Movie Star Wars - Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Spoilers and Rumors

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The idea that less than 5 years after defeating the Galactic Empire the Republic thinks it's a good idea to completely de-militarise is absolutely mind-boggling as a concept. Forget the fact the Galaxy has just gone through near 30 years of war and turmoil from the Clone Wars through the formation of the Empire through the Rebellion through the mop up of the Empire, but the fact that In-Universe the concept of planets/forces just 'handing in' their ships to be destroyed makes no sense. A Republic that stood for tens of thousands of years, sure, could exist with no Galactic navy because it's come to a point of understanding, but not in the immediate aftermath of such upheaval.

Doing so would make it rather easy for a random fleet of ships from.. I guess let's say the Unknown Regions.. to randomly pop up and take over the Galaxy overnight.

Especially once the new Jedi order fell apart and Luke fled. The reason the old republic never had an army was because the Jedi were the peacekeepers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re making assumptions. The Republic isn’t militarised, doesn’t mean individual planets aren’t. As you say, if one planet has no army and it’s neighbour isn’t a member of the Republic, it would be able to take it over in a weekend. It’s not been well explained, I agree, but bag it for that, not for how you think it works.

It makes no sense for individual planets to be militarised as that escalates the chance of conflict rather than de-escalating it.

It doesn't matter how it works, it makes no sense. And plenty of authors are already slipping in little references to how dumb the idea is in their books.

Last Shot had Bounty Hunters marveling at how dumb it is and easy it is to attack the Republic with no centralised defence.

Alphabet Squadron has a pilot commenting on how foolish it would be for them to try to demilitarise anytime soon.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Does the EU make no sense because France, Germany and the UK are militarised? The Republic is an overarching body. As Edgie pointed out, the Old Republic had no army and stood for thousands of years. It gets an army and immediately descends into dictatorship. You can make a case for why the military shouldn’t be outsourced to one giant organisation.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I wonder if that Star Destroyer scene is them introducing an intergalactic threat?
Apparently in legends there is an example of a forgotten fleet of Star Destroyers being found by Thrawn.

The way they are all in formation could mean a party (the resistance maybe) has stumbled onto a huge fleet to use against the First Order?

Does the EU make no sense because France, Germany and the UK are militarised? The Republic is an overarching body. As Edgie pointed out, the Old Republic had no army and stood for thousands of years. It gets an army and immediately descends into dictatorship. You can make a case for why the military shouldn’t be outsourced to one giant organisation.

In the 10 years after WW2 did the UK decide to throw all its weapons away?

Did you read my post? It was able to do so successfully because it had put down warring factions far in the past and had worked to a unity that was sewn together by a Jedi peacekeeping force.

So soon after 30 years of upheaval to revert to that state is a foolish concept.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
The EU doesn't make any sense you're right

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Does the EU make no sense because France, Germany and the UK are militarised? The Republic is an overarching body. As Edgie pointed out, the Old Republic had no army and stood for thousands of years...

... Because they had tens of thousand of Jedi

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
... Because they had tens of thousand of Jedi
Noted, but regardless, if the one time in thousands of years that the Republic had an army it led to the worst dictatorship and mass murder in history, do you really think it’s surprising the Republic might decide it’s a bad idea? Planets maintaining their own army and the Republic not would actually prevent a galactic-wide dictatorship.

The onus is on the creators to explain it better.

Noted, but regardless, if the one time in thousands of years that the Republic had an army it led to the worst dictatorship and mass murder in history, do you really think it’s surprising the Republic might decide it’s a bad idea? Planets maintaining their own army and the Republic not would actually prevent a galactic-wide dictatorship.

The onus is on the creators to explain it better.
If the idea was there'd be a Corellian fleet and a Naboo fleet, etc. Then that wouldn't be terrible and would still mean you could have interesting conflicts and stories, but it seems like no one has fleets.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Apparently in legends there is an example of a forgotten fleet of Star Destroyers being found by Thrawn.

The way they are all in formation could mean a party (the resistance maybe) has stumbled onto a huge fleet to use against the First Order?

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened - massive drone/remote type fleet.

Once again, they should've just made the Thrawn trilogy, it was brilliant.

The ship was the Resistance, we have no idea what's happened to the Republic as an entity.

We do, the Republic senate was stationed on Hosnian Prime, as part of the Hosnian system, and as stated by grand duke what's a decoy Hux, she's dead Jim, Hosnian, it's dead. Or are we retconning TFA already because it doesn't fit with the vibe of there being anything but independent headless chook planets with delegates dead and kablooey and garrissoned forces deployed in the core system also gone?

Then the resistance run out of fuel and become 3 ships, then 1 ship, then no ships and the falcon + transports and we are expecting...

OT capital class Star Destroyers!

I assume the Repblic heads, which should have been in the senate as per all other instances magically weren't, and it was in hiatus for Corellias freedom or something.

Kristian making a lot of sense that Rey is possibly a clone created by Palpatine I like his theory a lot.

Yeah I referenced it a few days ago, made a lot of sense to me and something I could get on board with.

May 15, 2017
My Couch
AFL Club
Richmond
So another alleged leak of TROS plot has popped up and is gaining attention. The leaker is a mod of r/StarWarsLeaks and has been correct on several things in the past.

Compared to the Spoilerboard leak this version of TROS sounds like absolute horseshit and could possibly be worse than TLJ. I believe it's fake as do the majority of others in the comments of the post, due to many of the 'plot points' not lining up with previous leaks. It doesn't make much sense

If you want to read it for a lol and wtf because it's that ridiculous then go ahead but again be wary that there is a possibility of it being true, and if so then we are doomed.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Holy sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet that is ******* awful, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the actual story -- typical lame JJ/Terio story.

There ARE elements of that leaked plot tho that seem true imo. That can still tie in with the other plot leak doing the rounds.

Tho they are two very different plots, there are elements from this one that I can see can tie in very well with the former plot leak.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Are anyone's expectations not at rock bottom for Ep 9?

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
JackOutback will love it in his cover letter to Disney.
Way too old to get a job at Disney.

Face it, some people liked TLJ (including a lot of critics). It’s a good movie but I can see why some people think it’s a bad Star Wars movie. My expectation is it will be fun but won’t be as good as TLJ.

My other expectation is that everyone claiming they won’t watch it will see it, it’ll be bland enough and offer enough fan service that they’ll think it’s great. And in 10 years time, they’ll agree TLJ is a classic Star Wars movie and claim they believed so all along :tearsofjoy:

Way too old to get a job at Disney.

Face it, some people liked TLJ (including a lot of critics). It’s a good movie but I can see why some people think it’s a bad Star Wars movie. My expectation is it will be fun but won’t be as good as TLJ.

My other expectation is that everyone claiming they won’t watch it will see it, it’ll be bland enough and offer enough fan service that they’ll think it’s great. And in 10 years time, they’ll agree TLJ is a classic Star Wars movie and claim they believed so all along :tearsofjoy:
Do you like AotC?

Back