Star Wars movie

Remove this Banner Ad

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's better than The Last Jedi.

The film pretty much plays it safe and damage controls what Rian horrendously did in TLJ.

Let's be realistic, they are all varying degrees of s**t for different reasons, which one is less s**t than the others doesn't really matter. The only reason people watched these movies was because of the Star Wars IP, if you tried to tell similar stories without the SW IP in alternative sci-fi setting with that standard of script, acting, directing, producing, etc then they would have been Battlefield Earth type of cluster* movies.

Is there anything remotely redeeming about these movies outside of budget related things like the CGI/visuals, Soundtrack, etc? It is not that they are s**t movies so to speak, it is that they are poor legacies to what was an original classic that stands the test of time even by today's standards of filmogrophy. These will just be remembered as poor sequels by comparison.

Let's be realistic, they are all varying degrees of s**t for different reasons, which one is less s**t than the others doesn't really matter. The only reason people watched these movies was because of the Star Wars IP, if you tried to tell similar stories without the SW IP in alternative sci-fi setting with that standard of script, acting, directing, producing, etc then they would have been Battlefield Earth type of clusterfu** movies.

Is there anything remotely redeeming about these movies outside of budget related things like the CGI/visuals, Soundtrack, etc? It is not that they are s**t movies so to speak, it is that they are poor legacies to what was an original classic that stands the test of time even by today's standards of filmogrophy. These will just be remembered as poor sequels by comparison.
Should have stuck with the original six and be done with it, but hindsight is a fickle thing.

At least with the original 6, you had a decent enemy and deep villains, the last three main movies haven’t had one at all. I.E. Compare the Empire to the First Order, the FO weren’t even allowed to touch or harm the good guys and the multiple betrayals were poorly explained.

Character motivations and transitions are all over the shop. And they made the plot armour of ep 6 look like nothing and I’m not just talking about Rey. At least with ep 1, you had an idea about what was happening (ie over taxation causing issues), the last three barely explain what’s happening in the background and why things are happening.

Loved Solo and Rogue One and loving the Mandalorian.

BigRedRoo

Club Legend
May 17, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Should have stuck with the original six and be done with it, but hindsight is a fickle thing.

At least with the original 6, you had a decent enemy and deep villains, the last three main movies haven’t had one at all. I.E. Compare the Empire to the First Order, the FO weren’t even allowed to touch or harm the good guys and the multiple betrayals were poorly explained.

Character motivations and transitions are all over the shop. And they made the plot armour of ep 6 look like nothing and I’m not just talking about Rey. At least with ep 1, you had an idea about what was happening (ie over taxation causing issues), the last three barely explain what’s happening in the background and why things are happening.

The original six?????
the original three you mean.
The second trilogy was utter crap.
The final three has at least repaired some of the damage of Jar Jar F'ing Binks.

Tarka_Dal

Senior List
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Let's be realistic, they are all varying degrees of s**t for different reasons, which one is less s**t than the others doesn't really matter. The only reason people watched these movies was because of the Star Wars IP, if you tried to tell similar stories without the SW IP in alternative sci-fi setting with that standard of script, acting, directing, producing, etc then they would have been Battlefield Earth type of clusterfu** movies.

Agree 100%. The Star Wars films are massively over-hyped, essentially B-grade sci-fi, with a behemoth of a budget to blow on visual effects and marketing. The films are geared towards maximizing merchandising revenue for the franchise. This is Disney's Star Wars business model:

Phase 1: Buy rights to Star Wars
Phase 2: Pump out endless films of questionable quality and a whole lot of plastic crap with the Star Wars logo
Phase 3: Profit!

I agree with a comment BigRedRoo made, should have ended with the first three. The less we knew about the details, the better the original movies were. The original story was basically a space opera... with wizard-monks in space, there was a lot left to the imagination, like almost every detail and that was part of what made it great. Someone who didn't know that a parsec is a measurement of distance rather than a measurement of time shouldn't be fleshing out science fiction details. We didn't really need to know for the original movies to be good, it wasn't Star Trek with it's pseudo science and needing to explain intricate details.

I think to some extent JJ Abrams was backed into a corner thanks to Rian Johnson's mediocre story direction, I think Rey is a likeable character, she just has too many bullshit abilities for someone so poorly trained. I think if she gradually came into her abilities and was less of a Mary Sue at the start it would have made her connect with people better.

The other support characters were kind of s**t. Finn, Poe, Rose and whoever else was largely forgettable that I have forgotten to mention were just paper thin characters, I found it hilarious that someone put together The Last Jedi by cutting out all of Rose's scenes and you didn't really lose any important part of the story. They were all just low impact characters with poor plot arcs. Can you imagine cutting out Solo, Leia, Obi-Wan, etc from the original movie?

Ultimately where it fell down was the writing, but the directors had too much autonomy in the movies and Kathleen Kennedy was no Gary Kurtz. Thankfully he wasn't alive to see this abomination, to think he pulled out of the Return of the Jedi because he found the story to be too commercial as well as redundant. Kurtz was the only one who held Lucas in check and made him focus on the story telling and pacing of the movie. Abrams and Johnson just had free reign to do whatever s**t entered their head at the time, Kennedy may as well not have been involved in the projects at all.

It was interesting that Kurtz said that Solo should have died in The Empire Strikes back, that it was originally a darker story but Lucas began to deviate from the planned storyline, he clashed with Lucas because of Lucas' view that the audience was there mostly for the thrills instead of the story and he quit when Lucas changed the emphasis from storytelling to merchandise sales.

I think they lurched from Lucas' no death due to toy sales policy to a Game of Thrones disposal characters for * it we have 5 minutes to fill in this scene approach. Luke died for making his space skype call, Leia didn't die teleporting her lightsaber across the galaxy but died sending Kylo a space sms, Rey was force healing people all over the place, Ben dropped dead healing Rey. They kind of made the force to seem like space russian roulette.

I didn't mind Solo but through the entire movie was wondering why was I hear watching this movie, I don't care about any of these characters. They could have all died in the opening scene and the credits start rolling and I wouldn't have cared.

I liked Rogue One. It was probably the best Disney produced star wars movie, they had to actually make some effort on the storytelling because it wasn't just a fan service film.

I enjoy the Mandalorian, or as my friend calls it, Baby Yoda plus the guy in a helmet. The good thing about the Mandalorian is that the directors care about the story, I wish they made GoT style full-length episodes so they had more time for character development and story arcs, the latest double episode had more time to focus on the story and to me it felt better than some of the others that seemed a bit rushed in parts.

The prequel movies had a good arc, just wasn't executed all that well and didn't settle to a slower pace until Episode III. I actually don't mind them though.

These 3 have been absolute boring dross. Michael Bay would be proud though.

The movies were always going to struggle being anchored down by the OT cast. Read somewhere that someone suggested this trilogy would have been better served having an Anthology like film for the original cast so they would have had a bit more creative freedom. Totally agree with that.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
The further I get away from my viewing the more things don’t make sense

I am sure in A New Hope Luke looks at the Hologram of Leia and says something like who is she and that from Ep3 the twins were separated at birth?

In Ep 9 with that training scene it appeared that they knew each other at the very least?

Wouldn’t Luke have looked at the hologram and said ‘yo Leia. Wats up’?

I agree with a comment BigRedRoo made, should have ended with the first three. The less we knew about the details, the better the original movies were. The original story was basically a space opera... with wizard-monks in space, there was a lot left to the imagination, like almost every detail and that was part of what made it great. Someone who didn't know that a parsec is a measurement of distance rather than a measurement of time shouldn't be fleshing out science fiction details. We didn't really need to know for the original movies to be good, it wasn't Star Trek with it's pseudo science and needing to explain intricate details.

I think to some extent JJ Abrams was backed into a corner thanks to Rian Johnson's mediocre story direction, I think Rey is a likeable character, she just has too many bullshit abilities for someone so poorly trained. I think if she gradually came into her abilities and was less of a Mary Sue at the start it would have made her connect with people better.

The other support characters were kind of s**t. Finn, Poe, Rose and whoever else was largely forgettable that I have forgotten to mention were just paper thin characters, I found it hilarious that someone put together The Last Jedi by cutting out all of Rose's scenes and you didn't really lose any important part of the story. They were all just low impact characters with poor plot arcs. Can you imagine cutting out Solo, Leia, Obi-Wan, etc from the original movie?

Ultimately where it fell down was the writing, but the directors had too much autonomy in the movies and Kathleen Kennedy was no Gary Kurtz. Thankfully he wasn't alive to see this abomination, to think he pulled out of the Return of the Jedi because he found the story to be too commercial as well as redundant. Kurtz was the only one who held Lucas in check and made him focus on the story telling and pacing of the movie. Abrams and Johnson just had free reign to do whatever s**t entered their head at the time, Kennedy may as well not have been involved in the projects at all.

It was interesting that Kurtz said that Solo should have died in The Empire Strikes back, that it was originally a darker story but Lucas began to deviate from the planned storyline, he clashed with Lucas because of Lucas' view that the audience was there mostly for the thrills instead of the story and he quit when Lucas changed the emphasis from storytelling to merchandise sales.

I think they lurched from Lucas' no death due to toy sales policy to a Game of Thrones disposal characters for fu** it we have 5 minutes to fill in this scene approach. Luke died for making his space skype call, Leia didn't die teleporting her lightsaber across the galaxy but died sending Kylo a space sms, Rey was force healing people all over the place, Ben dropped dead healing Rey. They kind of made the force to seem like space russian roulette.

I didn't mind Solo but through the entire movie was wondering why was I hear watching this movie, I don't care about any of these characters. They could have all died in the opening scene and the credits start rolling and I wouldn't have cared.

I liked Rogue One. It was probably the best Disney produced star wars movie, they had to actually make some effort on the storytelling because it wasn't just a fan service film.

I enjoy the Mandalorian, or as my friend calls it, Baby Yoda plus the guy in a helmet. The good thing about the Mandalorian is that the directors care about the story, I wish they made GoT style full-length episodes so they had more time for character development and story arcs, the latest double episode had more time to focus on the story and to me it felt better than some of the others that seemed a bit rushed in parts.
Agree with most of those points. I know we’ve had the discussion about the weaknesses and merits of episodes 1-3 before, but I look upon those films with a sympathetic ear. These were the movies I watched in cinemas as a young kid and ep 2 is the only one I can’t watch fully. Those movies had some redeeming qualities.

Poor plot development and characters have slaughtered episode’s 7-9, but Abrams was left little choice with 9 after what Johnson did. An example is the Hux character, developed as an alternative Tarkin with a burning hatred for the rebels, then comedic fodder, then a traitor. Those transitions were never explained well, it’s just lazy writing.

The original six?????
the original three you mean.
The second trilogy was utter crap.
The final three has at least repaired some of the damage of Jar Jar F'ing Binks.
Because Rose and Porgs were so much better than Jar Jar....

At least ep 1-3 had the brilliance of Ian McDiamrd, despite how horrid some of the stuff was. The lightsaber duels shat on everything else in the series, but those movies suffered from issues that we can talk about all day.

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
Just a quick note on the new Star Wars movie for the Bigfooty crew.
After our indifferent form, my excitment has grown for the new movie and last night I finally got to see it.
AWESOME!
The movie is fantastic, the first half is not boring like some have said but is interesting with the love scenes, which I worried about, coming off very nicely indeed, and fairly short. Ewan McGregor is cool as Obi Wan and he and Anakin are fantastic together.
The end battle scene is amazing and wait for Yoda to show you why they say "the good things come in small packages."
An amazing movie that ranks about a 9.5/10.

Now I am fired for the weekend!
^^ Wtf was I thinking...how embarrassment.

Anywho, a massive bump...and who would have thought all these years later....ffs...

As a geek of many eons I can't help but empathise and laugh. Every time one of these movies came out, everyone loved it and it took ages for the knockers to gather enough force to build up the now pervasive hatred some have for the franchise, unleashing it in force, pardon the pun, before they buy their tickets and show up regardless to the Thursday midnight opening...

SW is stupid but fun. Amazing how the world returns to balance, and how childhood memories remain intact (I was 7 in 1977 and heard an entire cinema go "faaaark" as the star destroyer crawled overhead), when you walk into the cinema armed with this simple attitude...as I will be on Xmas day at 1pm and 4:30pm in Cairns Central...!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a geek of many eons I can't help but empathise and laugh. Every time one of these movies came out, everyone loved it and it took ages for the knockers to gather enough force to build up the now pervasive hatred some have for the franchise, unleashing it in force, pardon the pun, before they buy their tickets and show up regardless to the Thursday midnight opening...

SW is stupid but fun. Amazing how the world returns to balance, and how childhood memories remain intact (I was 7 in 1977 and heard an entire cinema go "faaaark" as the star destroyer crawled overhead), when you walk into the cinema armed with this simple attitude...as I will be on Xmas day at 1pm and 4:30pm in Cairns Central...!

It is like a road crash, we don't want to see the body laying on the side of the road but people slow down and look regardless.

I don't think I hated any of the movies, they were largely entertaining, like I never stormed out of one of the movies. I have a high tolerance for mediocre science fiction, because the vast majority of science fiction is mediocre. The problem with modern Star Wars is they are legacies of the original movie primarily and the original trilogy, they just have never lived up to the same standard. The original was a great story pulled off very well, the weaknesses Lucas had as a director were compensated for by having other great filmmakers around him to keep him on point. We just haven't had that since and it has been reflected in the finished product. Abrams makes entertaining movies, I like how he rebooted Star Trek but a lot of trekkies hate it because the style is very different to traditional Star Trek storytelling, however, I think the characters in Star Trek were well handled.

There just aren't any new characters in Star Wars that I care about, he could kill them all off for all I care. Losing Luke, Leia, Solo, etc even Obi-wan in the original, these were losses because we liked and connected with the characters.

Last edited:
It is like a road crash, we don't want to see the body laying on the side of the road but people slow down and look regardless.

I don't think I hated any of the movies, they were largely entertaining, like I never stormed out of one of the movies. I have a high tolerance for mediocre science fiction, because the vast majority of science fiction is mediocre. The problem with modern Star Wars is they are legacies of the original movie primarily and the original trilogy, they just have never lived up to the same standard. The original was a great story pulled off very well, the weaknesses Lucas had as a director were compensated for by having other great filmmakers around him to keep him on point. We just haven't had that since and it has been reflected in the finished product. Abrams makes entertaining movies, I like how he rebooted Star Trek but a lot of trekkies hate it because the style is very different to traditional Star Trek storytelling, however, I think the characters in Star Trek were well handled.

There just aren't any new characters in Star Wars that I care about, he could kill them all off for all I care. Losing Luke, Leia, Solo, etc even Obi-wan in the original, these were losses because we liked and connected with the characters.

Even Anakin in the second trilogy was a character. Not a particularly likeable one sure, but the second trilogy is trying to tell the story of how someone becomes a bit of a s**t bloke on an epic scale.

So the fact Anakin was a whiney, annoying ******* actually fitted the story.

I think I saw the first of these movies - where Han Solo got killed - but I don't really remember it. I haven't watched any since. They were cut out characters. The story was just a rehash of the original but not in an interesting way. (Maybe the characters were 1 dimensional in the first one as well but as a 7 year old kid you don't care as much.)

Even Anakin in the second trilogy was a character. Not a particularly likeable one sure, but the second trilogy is trying to tell the story of how someone becomes a bit of a s**t bloke on an epic scale.

So the fact Anakin was a whiney, annoying ******* actually fitted the story.

I think I saw the first of these movies - where Han Solo got killed - but I don't really remember it. I haven't watched any since. They were cut out characters. The story was just a rehash of the original but not in an interesting way. (Maybe the characters were 1 dimensional in the first one as well but as a 7 year old kid you don't care as much.)

Ultimately, the premise of Anakin was fine but the story, acting and directing was of a poor standard... which is why nobody felt anything for him in the prequels. People generally do not bond with "the chosen one" characters unless they are very well executed. This is the main problem people have with Rey, the problem people had with Captain Marvel, even if you have hardship as part of the backstory we don't see, if they are basically shitting diamonds or are meant to be superhuman perfect then people don't relate well with them.

This is why people developed bonds with Luke. We got to see his shitty life before going on the adventure, he sucked as a Jedi, he was almost a complete *up in almost every aspect during most of the movies, ****ed up his training, was hot headed and impulsive, would have got squashed by a garbage compactor if he wasn't saved by the droids, lacked a real mentor after Obi-wan got cut down, challenged Vader for emotional reasons, got his hand cut off and would have been dead/converted if he wasn't saved. Luke really only started to have significant ability in the third movie after he had continued his training and he controlled his emotions somewhat.

This was the underlying message throughout the series, that it took training, discipline and control to be a jedi but through almost the entirety of the Disney movies Rey was rash, let her emotions control her decision making, often fought the sith when she was angry/emotional yet she had superhuman ability even by Jedi standards and she never failed in a spectacular way.

It is sad because i like Daisy Ridley as an actress and thought she could have pulled off a better version of Rey if the story was better and if she had better supporting cast. I mean if we went back to A New Hope and Mark Hamil was playing Luke and instead of Obi-wan, Solo, Leia, etc we had Finn, Poe, Rose and Driver as an emo Vader with a paper thin script with s**t plot arcs then nobody would have known Star Wars existed.

nx9pmy2in1wz.jpg

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I liked TFA because at least it gave narrative archs for the next few movies to follow.

But I will still maintain that Rian screwed up the little hope the trilogy had. He didn't follow any character development paths and clearly JJ Abrams had too much work to do in the last film. It needed to be Lord of the rings long to fix Rian's mess.

Too many questions had to be answered in TROS. And the end result was a disaster. The Last Jedi is like the kid that contributed zero to the assignment. You can actually not watch TLJ and watch TROS with the only issue being that Luke dies.

Its like the typical Brad Scott North season. Good start with rough patches followed by awful mid season bullshit, followed by damage control performances.

Just watched it, most of are my thoughts are similar to what I’ve uttered in earlier posts.

Better than Johnson’s mess, but a lot unexplained stuff and a whole heap of ‘good guys’ plot armour that had my non-SW fan brother shaking his head. He was angrier than I was, particularly about the last ‘battle’. Really disappointed about a complete lack of fleet battles in 7-9.

A lot of fan service, a lot of which was done poorly.

There were some positives, the music scores was good, Pryde was solid (had to be after they butchered Hux’s character), Ian McDiamrd brought good energy as the main villain and the force healing and Palpatine’s force storm stuff was actually a good call back to the old EU.

I feel horrible to say this, but I’m just overwhelming disappointed by the new trilogy.

I just feel really hollow and absolutely robbed; coming from a person who has devoted a decent part of my life to to such a unique and rich universe, to have watched this joke of a new trilogy has left my actually angry. This is a new thing for me, as I have never left a movie theatre, or watched a full movie, with feelings of absolute anger.

I’ll be called a hater, which maybe fair, it might not be. My criticisms don’t stem from hatred, just disappointment and a logic that has guided the franchise since 1977.

And this comes from a person who finds ways to defend the prequels.

Last edited:
Just watched it, most of are my thoughts are similar to what I’ve uttered in earlier posts.

Better than Johnson’s mess, but a lot unexplained stuff and a whole heap of ‘good guys’ plot armour that had my non-SW fan brother shaking his head. He was angrier than I was, particularly about the last ‘battle’. Really disappointed about a complete lack of fleet battles in 7-9.

A lot of fan service, a lot of which was done poorly.

There were some positives, the music scores was good, Pryde was solid (had to be after they butchered Hux’s character), Ian McDiamrd brought good energy as the main villain and the force healing and Palpatine’s force storm stuff was actually a good call back to the old EU.

I feel horrible to say this, but I’m just overwhelming disappointed by the new trilogy.

I just feel really hollow and absolutely robbed; coming from a person who has devoted a decent part of my life to to such a unique and rich universe, to have watched this joke of a new trilogy has left my actually angry. This is a new thing for me, as I have never left a movie theatre, or watched a full movie, with feelings of absolute anger.

I’ll be called a hater, which maybe fair, it might not be. My criticisms don’t stem from hatred, just disappointment and a logic that has guided the franchise since 1977.

And this comes from a person who finds ways to defend the prequels.

Nah I get it.

I nothing the sequel trilogy. It was fan service and retelling old stories followed by butchering and misdirection followed by cram it in and wrap it up.

But it's done.

Roll on non Skywalker content.

That saga is dead.

Give me something from -1000bby.

Give me Holocrons.

Give me new stories within the bounds of the universe.

I've come to realise that Star Wars fans (generally speaking) are a very miserable bunch. The cinema I saw this in applauded at the end of the film. Clearly none of the BF brethren were there that night. I loved this film and I have loved the Star Wars films all my life, though only 5 when the first one came out. Yes I suffered some grievous bodily harm like most with Episodes 1-3, with haunting memories of Jar Jar Binks however even with that trilogy I think I will re-visit one day.

The problem is, is that everybody is looking for some kind of perfection which I'm afraid to say is not going to happen. Every new film has such impossibly high expectations set that you're all going to walk out of there being haters. TROS had just about everything you'd want in a Star Wars film because that's what it is, it's a Star Wars film. It's not The Godfather, it's not Bladerunner 2049, it's not Ex-Machina or Aliens (just a random bunch of films that come to mind sorry). It's actually just meant to be an exhilarating ride through a familiar far-away universe with some action, some twists and turns, good pitted against bad and lot's of colourful, familiar characters that are part of our nostalgic past. They'll never live up to the memories of the first time we saw a Storm Trooper or a light saber or the moons of Tatooine. Anyway I loved this film.

I've come to realise that Star Wars fans (generally speaking) are a very miserable bunch. The cinema I saw this in applauded at the end of the film. Clearly none of the BF brethren were there that night. I loved this film and I have loved the Star Wars films all my life, though only 5 when the first one came out. Yes I suffered some grievous bodily harm like most with Episodes 1-3, with haunting memories of Jar Jar Binks however even with that trilogy I think I will re-visit one day.

I say this with the upmost respect, but isn't it a tad hypocritical to say SW fans are miserable for disliking this trilogy while executing some grand hyperbole about the prequels?

If you enjoyed these movies, that's awesome. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean you can't. If there's one thing in the world people should happily disagree on - its entertainment.

Personally, as movies that were consistent with the tone and mythology of the preceding 6 films they weren't. That would have been acceptable if they weren't anchored down by the corporate decision to include the OT characters in the manner they did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back