Star Wars Star Wars - General Discussion / Legends / Comics

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m reading som of the TPM novellas that came out as quick cheap kids reads when ep 1 was released. The first one reveals Qui-Gon communicating via telepathy with an underwater monster. It’s very heartwarming that the have a run-in then end up apologising and going on their ways.

So there you go - force telepathy with animals in actual verbal conversation. Any other instances of this in the EU?

I’m reading som of the TPM novellas that came out as quick cheap kids reads when ep 1 was released. The first one reveals Qui-Gon communicating via telepathy with an underwater monster. It’s very heartwarming that the have a run-in then end up apologising and going on their ways.

So there you go - force telepathy with animals in actual verbal conversation. Any other instances of this in the EU?
But did he milk it's udders?

Never read any EU stuff.

Seriously considering Heir to the Empire, though. Is it...okay? Or basically Amtrak Wars bad.

Or would a graphic novel be a better option?

Never read any EU stuff.

Seriously considering Heir to the Empire, though. Is it...okay? Or basically Amtrak Wars bad.

Same as me, I’ve been a Star Wars fan since ‘78 but have never read a book, comic or even any of the CGI cartoons that are out. What book or books would anyone recommend to start with? My favourite parts of Star Wars are the mythology of the force from the OT, not the force ideas from the PT and ST. I don’t mind all newer movies but the force is turning into a Marvel superpower rather than the life essence that it was originally conceived.

Books....

Shadows of the Empire trilogy
Bane trilogy
Thrawn trilogy
Bloodline
Lords of the Sith
Tarkin
Darth Plagueis

For comic, there are many, but a pretty cool one is.....

Star Wars: Infinities- A New Hope.

Which goes into what would have happened if the Death Star didn't blow up, like an alternate reality

Never read any EU stuff.

Don't know how it would hold up to a first reading in this day and age of Star Wars, but I've read it three times over the 25 years and loved it each time. One critic said 'you can almost hear the Star Wars theme as you read it' and that was definitely true for me. I would absolutely start with that; if it doesn't do anything for you, then you probably shouldn't bother with the rest. It's still the gold standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dark Empire? Sounded terrible, so I never read it, though I don't read comics at all really (except the graphic novel of George Lucas's initial Star Wars screenplay).

The first few issues I have are good but like must EU stuff they probably get undone by one horrible gimmicky plot decision.

Sent from mTalk

Books....

Shadows of the Empire trilogy
Bane trilogy
Thrawn trilogy
Bloodline
Lords of the Sith
Tarkin
Darth Plagueis

For comic, there are many, but a pretty cool one is.....

Star Wars: Infinities- A New Hope.

Which goes into what would have happened if the Death Star didn't blow up, like an alternate reality

There's only one Shadows of the Empire book?

If you want the top of the line Star Wars EU books (so now non-canon).

Thrawn Trilogy
Bane Trilogy
Darth Plagueis
Shatterpoint

Are all fantastic reads. The rest sort of lean on each other so hard to recommend other good ones.

Of the books part of canon now:

Tarkin
Dark Lords of the Sith
Bloodlines
Catalyst

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-o...e-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

GAME OF THRONES CREATORS DAVID BENIOFF AND D.B. WEISS TO WRITE AND PRODUCE A NEW SERIES OF STAR WARS FILMS

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

No release dates have been set for the new films, and there have (thankfully) been no sightings of White Walkers around Lucasfilm.

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-o...e-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

GAME OF THRONES CREATORS DAVID BENIOFF AND D.B. WEISS TO WRITE AND PRODUCE A NEW SERIES OF STAR WARS FILMS

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

No release dates have been set for the new films, and there have (thankfully) been no sightings of White Walkers around Lucasfilm.
Should start a new thread posting that same info. Forum needs another SW thread.

GG have you read 'Lost Stars' by Claudia Grey? It's a young adult book, but I actually enjoyed it a lot. Was interesting to have the perspective of the empire. Quite looking forward to the battlefront 2 prequel Inferno Squadron later this year.

I'm up to the 3rd and final Aftermath book. First one I hated, took me ages to get through it. Second one was okay, and third one I'm only a quarter way through, its okay too, just taking forever to finish it.

Bloodline I struggled through too. It was actually rather interesting but after a while the politics was a bit much.

Will be reading the new Thrawn book next, followed by Inferno Squadron which is probably the one I'm really looking forward to.

Sorry it took so long. But I was very busy with other things. I dont like to mix stuff i do around a bit to keep my mind fresh. So after reading some SW books, i delved into other forms of entertainment. Now I'm back reading a SW book.

On your recommendation I'm halfway thru Lost Stars. Gotta say, she's much better in this book than Bloodline -- which in itself has been the best post-Lucas-era book I've read. Lost Stars is a marvelous read, so well-written, and hardly any of that "female" perspective that infiltrated too much of Bloodline that I talked about earlier.

Thanks for pushing me to read this first before diving into other SW books.

I've got so many others lined up to read, hundreds of them, all on PDF of course ;)

Sorry it took so long. But I was very busy with other things. I dont like to mix stuff i do around a bit to keep my mind fresh. So after reading some SW books, i delved into other forms of entertainment. Now I'm back reading a SW book.

On your recommendation I'm halfway thru Lost Stars. Gotta say, she's much better in this book than Bloodline -- which in itself has been the best post-Lucas-era book I've read. Lost Stars is a marvelous read, so well-written, and hardly any of that "female" perspective that infiltrated too much of Bloodline that I talked about earlier.

Thanks for pushing me to read this first before diving into other SW books.

I've got so many others lined up to read, hundreds of them, all on PDF of course ;)

Just curious, what's wrong with a "female" perspective? I was going to recommend Leia: Princess of Alderaan, but if that's not your thing you won't enjoy that, even though I loved that too, there's a fantastic sequence on one of the moons of Naboo that anyone that's read it will understand.

Just curious, what's wrong with a "female" perspective? I was going to recommend Leia: Princess of Alderaan, but if that's not your thing you won't enjoy that, even though I loved that too, there's a fantastic sequence on one of the moons of Naboo that anyone that's read it will understand.
I meant more the amount of time spent describing hairstyles and dresses etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back