Movie Star Wars - Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Spoilers and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

I seen TFA four times and TLJ twice.

Not getting the hardcore fans back hurt it several hundred million.

Sent from mTalk

It’s okay - I went and saw TLJ more times than TFA :)

If Abrams could combine the theming and story of TLJ with the action of TFA...that would be amazing.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Nine movies in, action isn't a concern of mine. I'm hooked on Star Wars because of the world and the characters...

Also RJ's action scenes looked way better than JJ's CGI blurfest.

Sent from mTalk

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nine movies in, action isn't a concern of mine. I'm hooked on Star Wars because of the world and the characters...

Also RJ's action scenes looked way better than JJ's CGI blurfest.

Sent from mTalk

Except the throne room scene. That was so bad it was comical.

I understand that "real" lightsaber combat would be much more akin to fencing and perhaps lack the stylistic aspects of heaving broadswords at each other, but it could at least pretend to be somewhat realistic.

Lightsabers require no application of force (heh) to cut through objects/flesh - so the objective becomes purely to 'touch' the opponent - in that regards Palpatine/Rey's fighting style of "jabbing" - whilst looking incompetent, actually makes the most sense.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Except the throne room scene. That was so bad it was comical.

I understand that "real" lightsaber combat would be much more akin to fencing and perhaps lack the stylistic aspects of heaving broadswords at each other, but it could at least pretend to be somewhat realistic.

Lightsabers require no application of force (heh) to cut through objects/flesh - so the objective becomes purely to 'touch' the opponent - in that regards Palpatine/Rey's fighting style of "jabbing" - whilst looking incompetent, actually makes the most sense.
The Throne Room scene is a perfect example of what RJ did thruout the film --- style over substance.
From both a writing and a visual perspective.
Stuff appears good but is hollow.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not saying this is real, but it looks pretty good...

sonofdarkness.png

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
it makes no sense to have a darker title and conclusion.
It does make sense given they are closing out the skywalker saga....in order to implement say RJ's trilogy...which hypothetically takes place many decades after the events of the Skywalker saga that spans a couple of generations.

the word is that Ep9 is a total war, a war to end all wars, both sides destroy each other basically, with many deaths from both sides of key figures----like rey/kylo/poe/finn very possible, like a Rogue One story where they all had to die in order for the events of ANH to occur in continuity. so a "dark" conclusion is on the cards for continuity with RJ's future trilogy (say).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
It does make sense given they are closing out the skywalker saga....in order to implement say RJ's trilogy...which hypothetically takes place many decades after the events of the Skywalker saga that spans a couple of generations.

the word is that Ep9 is a total war, a war to end all wars, both sides destroy each other basically, with many deaths from both sides of key figures----like rey/kylo/poe/finn very possible, like a Rogue One story where they all had to die in order for the events of ANH to occur in continuity. so a "dark" conclusion is on the cards for continuity with RJ's future trilogy (say).
Don’t see it myself. RJ’s trilogy is not a sequel to Episode IX, it’s a stand-alone story. These films are designed to create a universe for future storytelling. But as the hyped conclusion to the Skywalker saga, it will largely have a happy ending, I’d guess.

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
"Annihilation" was originally rumored to be the title...but because there's another Marvel movie also releasing with Annihilation in the sub-title, they probably decided to go elsewhere.

Sounds too dark for Disney, and could be seen as copying the cinematic masterpiece that is Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don’t see it myself. RJ’s trilogy is not a sequel to Episode IX, it’s a stand-alone story. These films are designed to create a universe for future storytelling. But as the hyped conclusion to the Skywalker saga, it will largely have a happy ending, I’d guess.
RJ's isn't necessarily a sequel to the ST....but cast in a future time, long after the Skywalker Era. A stand-alone focus...but still part of the SW galaxy as a whole, has a place on the overall timeline. Where historians will say RJ's story occurs say 100 years after the battle of Yavin.

Anyway, irrespective of that....the conclusion of the ST will have to be bittersweet...both sad and happy. Han died, we saw Luke die, Leia will die, so will Lando, Chewy, probably R2/C3, quite possibly Rey and Kylo too, but perhaps say Finn and Poe left alive (of the main characters), in a post WW2 type aftermath.

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Silly question. But I really cant remember and only have a faint recollection. Was Qui Jon dookus apprentice? I remember faintly Dooku speaking of Qui Jon with a fond reminisence.
It got me thinking of the whole apprentice overthrow thing on both sides.
Meaning disenchantment, power ambition and discoloured order existed in both dogmas.
I am in a kinda force haze atm so feel free to ignore or disparage this hazy post.

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
RJ's isn't necessarily a sequel to the ST....but cast in a future time, long after the Skywalker Era. A stand-alone focus...but still part of the SW galaxy as a whole, has a place on the overall timeline. Where historians will say RJ's story occurs say 100 years after the battle of Yavin.

Anyway, irrespective of that....the conclusion of the ST will have to be bittersweet...both sad and happy. Han died, we saw Luke die, Leia will die, so will Lando, Chewy, probably R2/C3, quite possibly Rey and Kylo too, but perhaps say Finn and Poe left alive (of the main characters), in a post WW2 type aftermath.
Depending on the Disney take of a satisfactory profit margin, I daresay the Skywalker saga will continue in ....... an ethereal and ghostly form if the new characters tank at the box offfice.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Silly question. But I really cant remember and only have a faint recollection. Was Qui Jon dookus apprentice? I remember faintly Dooku speaking of Qui Jon with a fond reminisence.
It got me thinking of the whole apprentice overthrow thing on both sides.
Meaning disenchantment, power ambition and discoloured order existed in both dogmas.
I am in a kinda force haze atm so feel free to ignore or disparage this hazy post.

From wikipedia....

Once a respected Jedi Master who was trained by Yoda as a Padawan learner, Dooku fell to the Dark side of the Force after the death of his former Padawan - Qui-Gon Jinn - and becomes Darth Sidious's second apprentice under the name "Darth Tyranus"

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanx GG.
Im a bit confused of the timeline. When Qui Jon died Sidious had an apprentice. Being the sith who killed him.
So Dooku became the apprentice when Maul died?
Oldest apprentice ever.
I suspect Sidious acquired Dooku as an apprentice purely to use him as Separatist leader, so he could pull the strings of the Separatists and the Republic in order to create the Clone Army....in turn to use the Clone Army to destroy the Jedi with Order 66.

A grand scheme manipulating the trade federation, the separatists, and the republic....to get Valorum ousted and position himself as the standout choice as Chancellor. Once he got that, then he was able to put in place the framework for a galactic Empire.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Attack of the Clones in particular is TERRIBLE - but it still felt like a star wars movie. .

I downloaded the anti-cheese edits awhile ago and found TPM to be a surprisingly enjoyable movie when edited like that.

But even they couldn't save AOTC, it's just a really, really boring film.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back