will die, so will Lando, Chewy, probably R2/C3, quite possibly Rey and Kylo too, but perhaps say Finn and Poe left alive (of the main characters), in a post WW2 type aftermath.

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Silly question. But I really cant remember and only have a faint recollection. Was Qui Jon dookus apprentice? I remember faintly Dooku speaking of Qui Jon with a fond reminisence.
It got me thinking of the whole apprentice overthrow thing on both sides.
Meaning disenchantment, power ambition and discoloured order existed in both dogmas.
I am in a kinda force haze atm so feel free to ignore or disparage this hazy post.

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
RJ's isn't necessarily a sequel to the ST....but cast in a future time, long after the Skywalker Era. A stand-alone focus...but still part of the SW galaxy as a whole, has a place on the overall timeline. Where historians will say RJ's story occurs say 100 years after the battle of Yavin.

Anyway, irrespective of that....the conclusion of the ST will have to be bittersweet...both sad and happy. Han died, we saw Luke die, Leia will die, so will Lando, Chewy, probably R2/C3, quite possibly Rey and Kylo too, but perhaps say Finn and Poe left alive (of the main characters), in a post WW2 type aftermath.
Depending on the Disney take of a satisfactory profit margin, I daresay the Skywalker saga will continue in ....... an ethereal and ghostly form if the new characters tank at the box offfice.

GG.exe

Killer on the Road
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Thread starter #1,044
Silly question. But I really cant remember and only have a faint recollection. Was Qui Jon dookus apprentice? I remember faintly Dooku speaking of Qui Jon with a fond reminisence.
It got me thinking of the whole apprentice overthrow thing on both sides.
Meaning disenchantment, power ambition and discoloured order existed in both dogmas.
I am in a kinda force haze atm so feel free to ignore or disparage this hazy post.
From wikipedia....

Once a respected Jedi Master who was trained by Yoda as a Padawan learner, Dooku fell to the Dark side of the Force after the death of his former Padawan - Qui-Gon Jinn - and becomes Darth Sidious's second apprentice under the name "Darth Tyranus"

GG.exe

Killer on the Road
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Thread starter #1,046
Thanx GG.
Im a bit confused of the timeline. When Qui Jon died Sidious had an apprentice. Being the sith who killed him.
So Dooku became the apprentice when Maul died?
Oldest apprentice ever.
I suspect Sidious acquired Dooku as an apprentice purely to use him as Separatist leader, so he could pull the strings of the Separatists and the Republic in order to create the Clone Army....in turn to use the Clone Army to destroy the Jedi with Order 66.

A grand scheme manipulating the trade federation, the separatists, and the republic....to get Valorum ousted and position himself as the standout choice as Chancellor. Once he got that, then he was able to put in place the framework for a galactic Empire.

estibador

purple haze
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Attack of the Clones in particular is TERRIBLE - but it still felt like a star wars movie. .
I downloaded the anti-cheese edits awhile ago and found TPM to be a surprisingly enjoyable movie when edited like that.

But even they couldn't save AOTC, it's just a really, really boring film.

FlowersByIrene

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants, Man U
They will do their hardest to build on TLJ. Anything less will be considered a PR disaster and alienate the pro TLJ crowd.

Sent from mTalk
JackOutback and 3 others will be disappointed (list excludes paid for reviewers and the west coast elites)

GG.exe

Killer on the Road
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Thread starter #1,050
'Star Wars: Episode IX' May Feature an Even Greater Threat Than the Sith

By Jake Kleinman 6h ago

Star Wars: Episode IX is expected to focus on an epic battle between Light and Dark — symbolized by Rey and Kylo Ren — that could finally put an end to the struggle we’ve seen play out over the past eight movies (10 if you count Rogue One and Solo). But what if there’s an even greater threat in the galaxy that forces The Resistance and the First order to unite rather than simply destroy each other?

That’s what a new Episode IX theory argues, citing the recently published, canonical Star Wars book Thrawn: Alliances as evidence. In the book, we learn that an alien race called the Grysk could be that greater threat.

Here’s a quote from the book describing the Grysk (via redditor u/herplexed1467):

Grysks are a species living somewhere in the Unknown Regions. Creatures half of myth, whom few have ever seen. It is said that they are nomads, with no fixed home, traveling in spacecraft so numerous they blot out the stars. They are said to be terrifying warriors, overwhelming their opponents by sheer numbers and ferocity.​
Sounds pretty scary, but could the Grysk actually show up in Star Wars: Episode IX? It would be a pretty huge twist, but u/herplexed1467 points out that it could also help resolve the current trilogy, set up the future of the franchise, and answer one of the biggest mysteries from the recent films all at once.

“I believe that this threat will be introduced in Episode IX, forcing The First Order and The Resistance to unite to combat it,” they write. “It would also open the door for a new trilogy of movies showcasing our new heroes against this greater threat. Perhaps it is revealed that Snoke was of this new race of aliens.”

More importantly, it would give Kylo and Rey another reason to team up, which would mean more of the goodness in the throne room battle sequence.

The problem? It might be too big of twist, overcomplicating what should be a movie meant to provide some closure on the Skywalker saga. As Reddit commenters quickly pointed out, it seems pretty unlikely that the Grysk will play a major role in Episode IX, though it’s possible they could show up in an animated or live-action Star Wars series. Better yet, maybe these “terrifying aliens” will play a central role in future Star Wars movies already in the works from The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson or Game of Thrones co-creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

Either way, you probably shouldn’t expect to say some totally new army of aliens turn up in Star Wars: Episode IX, but if it does happen, remember that you heard it here first.

Top Bottom