Movie Star Wars - Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Spoilers and Rumors

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
[QUOTE
Disney have made $5b from four movies, plus it’s making Star Wars land, propping up its streaming service; you’ll be waiting a while for them to lose money on this deal.[/QUOTE]
True enough. I was a bit sloppy with my wording. But Id wager they expected far more. And I envision a lot of diminishing returns in the future after their slipshod approach.

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s perhaps an example of his obsession for subversion coming at the expense of quality storytelling.

It was explained numerous times why the old ways are no longer relevant. Why the texts aren’t needed. A dramatic scene to show the tree being burnt down. The audience presume the texts are in fact in the fire, and are being discarded.

Then boom. Fooled you! Subversion time. The books are safe and sound with Rey.

Needless and unnecessary, and dilutes the story supposedly being told.
Perhaps a "necessary" hedging of bets in case the new era fails and Disney are forced to go back to the well of the old lore.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Perhaps a "necessary" hedging of bets in case the new era fails and Disney are forced to go back to the well of the old lore.

Yep correct, that would be my theory too.

Which if true, somewhat negates the point about RJ’s bravery. He couldn’t even stick with it within one film. And forget what episode 9 does, the squibbing has potentially already begun.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Star Wars is more than just a movie series - there are few 'franchises' in existence where the 'lore' - the background goes so far, so rich, so deeply ingrained in the 'universe' - that there is literally no limitation on the stories that can be told.

Star Wars has space. Infinite space. Unlimited character potential. Despite the size of the universe it has created, there has been a very narrow focus, the stories we are told revolve around a minute fraction of the Star Wars universe. This provides a focus for new stories to be told, a narrative that they need to fit within - an overarching story within which new characters are introduced and develop.

The sequel trilogy could have gone ANYWHERE, used ANYONE, and achieved greatness. Once the decision was made (yay!) to retain the original character links, it needed to be based in the same/similar universe, use the same characters. They can change, but those changes need to be understandable.

The problem is that they have taken existing characters and then tried to change them, make them irrelevant and focus on new characters (all understandable from a long-term series perspective - but not in the context of the Star Wars universe).

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion

If you think that scene is meaningless, no wonder you don't like the film. It's not meaningless though, it's fundamental.

The old 'you don't get it, no wonder you don't like it'. I get it. It's just another shitty half measure non committal makes zero sense bit of fanservice with effects that don't line up with previous Star Wars.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I just think the people currently in control of the movies are treating it as a toy more than anything else.
No, they are treating it as a money-making franchise, which makes sense. There’s downsides to that, but for me, that’s outweighed by the fact we will get lots more stories, rather than six films in 30 years. I’m not going to like everything but if that’s my expectation, we’ll, I’m only ever going to be disappointed.

I see TLJ is on US Netflix, which I can access. Might watch it again this week.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
No, they are treating it as a money-making franchise, which makes sense. There’s downsides to that, but for me, that’s outweighed by the fact we will get lots more stories, rather than six films in 30 years. I’m not going to like everything but if that’s my expectation, we’ll, I’m only ever going to be disappointed.

I see TLJ is on US Netflix, which I can access. Might watch it again this week.

I prefer quality over quantity. George Lucas definitely made creative decisions to maximise $$$ outside of the box office at the expense of the movies, but it didn't feel as creatively compromised as it does now.

I just can't get over the ******* Snoke's red guards. Every single one is slightly different. To me that scream 'gotta catch them all!'. Making the X-Wings and TIE Fighters slightly different but still wanting to evoke nostalgia by having X-Wings and TIE Fighters, etc.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I prefer quality over quantity. George Lucas definitely made creative decisions to maximise $$$ outside of the box office at the expense of the movies, but it didn't feel as creatively compromised as it does now.

I just can't get over the ******* Snoke's red guards. Every single one is slightly different. To me that scream 'gotta catch them all!'. Making the X-Wings and TIE Fighters slightly different but still wanting to evoke nostalgia by having X-Wings and TIE Fighters, etc.
Lucas invented that :tearsofjoy:

The EU had some good stuff and a lot of shite. Then, after a 20 year gap, we got more shite. Disney is batting above average right now. I’ll back the two TV series to be pretty good as well.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
Disney strongly urged KK to reshoot parts of TLJ to make Leia die in TLJ, in that bridge scene, that there'd be no expense too much to reshoot it, because Fisher died months before the release of TLJ, and instead to make Luke survive TLJ....but KK/RJ insisted no on both counts. So Disney had to go to other great lengths and expense-wise to devise ways to still have Leia in Ep9...had to pay the family of Carrie undisclosed money to allow them to use unused footage and the rotoscoping method, because the family insisted no to CGI Leia like R1, and thoughts of re-casting Meryl Streep as Leia was quickly thought of and quickly rejected. Same thing happened with R1 when they CGI'd Tarken, Disney had to pay the family tons of money, and his trust fund, etc.
The easiest thing to do would have been to switch Holdo and Leia so Leia rams the ship and Holdo continues on into Ep IX. Dern could have done the reshoots to replace Leia on Crait. The Luke/Leia reunion footage could still have been used just cgi'd to be on the ship.

Would have neatly fixed that issue without ******* up the story going forward.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The easiest thing to do would have been to switch Holdo and Leia so Leia rams the ship and Holdo continues on into Ep IX. Dern could have done the reshoots to replace Leia on Crait. The Luke/Leia reunion footage could still have been used just cgi'd to be on the ship.

Would have neatly fixed that issue without ******* up the story going forward.
Don't reckon that is nearly as easy as you make it sound. No way could they do the reunion on the ship before Leia kills herself.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lucas invented that :tearsofjoy:

The EU had some good stuff and a lot of shite. Then, after a 20 year gap, we got more shite. Disney is batting above average right now. I’ll back the two TV series to be pretty good as well.

What two? Mandalorian and?

Also, there's been more than two including the kid based ones (all of them to this point).

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Remember the reunion wasn't actually in person.
Yes, but a) having it on the ship might have given the twist away early, and b) would Luke be happy to watch Leia set about killing herself? Just don't think it would work.

What two? Mandalorian and?

Also, there's been more than two including the kid based ones (all of them to this point).
The Cassian Andor series. I only worry about the stuff pitched at adults, generally. I looked at early Rebels and Clone Wars but just wasn't interested.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Kylo can't turn good but stay living, an act of sacrifice I could buy, but the characters gone too far now to finish a hero.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:
Back