Star Wars movie

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to 6pm sesh Thursday

Have no expectations whatsoever

Fwiw Mandalorian is the best SW in 20 years. 6 Episodes in and it’s a rollicking hoot of fun that takes me back to August 1977
I will be going on the following Monday night myself.

I wasn't sure after the Last Jedi, but the Palpatine/Kylo trailer won me over, can't resist seeing Ian McDiarmid on the screen again.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I will be going on the following Monday night myself.

I wasn't sure after the Last Jedi, but the Palpatine/Kylo trailer won me over, can't resist seeing Ian McDiarmid on the screen again.

Should be interesting to see how this Palpatine reappearance story comes into play

I mean if you do a Leia like the last movie, anything goes now

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I think there is an element where Star Wars suffers from how poor it looks in comparison to Marvel.

Star wars first 3 films were great and fun. A lot of people look upon them nostalgically.

The prequels labor under the weight of unclear direction and the clear jump into CGI.

The sequel films are intended to buy in a new generation. But a missed opportunity for something new.

9 films with very little cohesion.

Whereas Marvel had 20 related films layered in a cohesive way to bring a story Arch to completion in a way that raises the individual stakes to a point that when Captain takes up mjölnir it means something.
When Tony Stark delivers the line 'I am Ironman' it completes his character Arch from the first time he says it in the first Marvel film. That first time full of ego and arrogance, the last time through complete self sacrifice.

Comparatively Star Wars is a mess.
Anything in episode 9 that calls on Episode 1 is going to be trite. There will be little emotional connection to it.

I am an unabashed fan. I am. Episode 9 could be dogshit and I'll still watch it multiple times.

The SW universe is in desperate need of new content. No Skywalkers. Characters we don't know with new stories.

I hold out hope for The Mandalorian being the first step in that direction.

I know very little about Marvel but I know rubbish when I see it

Should be interesting to see how this Palpatine reappearance story comes into play

I mean if you do a Leia like the last movie, anything goes now
Well it appears he's been pulling the strings (ala Snoke/Vader mask) judging by that earlier trailer, which is a very Emperor thing to do.

I hope they don't Mary Sue it and get Rey to magically beat him.

My excitement levels... zero

STAR-WARS-THE-BLACK-SERIES-6-INCH-SITH-TROOPER-Figure-in-pck-1.jpg

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm going to the midnight session tonight. I have liked both TFA and TLJ so hoping this one sticks the landing. Based off the early reactions, it might do ok, but my biggest fear looks like it is realised. Too much fan service to counter the TLJ negativity. Oh well, I am sure it will be fun.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Enjoyed it. It is a very big, crazy movie. Lacks a little spark I would have liked but it is still a good, fun adventure film that has some good highs despite being a little linear at times. Definitely a great cinema film as it is shot beautifully and has plenty of action.

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys
So awful. Sure, it looked nice on occasion, but characters that i completely did not care about and a dull plot that can't stop rehashing the originals. They are even digging up the same old bad guys to fight in the same locations. Its the movie equivalent of a tired renunion band.

I have enjoyed any episode of mandalorian more than that. At least it is fresh, new and allows some character development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
So awful. Sure, it looked nice on occasion, but characters that i completely did not care about and a dull plot that can't stop rehashing the originals. They are even digging up the same old bad guys to fight in the same locations. Its the movie equivalent of a tired renunion band.

I have enjoyed any episode of mandalorian more than that. At least it is fresh, new and allows some character development.

Mando rocks

spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers
The new movie I would rate as a Spud Firrito...solid, predictable with some outstanding moments mixed with occasional brain fade moments.
Really liked the first 3 quarters of the movie, then it became a Disney/Hollywood train wreck. It was still sad to see Star Wars go....it's been 42 years of my life....Now for the last episode of Mando.

E07 was far from boring...

Just watched it. You're absolutely right.

You could watch episodes 1, 2 and 7 and skip 3,4,5,6. That would be OK.

It doesn't really compare to something like Watchmen though - which is hilarious and brilliant.

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys
The new movie I would rate as a Spud Firrito...solid, predictable with some outstanding moments mixed with occasional brain fade moments.
Good switch back to the roos.

I would have been wrapped with a Firrito. I reckon it was more like a Shannon Watt. Looks impressive, but at the end of the day was pretty gutless and spent most of the time running around without much of a clue.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Really liked the first 3 quarters of the movie, then it became a Disney/Hollywood train wreck. It was still sad to see Star Wars go....it's been 42 years of my life....Now for the last episode of Mando.

That’s what I was saddest about at the end; nothing to do with the movie...just the realisation that reading back in the late 1970’s that SW was part of a Nine Part Series and that last scene was the end of it all was just sad

That’s what I was saddest about at the end; nothing to do with the movie...just the realisation that reading back in the late 1970’s that SW was part of a Nine Part Series and that last scene was the end of it all was just sad
Lucas had different ideas, but sometimes it was better he didn’t always get his way.

Disney didn’t respect the old EU stuff enough, plenty of good ep 7-9 stuff in there.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just watched it. You're absolutely right.

You could watch episodes 1, 2 and 7 and skip 3,4,5,6. That would be OK.

It doesn't really compare to something like Watchmen though - which is hilarious and brilliant.
next episode will be a real test to the script writers, hard to see how they get out of this pickle. without some outlandish SOA style script-writing.

also this was pretty much the first real episode that showcased Gina Carano's MMA background.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back