Movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens - *Spoilers & Rumours inside*

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Who the **** cares if the films did well financial, it's the products that us the fans will judge. Unless you have stocks in Disney I don't see why finical success would even rate a mention.
Because thats what will cause/allow sequels and "stories" to be told.

Which is great.

More people seem to like it than dont as well. Otherwise it wouldnt make money, justice league shows the "name" doesnt mean automatic billions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Who the **** cares if the films did well financial, it's the products that us the fans will judge. Unless you have stocks in Disney I don't see why finical success would even rate a mention.
Because he said this would be the beginning of the end of Star Wars. Films that make $220m in their opening weekend don't just fade away. As for the judgements, well they are coming in great from fans and critics. Not everyone has to like it but everyone has to accept that plenty of people do.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
How come money is an acceptable measure of a films quality but when I point out AC/DC has the highest selling rock album that will ever be made I'm met with mockery and derision towards their music?

Is it a different standard?

Like in comparison, everyone else's favourite band sucks and you guys have no taste.

Sent from mTalk

I thought this thread was about TFA, not TPM.

Ironically despite not grossing well TPM catapulted SW back into the public's conscious and the various franchises that followed around the Clone Wars, New Jedi Order and video games made Star Wars more popular amongst new generations.

Whilst kids love the new movies, the other media are really lagging behind in quality.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
How come money is an acceptable measure of a films quality but when I point out AC/DC has the highest selling rock album that will ever be made I'm met with mockery and derision towards their music?

Is it a different standard?

Like in comparison, everyone else's favourite band sucks and you guys have no taste.

Sent from mTalk
It's not an acceptable measure of quality, but it's an acceptable measure of whether a film (or band) will hang around. The quality is measured by the reviews.

Endless postitive reviews?

Write up by professional paid critics , look at the fan reviews they tell a different story ...oh but they all must be trolls :rolleyes:

There’s a clear disparity between the two
So, what, the critics are being paid off? Stop being ridiculous. Fan polls that are not open to manipulation are very, very positive. ComScore and CinemaTrak have almost unanimously positive reviews.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So, what, the critics are being paid off? Stop being ridiculous. Fan polls that are not open to manipulation are very, very positive. ComScore and CinemaTrak have almost unanimously positive reviews.

Yep, must be some effort by Disney lol - 86 on Metacritic wth 51 positive reviews, 3 mixed, 0 negative.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The only reason it seems like people are divided about TLJ is because there's a split among the hardcore fans and they're the ones who go online and talk about Star Wars a lot. My dad knows a hardcore fan who was disappointed in it but every other friend of that guy loved it. Furthermore, it's entirely possible that a hardcore fan pleasing Star Wars movie might actually end up being shitty and cheesy. I mean, I would loved to have seen a Luke vs. Snoke fight in TLJ, but I'm not sure where that would've served the narrative in the context of the films direction.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Ironically despite not grossing well TPM catapulted SW back into the public's conscious and the various franchises that followed around the Clone Wars, New Jedi Order and video games made Star Wars more popular amongst new generations.

Whilst kids love the new movies, the other media are really lagging behind in quality.

Not grossing well? It was the second biggest movie of the decade behind Titanic, which took the record for biggest ever at the time, in a time before over half a billion wasn't considered a flop...

Sent from mTalk

Not grossing well? It was the second biggest movie of the decade behind Titanic, which took the record for biggest ever at the time, in a time before over half a billion wasn't considered a flop...

Sent from mTalk

I guess I meant relatively speaking, but yes adjusted for inflation it did do well.

Aug 20, 2010
The Netherrealm
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Bayern, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Battlefront II was nice but it's nothing on Jedi Outcast... That game!

Sent from mTalk
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight III: Jedi Acadamy are all brilliant games, I bought them all on Steam recently

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
Having a go at the fans who have supported the franchise for the last 30 odd years might have an effect on the numbers for the IX.

Then again it might not , but if the anger is really there these fans may not turn up.
Star Wars fans have been treated like crap for decades. Hell, we can’t even have the original movies we fell in love with given the release they deserve (though one hopes that may change now with Disney’s purchase of 21st Cenury Fox).

We still turn up and pay our monies.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Star Wars fans have been treated like crap for decades. Hell, we can’t even have the original movies we fell in love with given the release they deserve (though one hopes that may change now with Disney’s purchase of 21st Cenury Fox).

We still turn up and pay our monies.

But they were re-released by Lucasfilm not too long ago, the blu-ray boxset.

But they were re-released by Lucasfilm not too long ago, the blu-ray boxset.

He means the original releases without the SE additions from the 90s AND the changes post prequel trilogy (eg adding the noooooo from Vader in ROTJ).

They did include original prints from the second release of the OT on dvd (1 disc was the SE, the other original). But the die hards still complained LOL.

Back