Star Wars Holiday Special

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2006
Canada
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Ok, this has been bugging me for years - I have vivid memories of watching this when I was young but was only about 1 when it originally aired. So I’ve always figured it must have aired again even though George Lucas did his best to make it disappear after its first airing (in the US at least).

I found this article which notes that it played at least once again in NSW:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/05/why-canberra-is-australias-star-wars-holiday-special-capital/

I grew up in Adelaide but this article makes me think that maybe an Adelaide station just randomly played it again years later as well.

Does anyone else remember seeing it on TV?

I apologize in advance if you accidentally witnessed Bea Arthur singing because of the above link.

I grew up in Adelaide, I definitely remember seeing it on TV. Some vague recollection it was on Channel 10, but that may be wrong. The Boba Fett Cartoon was semi-good. Most of it was terrible, I'm talking Last Jedi levels of bad.

I grew up in Adelaide, I definitely remember seeing it on TV. Some vague recollection it was on Channel 10, but that may be wrong. The Boba Fett Cartoon was semi-good. Most of it was terrible, I'm talking Last Jedi levels of bad.
TLJ is awesome & I don’t get the hate for it at all.

What is your problem with it?

TLJ is awesome & I don’t get the hate for it at all.

What is your problem with it?

There were many reasons. The one major point (and I accept that my experience colours my view) is the story with Luke. Star Wars is one of the great memories as a child. It's the 1st movie I can ever remember seeing at the cinema. I fell in love with the movie. I felt connected to Luke on a level that was pretty intense to me. I grew up without a Father, and little 6 YO me connected with a story of a boy who grew up without a Father. Watched Empire/Return and my fandom of Luke grew. He was the guy who sensed the good in his Father despite all the evil, ****ed up s**t he had done. This same guy gets a feeling that his nephew and the son of his best friend, might have a bit of a chance to turn to the dark side, and his response is to kill him in his sleep. It was bullshit.

I can accept that I had a much closer personal attachment to Luke then most so it certainly does make me biased. But, it's just my opinion man (and no, my father is not Darth Vader).

There were other reasons, that have been debated back and forth. So, it's more than the Luke storyline. But that's my number 1 reason.

I reckon it was shown more than once in Australia. My recollection it was shown on TV after Empire made it to the cinemas.

Happy Life Day to you all.

I have seen it up on Youtube but I can watch less than 3 minutes of it at a time otherwise I cringe too much. The Star Wars Holiday Special is indeed one of the strangest pieces of cinema I have ever seen. It is like it is from an alternate dimension or perhaps a galaxy far, far away and has somehow ended up on Earth in our dimension. But if Star Wars Holiday Special really is from an alternate dimension or a far away galaxy, I think that the people there would hate it too.

Yet while I felt embarrassed by Star Wars Holiday Special, I never felt insulted by it the way I felt insulted by The Last Jedi.

I reckon it was shown more than once in Australia. My recollection it was shown on TV after Empire made it to the cinemas.

Happy Life Day to you all.
That works for me because I remember seeing it on tele when we lived in Perth which would have been summer 80/81.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back