Movie Star Wars - Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Spoilers and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

As if TLJ wasn't going to a push a billion though. You've got crazy levels of brand loyalty, huge goodwill from TFA and R1, and the anticipation from where it would lead to after TFA due to JJ's mystery boxes. The first half hour could've been an Ewok/droid orgy and people still would've gone to see it initially. There was enough in there to draw people back in for a second viewing (notably the action set pieces), as well as the divided reactions creating viral discussion and even more word-of-mouth advertising - 'i don't usually watch Star Wars but I went to see what the fuss was about"

Yeah, he was dick-teasing. He basically thought everyone would worship his intellect....how he subverted everything, then promising something all new, only to revert back to the same safe things as well. Thought everyone would praise and laud him, that faux humble smirk he does while waving at the audience -- before everyone saw the movie.

definitely a tease - and made some terrible moments because he didnt commit.

Leia's dead - no wait she's mary poppins.
Finn's going to sacrifice himself - no wait rose saves him and loves him.

As if TLJ wasn't going to a push a billion though. You've got crazy levels of brand loyalty, huge goodwill from TFA and R1, and the anticipation from where it would lead to after TFA due to JJ's mystery boxes. The first half hour could've been an Ewok/droid orgy and people still would've gone to see it initially. There was enough in there to draw people back in for a second viewing (notably the action set pieces), as well as the divided reactions creating viral discussion and even more word-of-mouth advertising - 'i don't usually watch Star Wars but I went to see what the fuss was about"
Exactly what I was trying to say....but you said it so much better :thumbsu:

Luke himself was a major drawcard, after all the build up and his role teased at the end of TFA.

Of course it would’ve done $1b+.
And the exact opposite happened with Solo.

Once hardcore fans were livid with TLJ, and casual fans not pleased with TLJ......with the release of Solo looming, that lack of anticipation for and wounded brand quality, it shone thru with Solo making only about $200m net (apparent figure).

In other words, TLJ has incredibly inflated ticket sale figures that is not a direct correlation to its place as a successful SW movie or a liked movie per se.

You can scan the internet, random boards here and elsewhere, non-SW places, where casual fans make fun of TLJ as a meme during conversations about other things in general.

Yeah he put his own ego above the story itself.
Countless times, Hammill, Ridley, etc, would complain/question/push the director about the script, their characters, and RJ would shoot them down because he was locked into his narrow self-focused self-worshipping script.
The movie itself had many "breaking the 4th wall" moments in it too....subtle ones, where it was a deliberate reference to fan theories etc, and not a fluid organic script off of TFA.

Exactly what I was trying to say....but you said it so much better :thumbsu:

Credit to Disney really. Aside from probably releasing Solo too early, they've managed and marketed the other three films very well. It will be interesting to see their strategy for episode 9 - surely a superbowl trailer is in the works?

Credit to Disney really. Aside from probably releasing Solo too early, they've managed and marketed the other three films very well. It will be interesting to see their strategy for episode 9 - surely a superbowl trailer is in the works?
That would be the ideal moment. Super Bowl trailer.
Tho i wonder when the title reveal will occur...should be soon.

They really should have kept Solo for what had become the traditional Star Wars December Release they probably thought we'll release it early to appease fans pissed off about TLJ.

shouldve bern canceled like fett etc were
I liked how it explained every character trait and relationship for the main character. i hate a bit of mystery.
And whats with those F**king gold dice. If Rey doesnt use them to choke Kylo to death with in episode IX, whats the point? they were just background filler to decorate the cockpit in the original trilogy, then suddenly they are special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They really should have kept Solo for what had become the traditional Star Wars December Release they probably thought we'll release it early to appease fans pissed off about TLJ.
They had every reason to with the change of director. The only explanation I’ve read that makes sense is Disney is so big now with Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, etc that they understand Star Wars wont always be an ‘event’ film. Once it became clear the buzz wasn’t building for solo, they chose to hang their Christmas on Mary Poppins.

As for TLJ, it was always going to make money, but people don’t go back to see movies they hate just to confirm their hatred. It still did huge numbers, enough to know plenty of people liked it.

As for TLJ, it was always going to make money, but people don’t go back to see movies they hate just to confirm their hatred. It still did huge numbers, enough to know plenty of people liked it.
I don't know many Star Wars fans probably went a few times just to get their heads around it in a vain effort to like it.

;)
I don't know many Star Wars fans probably went a few times just to get their heads around it in a vain effort to like it.
We are a strange bunch ;)

But like Marvel, hardcore fans don’t account for massive box office successes, it’s about drawing in mainstream fans. Bad word of mouth can kill films. But the bad word of mouth has primarily come from hardcore fans that most people wouldn’t hear because they don’t frequent fan sites. The backlash was slow to gather steam because it was being orchestrated by these same hardcore fans. Everyone in my circle knows I’m a fan of Star Wars and have spoken to me about if they have seen it; the views range from ‘pretty good’ to ‘it was just ok’, I simply haven’t come across any casual watcher who hated it, the hatred comes from people who think it’s somehow betrayed their sacred film.

Yea. great strategy. You have to see it many times to appreciate its depth and magnificence.
LOL.
If you have to see a movie multiple times to truly discover its greatness, Id suggest the movie wasnt that good to begin with.

Honestly - stop those two subversions and the movie (and series) gets a hell of a lot better.

Even better, by having those two sacrifices in the story, Luke's arc is no longer defined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back