Star Wars movie

Remove this Banner Ad

A sort of 'evening up' for Ep 1.

IMO It does more than make up for the clusterf*** that is Phantom Menace. What Rogue One does is it builds a bridge between Prequel and Original trilogy.

Prior to watching the film I wanted the third anthology film to be a tale about Obi Wan. Now I want the (US) R rated Wolverine film to smash it at the box office. If Wolverine is successful, and with the success of Deadpool already banked, it may open the door to a (US) R rated Vader Anthology film.

If that was to happen (and it was good) it would mean that you could cut TPM and AOTC out of the saga in terms of need to watch.

There would be the ability to alter the machete order

Vader - (anthology)
Rogue One (anthology)
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith (as like a flashback)
Return of the Jedi

You cut the weakest of the films from the saga and you wind up with basically an entire story. Gunguns gone. Trade federation embargo bullshit gone, Midichlorians gone, instant army gone.

As to Rogue One itself:
I walked out of the cinema and I was annoyed that it was so good. It had everything that a Star Wars movie needed and it wasn't as ridiculously indulgent as the Prequels.

There is a lot that is going on in the movie but what it does is, it in a neat package ties the PT to the OT. Jimmy Smiths as Bail Organ is a great touches. Call for Hera (General Syndalla) over the intercom ties in the Rebels Series.

It goes where no other Star Wars film has gone. This is what the empire looks like to ordinary people. Some huge things show up over where you live, wreak destruction everywhere, get what they want and then f*** off with technology you will never be able to touch. You will die and we won't care.

It shows that the rebellion is not this warm and fuzzy thing but it is cut throat, if you're not with us you're against us. Even more than that, if you are with us you are likely to be expendable if no longer convenient.

It did fan service in better ways than The Force Awakens. Cassian Shoots a guy in the back, fires first and this guy ain't even some weak bounty hunter type guy looking to black mail him, it was a guy trying to help Cassian.

The game in Saw's Cantina.

The fan service is there but it is understated. It is not - Remember when you saw this lightsaber stuck in snow in the exact same way and Luke drew it out using the force for the first time on screen.

There was stuff I didn't particularly like, I didn't think Leia was needed, personal preference and all, but if you take her out does the movie lose a lot? IMO it wouldn't.

I liked Vader's Castle, however again that interaction is relatively meaningless.

If you allow meaning from Rogue One to flow into ANH it enhances a lot, Leia becomes a bit more ballsy (diplomatic mission to Alderman? Horse suit you were just in a major battle). Tarkin lording over a Technological marvel that he stole from its creator, and has no idea of the flaw.

It does however make Leia hella cold, when she says there is no time for mourning, f*** your dad just got blown the f*** to pieces.

Anyway I thought is was great and that possibly the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars will be George selling it to Disney (which conceivably will make him richer than retaining the rights ever would have as 2 of the 4 billion he was paid was in Disney Stock)

IMO It does more than make up for the clusterf*** that is Phantom Menace. What Rogue One does is it builds a bridge between Prequel and Original trilogy.

Prior to watching the film I wanted the third anthology film to be a tale about Obi Wan. Now I want the (US) R rated Wolverine film to smash it at the box office. If Wolverine is successful, and with the success of Deadpool already banked, it may open the door to a (US) R rated Vader Anthology film.

If that was to happen (and it was good) it would mean that you could cut TPM and AOTC out of the saga in terms of need to watch.

Vader - (anthology)
Rogue One (anthology)
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

You cut the weakest of the films from the saga and you wind up with basically an entire story. Gunguns gone. Trade federation embargo bullshit gone, Midichlorians gone, instant army gone.

As to Rogue One itself:
I walked out of the cinema and I was annoyed that it was so good. It had everything that a Star Wars movie needed and it wasn't as ridiculously indulgent as the Prequels.

There is a lot that is going on in the movie but what it does is, it in a neat package ties the PT to the OT. Jimmy Smiths as Bail Organ is a great touches. Call for Hera (General Syndalla) over the intercom ties in the Rebels Series.

It goes where no other Star Wars film has gone. This is what the empire looks like to ordinary people. Some huge things show up over where you live, wreak destruction everywhere, get what they want and then f*** off with technology you will never be able to touch. You will die and we won't care.

It shows that the rebellion is not this warm and fuzzy thing but it is cut throat, if you're not with us you're against us. Even more than that, if you are with us you are likely to be expendable if no longer convenient.

It did fan service in better ways than The Force Awakens. Cassian Shoots a guy in the back, fires first and this guy ain't even some weak bounty hunter type guy looking to black mail him, it was a guy trying to help Cassian.

The game in Saw's Cantina.

The fan service is there but it is understated. It is not - Remember when you saw this lightsaber stuck in snow in the exact same way and Luke drew it out using the force for the first time on screen.

There was stuff I didn't particularly like, I didn't think Leia was needed, personal preference and all, but if you take her out does the movie lose a lot? IMO it wouldn't.

I liked Vader's Castle, however again that interaction is relatively meaningless.

If you allow meaning from Rogue One to flow into ANH it enhances a lot, Leia becomes a bit more ballsy (diplomatic mission to Alderman? Horse suit you were just in a major battle). Tarkin lording over a Technological marvel that he stole from its creator, and has no idea of the flaw.

It does however make Leia hella cold, when she says there is no time for mourning, f*** your dad just got blown the f*** to pieces.

Anyway I thought is was great and that possibly the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars will be George selling it to Disney (which conceivably will make him richer than retaining the rights ever would have as 2 of the 4 billion he was paid was in Disney Stock)
agree to pretty much all. However I have no issue with the leia cameo. It finishes the tying together of rogue one with epIV especially for the more casual watchers.

Did anyone else notice the little Easter egg: red 5 died in the assault on the shield gate. Leaving the call sign free for Luke to take up.

agree to pretty much all. However I have no issue with the leia cameo. It finishes the tying together of rogue one with epIV especially for the more casual watchers.

Did anyone else notice the little Easter egg: red 5 died in the assault on the shield gate. Leaving the call sign free for Luke to take up.
Perhaps I can concede on Leia for casual watchers, I still really think that the star destroyer and the Rebel ship is enough to tie the two together. It feels a little " the were so focussed on the fact the could they didn't stop to think whether they should".

But it really is splitting hairs. It was solid and given all the s**t in the Prequels this is nothing comparatively.

The film is littered with great stuff like the red 5 thing. Rogue Leader is also Luke's call sign in ESB, so in a way he's tied in there too.

Red Leader and Gold leader were also consistent with ANH and were found in raw footage on Skywalker ranch. Makes me wonder what sort of treasure trove of footage Uncle George has.

I cannot wait for VIII. Luke rumoured to have searched out the first Jedi Temple, what if he found something that pre dated them. Rogue One has a lot of stuff in it that is now canon which can be called upon.

6 star wars films in 6 years and we've had 2 quality entries. Roll on VIII.

Perhaps I can concede on Leia for casual watchers, I still really think that the star destroyer and the Rebel ship is enough to tie the two together. It feels a little " the were so focussed on the fact the could they didn't stop to think whether they should".

But it really is splitting hairs. It was solid and given all the s**t in the Prequels this is nothing comparatively.

The film is littered with great stuff like the red 5 thing. Rogue Leader is also Luke's call sign in ESB, so in a way he's tied in there too.

Red Leader and Gold leader were also consistent with ANH and were found in raw footage on Skywalker ranch. Makes me wonder what sort of treasure trove of footage Uncle George has.

I cannot wait for VIII. Luke rumoured to have searched out the first Jedi Temple, what if he found something that pre dated them. Rogue One has a lot of stuff in it that is now canon which can be called upon.

6 star wars films in 6 years and we've had 2 quality entries. Roll on VIII.
Agreed.

Yep, it's absolutely littered with callbacks, it's amazing. Like the 2 thugs that try and get into Jyn in Jedha being the same 2 thugs who try and punch on with Luke on Tatooine, the blue milk etc.

My biggest continuity gripe was with the C3PO/R2 scene actually, they say "They're going to.." when technically they had to be going to for them to be on Leia's ship

Agreed.

Yep, it's absolutely littered with callbacks, it's amazing. Like the 2 thugs that try and get into Jyn in Jedha being the same 2 thugs who try and punch on with Luke on Tatooine, the blue milk etc.

My biggest continuity gripe was with the C3PO/R2 scene actually, they say "They're going to.." when technically they had to be going to for them to be on Leia's ship

Jedha is destroyed by Tarkin goading Krennic.

In ANH Tarkin says " the Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out in the universe. You my friend are all that is left of their religion"

Because Tarkin f***ing just tore believers in the force apart by destroying Jedha.

Obi Wan would have felt a huge ripple in the force when that occurred. As would have Yoda.

I need to watch it again.

Agreed.

Thought the same about the passengers..how ******* dumb

If I was a billionaire I would seriously consider paying Disney to do some re-shoots, re-writes and heavily re-edit Episodes I, II and III.
It would be changing history but I don't care.

If I was a billionaire I would seriously consider paying Disney to do some re-shoots, re-writes and heavily re-edit Episodes I, II and III.
It would be changing history but I don't care.
Just ask TT for a loan..

edit of Only Forwards post said:

Prior to watching the film I wanted the third anthology film to be a tale about Obi Wan.

Vader - (anthology)
Rogue One (anthology)
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

As to Rogue One itself:

I walked out of the cinema and ....

It goes where no other Star Wars film has gone.

It did fan service in better ways than The Force Awakens.

There was stuff I didn't particularly like...

Anyway I thought is was great and that possibly the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars will be George selling it to Disney

the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-i-don-t-always-watch-star-wars-but-when-i-do-it-s-not-one-of-those-god-damn-prequels-005ea6.jpg

021.jpg

swnpe.jpg

large.jpg

2013-03-02-trek_wars_potter_meme.jpeg

I just thought of something else really small I liked about Rogue One. (non spoiler)

The imperial uniforms of some of the guys on the space stations, they looked like uniforms taken care of, washed and ironed by regular people rather than pristine, unbelieveable outfits. Creases in the capes and the shirts, rougher texture overcoats etc rather than the flat looking jackets from earlier movies.

Just made it feel more real.

Last edited:
I just thought of something else really small I liked about Rogue One. (non spoiler)

The imperial uniforms of some of the guys on the space stations, they looked like uniforms taken care of, washed and ironed by regular people rather than pristine, unbelieveable outfits. Creases in the capes and the shirts, rougher texture overcoats etc rather than the flat looking jackets from earlier movies.

Just made it feel more real.
Just rewatching the "I find your lack of faith disturbing" scene, I noticed that there was a balding officer sitting in on the conference, who looked exactly the same as the chubby older balding officer talking to Tarkin on the Death Star and he also gave the order to fire on Scarif after prompting by Tarkin. A lot of the officers in Rogue One looked very similarly to the ones in episode four. Little details that few will notice, but I'm happy they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just rewatching the "I find your lack of faith disturbing" scene, I noticed that there was a balding officer sitting in on the conference, who looked exactly the same as the chubby older balding officer talking to Tarkin on the Death Star and he also gave the order to fire on Scarif after prompting by Tarkin. A lot of the officers in Rogue One looked very similarly to the ones in episode four. Little details that few will notice, but I'm happy they did.

...hmmm was the whole movie just one big CGI actor fest?

...hmmm was the whole movie just one big CGI actor fest?
Not quite, they would not bother with minor characters like I just posted about. They would have got similar looking actors to do that. For example, one of the officers on Vader's star destroyer looked fairly similar to the later admiral piett from Ep 5.

Just paying great homage to the original films without going overboard with it.

Not quite, they would not bother with minor characters like I just posted about. They would have got similar looking actors to do that. For example, one of the officers on Vader's star destroyer looked fairly similar to the later admiral piett from Ep 5.

Just paying great homage to the original films without going overboard with it.

Homage or continuity or both.

Tried to play the Dark Forces games last night in honour of Rogue 1 (In DF1 Katarn steals the plans to the Death Star) but they play so poorly on modern machines I had to give up :(

Tried to play the Dark Forces games last night in honour of Rogue 1 (In DF1 Katarn steals the plans to the Death Star) but they play so poorly on modern machines I had to give up :(
Try the second battlefront game or empire at war to relive the moments.

Try the second battlefront game or empire at war to relive the moments.
The Dark Forces games have a special place in my heart as they were one of the first FPS games I ever played, and probably one of the first Star Wars games I played as well, was really hoping to relive them.

Luckily I got a Star Wars pack on humble bundle a while back so I have a bit I can play, also have a spare key for Dark Forces if anyone wants it, first person to say they want it gets it, must have steam:

Star Wars Battle Front II
Star Wars Empire at War Gold
Star Wars Galactic Battle Grounds
Star Wars Dark Forces
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Star Wars Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast
Star Wars jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Rebellion
Star Wars Republic Commando
Star Wars Xwing vs Tie Fighter
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II The Sith Lords
Star Wars TIE Fighter Special Ed
Star Wars X-Wing Special Ed

Think the entire pack was like 6 bucks.

No spoilers, but that was such a treat for old Star Wars nerds - like me, who know every frame of the original - and apparently for younger ones who are into the expanded universe. Really enjoyed it.

Chirrut Imwe - totally awesome.

The Dark Forces games have a special place in my heart as they were one of the first FPS games I ever played, and probably one of the first Star Wars games I played as well, was really hoping to relive them.

Luckily I got a Star Wars pack on humble bundle a while back so I have a bit I can play, also have a spare key for Dark Forces if anyone wants it, first in first serve:

Star Wars Battle Front II
Star Wars Empire at War Gold
Star Wars Galactic Battle Grounds
Star Wars Dark Forces
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Star Wars Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast
Star Wars jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Rebellion
Star Wars Republic Commando
Star Wars Xwing vs Tie Fighter
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II The Sith Lords
Star Wars TIE Fighter Special Ed
Star Wars X-Wing Special Ed

Think the entire pack was like 6 bucks.
That's awesome.

I'm playing forces of corruption myself with the Thrawn's revenge mod with all the cool EU ships and units.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back