Star Wars Star Wars - General Discussion / Legends / Comics

Remove this Banner Ad

Zeroh discusses what his original Sequel Trilogy was going to be about...from an interview between John Cameron and George Lucas....Lucas wanted to go into the midichlorians a lot, the Whills being the masters of the Force, the midichlorians, talking about the whole concept of the Force as a Religion, a creationist myth, but Lucas says if I had still control of SW I would HAVE finished this saga this way, and tho fans would've hated it, the whole saga in my mind would have at least been completed.

Lucas doubling down on one of the things people disliked most about the PT :rolleyes: He captured lightning in a bottle, but like the ST or not, he wouldn't have made it better.
Agree. Think he couldn't see the forest from the trees he was so wrapped up in the whole mythos and lost touch of the Saturday afternoon matinee adventure thing.

In this video/article/tweet....

lucasfilm creative arts manager, who was there working on stuff for ep 7 right from the start when lucas still owned it and was preparing a storyline for 7, all the way thru the disney sale and the development of luke from that early concept.

lucas had planned to have luke secluded in a cave in a jedi temple on an island, a la colonel kurtz from apocalypse now, re-assesing his life, struggling with the dark side, because he always had that potential in him, comes from darth vader's lineage, exploring his dark side away from everyone, tapping into it, gradually over the arc of episode 7 he eventually he got back his vitality and returned to himself.

interesting possible plan....

in essence, Disney moving SW focus to TV (Disney Service) once the current trilogy ends, might not be a movie in the next 2+ years after Ep9 ends. So all focus on the TV side with live action shows like Mandalorian and Cassian Endor, plus a bunch of other animations/etc that will be created and moved to the Disney Service.

interesting possible plan....

in essence, Disney moving SW focus to TV (Disney Service) once the current trilogy ends, might not be a movie in the next 2+ years after Ep9 ends. So all focus on the TV side with live action shows like Mandalorian and Cassian Endor, plus a bunch of other animations/etc that will be created and moved to the Disney Service.

I’ve said it before, they should make the Solo sequel they were obviously planning a ‘TV’ movie to sell Disney Plus. None of the actors are too big to say they don’t do TV, it could lessen the impression of Solo as a failure. They can still do other cinema releases.

I’ve said it before, they should make the Solo sequel they were obviously planning a ‘TV’ movie to sell Disney Plus. None of the actors are too big to say they don’t do TV, it could lessen the impression of Solo as a failure. They can still do other cinema releases.
The TV side, Disney Plus, is the perfect format for Disney/LF to flesh out all the gaps between OT and ST, and the new history pre-PT. Without causing SW fatigue in the cinema, and using the cinema instead for that GoT trilogy that could go back to the idea of a movie every 8 years or something, more of an "event" feel to the cinema experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they should do a Kenobi mini-series on the streaming service.
Would McGregor be keen on reprising it for TV rather than cinema (obviously he has done Fargo, but that's something of a prestige project). With Solo, none of the stars are big enough to say no. They were obviously planning some sort of loose trilogy, with Crimson Dawn tying it together, that's now been shelved; I say do a Solo sequel or a Boba Fett movie for the streaming service to close the story out.

Would McGregor be keen on reprising it for TV rather than cinema (obviously he has done Fargo, but that's something of a prestige project). With Solo, none of the stars are big enough to say no. They were obviously planning some sort of loose trilogy, with Crimson Dawn tying it together, that's now been shelved; I say do a Solo sequel or a Boba Fett movie for the streaming service to close the story out.

Kenobi wouldn't be prestige?

The amount of money they're putting in the budget for Mandalorian, if that does well, why not?

Kenobi wouldn't be prestige?

The amount of money they're putting in the budget for Mandalorian, if that does well, why not?
Hard to say; sci-fi has always struggled for the same recognition as other genres outside of big cinema releases. And Disney Plus doesn't have the same reputation as a HBO or the like. The Mandalorian's budget is $100m for 10 hours, Solo was meant to be $150m for two hours. It might be seen as a demotion rather than a prestige drama.

Theres no way you could put solo2 or fett on the big screen after the fallout of tlj/solo

Dont think ep9 will redeem disney much to make people want a solo2 or fett in the cinemas

Tv is best medium imo for it now, the occasional sw movie every 5 years otherwise
No chance; Disney haven't invested the kind of money they have to put out a movie once every five years. And despite your fears, TLJ hasn't 'killed' Star Wars. They will reset and continue to release a film each year. I do like that they are investing as heavily in TV, it carries less risk while giving me more Star Wars.

Hard to say; sci-fi has always struggled for the same recognition as other genres outside of big cinema releases. And Disney Plus doesn't have the same reputation as a HBO or the like. The Mandalorian's budget is $100m for 10 hours, Solo was meant to be $150m for two hours. It might be seen as a demotion rather than a prestige drama.

Doesn't The Mandalorian have a higher per-episode budget than GOT?

No chance; Disney haven't invested the kind of money they have to put out a movie once every five years. And despite your fears, TLJ hasn't 'killed' Star Wars. They will reset and continue to release a film each year. I do like that they are investing as heavily in TV, it carries less risk while giving me more Star Wars.

If anything, and if they have sense, they'll realise they can't treat SW as another Marvel-like property. The reason TFA and TLJ did such big numbers and (I assume) IX will do ok, is the hype around the Star Wars trilogies due to the wait in between trilogies.

Doing one a year was never going to work for this sort of property.

If they announce B&W as coming out with their saga starting from say, 2025 onwards, I think that's enough of a wait.

They can still do event trilogies and smaller fare in between, they just have to lower their expectation that every film will be a $1b event. Think of it like Avengers vs Ant-Man. Thing is, none of Marvel's movies regularly made $1b until the universe was established; the original films all grossed in the $350-$600m range, I think. If they build a universe that is critically well received (i.e. good movies) and slowly expands the overall story, then box office will rise accordingly. They were spoilt that TFA, R1 and TLJ were riding a nostalgia wave and each grossed $1b.

They can still do event trilogies and smaller fare in between, they just have to lower their expectation that every film will be a $1b event. Think of it like Avengers vs Ant-Man. Thing is, none of Marvel's movies regularly made $1b until the universe was established; the original films all grossed in the $350-$600m range, I think. If they build a universe that is critically well received (i.e. good movies) and slowly expands the overall story, then box office will rise accordingly. They were spoilt that TFA, R1 and TLJ were riding a nostalgia wave and each grossed $1b.

I think that's very much the wrong way to look at it, both from a fan perspective and a business perspective.

It dilutes the brand way to much and merely "lowering expectations" shouldn't be the response. If they do a new trilogy every 10-15 years they can pad out the interim with TV shows, comics, books, the occasional (read: OCCASIONAL) spin off movie to fill in questions the previous trilogy left, and still make truckloads of cash. But a movie every year or two is far too much and dilutes the brand.

I think that's very much the wrong way to look at it, both from a fan perspective and a business perspective.

It dilutes the brand way to much and merely "lowering expectations" shouldn't be the response. If they do a new trilogy every 10-15 years they can pad out the interim with TV shows, comics, books, the occasional (read: OCCASIONAL) spin off movie to fill in questions the previous trilogy left, and still make truckloads of cash. But a movie every year or two is far too much and dilutes the brand.
You're thinking of Star Wars as an event movie, I imagine Disney are thinking of Star Wars as a brand and a universe. Is Marvel diluted by the release of Black Panther, Infinity War, Ant-Man and Captain Marvel all within 12 months? No, because they are separate movies under the same brand. What Disney need to achieve is separating Star Wars from the Skywalker saga, which is what the current trilogy is seeking to do, so people can watch and enjoy multiple stories without thinking it's all part of the one Star Wars story.

If anything, they need less prequels and filling in the gaps, and more new characters and events that people come to think of Star Wars. Rogue One was a good starting point, the mistake was going to Solo next, when they should have set something new after ROTJ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back