Movie Star Wars - Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Spoilers and Rumors

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
It'll be fascinating to see how this movie goes.

The Force Awakens was not just popular but had such a great hook with silent Luke on the cliff to get people to see The Last Jedi.

The Last Jedi was unpopular and left no hook to come back for The Rise of Skywalker. Hence desperately bringing back the Emperor in the trailer.

If this does well ($1 billion or whatever the pass mark is for what they spent) they'll dismiss the December 2017-May 2018 (Solo: A Star Wars Story) period as an aberration with no harm done except to Rian Johnson.

If this does not well they'll wait a couple years before even announcing the next one.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
i think IX will be a disaster

Think it's lose-lose.

This does bad, Disney go "Well let's just re-re-do A New Hope in 2023 because people liked The Force Awakens".

This does well, they go with their Marvel-tone plan from 2017.

Star Wars is too big with too much merchandise for them to really try something creative with it.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Think it's lose-lose.

This does bad, Disney go "Well let's just re-re-do A New Hope in 2023 because people liked The Force Awakens".

Star Wars is too big with too much merchandise for them to really try something creative with it.

Star Wars was a vision and passion of a small group of people, and though some of them left or became compromised by the other factors, that's something the committee nature of modern Star Wars productions will never understand or capture.

Last edited:

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I'll still see it twice at minimum

6e7.gif

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I look forward to the reviews from everyone who said they weren’t going to see it, probably the day of release ;)

It'll be fascinating to see how this movie goes.

The Force Awakens was not just popular but had such a great hook with silent Luke on the cliff to get people to see The Last Jedi.

The Last Jedi was unpopular and left no hook to come back for The Rise of Skywalker. Hence desperately bringing back the Emperor in the trailer.

If this does well ($1 billion or whatever the pass mark is for what they spent) they'll dismiss the December 2017-May 2018 (Solo: A Star Wars Story) period as an aberration with no harm done except to Rian Johnson.

If this does not well they'll wait a couple years before even announcing the next one.
I don’t think there’s any way this isn’t a financial success. It didn’t need a hook because it had one from the very beginning: the final story in the 30-year Skywalker saga. That said, what counts as a success in a time when Endgame just sold $2.7b in tickets? A $1b movie makes money but is it a success? $1.5b? One thing TLJ and Solo taught us is that Star Wars is not a global phenomenon, it’s a Western phenomenon. TLJ is the ninth highest grossing film of all time in the US but it just doesn’t register in China and some other territories. Hell, films like Fast and Furious and Transformers are much bigger in China.

Personally, I think it comfortably gets past $1.5b and people that didn’t like TLJ claim it’s a failure and it’s all TLJ’s fault.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
I'll do what I do with Solo - skip opening week, then check it out.

This is from a guy who went to midnight screenings of the prequels.

Problem is, it'll be a disaster that makes money.

TLJ was a disaster - still made money.

Did the same thing with the prequels, midnight screening for each. Too old for that s**t now, but saw TFA, R1 and TLJ on opening mornings.

Solo was the only Star Wars film that not only did I not see on opening day, but ended up going in the second or third week. I attribute 20% of this to not really being that excited for this movie that we didn’t really need, and 80% to the disillusionment of Disney’s ridiculous handling of TLJ.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree to disagree. Anyone who is fan of Star Wars will want to see how it ends. I think it’s a safe bet to say that everyone who has seen the eight that came before will watch the ninth, regardless of what they thought about VIII or the prequels or anything else.

The other thing is, the hype machine hasn’t even started. Just the name reveal got everyone flocking back to these threads, once the marketing kicks in full force (and it will be much bigger than Solo because a. they are not expecting a flop, and b. they pretty much have a month to themselves rather than being in the middle of other big summer movies), enthusiasm will kick right back in.

Think it's lose-lose.

Not sure that's true when they encouraged RJ to do whatever he wanted.

I look forward to the reviews from everyone who said they weren’t going to see it, probably the day of release ;)

I don’t think there’s any way this isn’t a financial success. It didn’t need a hook because it had one from the very beginning: the final story in the 30-year Skywalker saga. That said, what counts as a success in a time when Endgame just sold $2.7b in tickets? A $1b movie makes money but is it a success? $1.5b? One thing TLJ and Solo taught us is that Star Wars is not a global phenomenon, it’s a Western phenomenon. TLJ is the ninth highest grossing film of all time in the US but it just doesn’t register in China and some other territories. Hell, films like Fast and Furious and Transformers are much bigger in China.

Personally, I think it comfortably gets past $1.5b and people that didn’t like TLJ claim it’s a failure and it’s all TLJ’s fault.
Didn't you say similar of Solo and plenty still haven't seen it?

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
No one REALLY cares about how the story ends anymore.

Disney well and truly ****ed the living hell out of this franchise with TLJ and Solo beige-fest.

People have been tuning in a lot to all the criticisms of Disney/LFL and have taken note. All the things Mark Hamill said, all the subtle criticisms of how Disney mishandled the treatment of the ST, all the SJWism they've infested into it, all the abuse by Disney/LFL toward the fans over TLJ etc etc.

You can see that turning away from SW in a variety of other areas, that portends IX will be a major flop -- galaxy's edge a ghost town, merchandise sales flat-lining, sales of books/comics, etc.

STAR WARS IS DEAD.

Back