Star Wars Star Wars: The Last Jedi - THREAD PART 2 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS*

Remove this Banner Ad

So it's not new tech, it's just a faster program for sorting the destination points that previous ships were able to sift through.

Programs don't run faster without increased computational power. So it is new tech - which is what Rose calls it by the way (not a new tactic). It's like saying 'you calculate using this abacus while I calculate using my computer, and we'll see who can do it faster.' She knows about it because she's an engineer and it's obviously been something people have been working on since way back on Skariff.

When they talk about tracking through lightspeed, what they mean is they've been able to calculate where they are going to be while the ships were in lightspeed - hence through - which in the movies seems like a long time but in reality is only the time that it takes for the First Order to show up (around 30 seconds).

It's always been about the time that it took for them to arrive...the fact that they would eventually show up was a given (and it's why they didn't go to their final destination straight away).

Programs don't run faster without increased computational power. So it is new tech - which is what Rose calls it by the way (not a new tactic). It's like saying 'you calculate using this abacus while I calculate using my computer, and we'll see who can do it faster.' She knows about it because she's an engineer and it's obviously been something people have been working on since way back on Skariff.

When they talk about tracking through lightspeed, what they mean is they've been able to calculate where they are going to be while the ships were in lightspeed - hence through - which in the movies seems like a long time but in reality is only the time that it takes for the First Order to show up (around 30 seconds).

It's always been about the time that it took for them to arrive...the fact that they would eventually show up was a given (and it's why they didn't go to their final destination straight away).

Never mind. You're not getting it.

Leia was tracked through lightspeed at the end of rouge 1.

Another great example and just highlights the irony of dropping a hint about Hyperspace tracking in that film only for Vader to instantly trace Leia to Tatooine.

Well maybe that's rogue ones fault, a movie that was jammed into the continuity and probably written while tlj was well underway.

Eh, it was pretty apparent from ANH that Vader had followed the Rebels pretty soon after they intercepted the transmissions, or else the Rebels wouldn't be so unprepared for how to escape with the plans. It sets the scene of a pretty quick chase. Even the crawl suggests that the events happen pretty quickly.

Well maybe that's rogue ones fault, a movie that was jammed into the continuity and probably written while tlj was well underway.

It’s cause the Tantive IV went straight to Tattooine without making a secondary jump. And because Tattooine is so close to Scarif - it was very easy to find them:

EAD156FB-7FBB-424E-9407-E95142E4663A.jpeg

Forget the blue dots - they don’t exist - that’s EU bullshit.

It’s cause the Tantive IV went straight to Tattooine without making a secondary jump. And because Tattooine is so close to Scarif - it was very easy to find them:

View attachment 596768

Using your own quote, they could have been "halfway across the Galaxy" by now. How did the Empire know they were dropping out at Tatooine? Lucky guess?

View attachment 596768

Also that map is disgusting if that's meant to be accurate. Kamino is meant to be off on the edge of the Galaxy as evidenced by AOTC, and it makes no sense for it to be so close to Scarif which is an Imperial hub, nor Tatooine which "If there's a bright spot at the centre of the Universe you're on the planet it's furthest from" .. except for all these populated, important worlds.

I vaguely recall reading/hearing that Hyperspace jumps left a temporary trail that could be followed if close/quick enough - finding the entry point provides some potential exit points.

(Could also be from another Sci-Fi series I have misappropriated).

I find it confusing/amusing that Princess Leia was arguing they were on a "diplomatic mission" in ANH when clearly only minutes from the R1 battlefront encounter.

I vaguely recall reading/hearing that Hyperspace jumps left a temporary trail that could be followed if close/quick enough - finding the entry point provides some potential exit points.

I find it confusing/amusing that Princess Leia was arguing they were on a "diplomatic mission" in ANH when clearly only minutes from the R1 battlefront encounter.

The context of the chase in R1/ANH to TLJ is the same. Ship jumps from battle, is immediately caught. Leia is at both but is surprised in both.

What do you expect Leia to do? Tell the truth?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also that map is disgusting if that's meant to be accurate. Kamino is meant to be off on the edge of the Galaxy as evidenced by AOTC, and it makes no sense for it to be so close to Scarif which is an Imperial hub, nor Tatooine which "If there's a bright spot at the centre of the Universe you're on the planet it's furthest from" .. except for all these populated, important worlds.

You know that Scarif is a black site Imperial weapons development centre, yes? And that Kamino has been wiped off the map in AOTC? No one knew what either of them was until it was explained how important they were.

Tattooine is obviously a smuggling port and is ruled by the Hutts. It’s not important at all.

Using your own quote, they could have been "halfway across the Galaxy" by now. How did the Empire know they were dropping out at Tatooine? Lucky guess?

Cause there was a big planet in the way of the direction of their jump?

Cause there was a big planet in the way of the direction of their jump?

Big planet? Tatooine is a literal backwater of no significance.

You know that Scarif is a black site Imperial weapons development centre, yes? And that Kamino has been wiped off the map in AOTC? No one knew what either of them was until it was explained how important they were.

Tattooine is obviously a smuggling port and is ruled by the Hutts. It’s not important at all.

You do know Obi-Wan actually points at the map, yes?

Hell, I don't even know where your map comes from, I can't see any such official map putting those planets in those spots. Your "the blue dots are EU" would suggest it's an old map..

Eh, it was pretty apparent from ANH that Vader had followed the Rebels pretty soon after they intercepted the transmissions, or else the Rebels wouldn't be so unprepared for how to escape with the plans. It sets the scene of a pretty quick chase. Even the crawl suggests that the events happen pretty quickly.
Except that in empire the falcon escapes star destroyers by jumping to light speed at one point.

Ignoring implies things, seeing as things being implied isn't good enough for TLJ, the idea of tracking through light speed without a homing device doesn't exist until TLJ. Rogue one is the odd one out which ruins the continuity, which isn't unexpected since it was just a spinoff that ties into the main story and was jammed into the timeline quite late.

Except that in empire the falcon escapes star destroyers by jumping to light speed at one point.

Ignoring implies things, seeing as things being implied isn't good enough for TLJ, the idea of tracking through light speed without a homing device doesn't exist until TLJ. Rogue one is the odd one out which ruins the continuity, which isn't unexpected since it was just a spinoff that ties into the main story and was jammed into the timeline quite late.
So instead being surprised that they were tracked Leia should just assume there is a homing device attached on their ship in TLJ.

Yes and..? I'm not quite sure where you're going with that point.

Rogue One isn't the odd one out, ANH literally shows Darth Vader's Star Destroyer closing in on Leia having chased her from where she intercepted the plans.

Big planet? Tatooine is a literal backwater of no significance.

The physical size of the planet in comparison to the ship means that they would have died if they kept going on the same trajectory in lightspeed.

You do know Obi-Wan actually points at the map, yes?

Hell, I don't even know where your map comes from, I can't see any such official map putting those planets in those spots.

Obi-Wan says that the planet Kamino should be at a certain location based on what his friend had told him, but it wasn’t on the map. Then Yoda explains that he needs to go to where the gravity signature says it would be, and he will find it. Kamino was deleted out of the archives memory. If you weren’t looking for it, you’d never find it.

And the map is an online version of data taken from Star Wars: The Essential Atlas. It’s accurate.

The physical size of the planet in comparison to the ship means that they would have died if they kept going on the same trajectory in lightspeed.

So what if they had left Hyperspace before the Tatooine system? How did they calculate that quickly that that was the precise route they were taking?

It's amazing the hand waving you're doing for the incident in ANH rather than just taking your fingers out of your ears and admitting there was a flaw in the premise of TLJ.

Obi-Wan says that the planet Kamino should be at a certain location based on what his friend had told him, but it wasn’t on the map. Then Yoda explains that he needs to go to where the gravity signature says it would be, and he will find it. Kamino was deleted out of the archives memory. If you weren’t looking for it, you’d never find it.

And the map is an online version of data taken from Star Wars: The Essential Atlas. It’s accurate.

Odd that it has EU planets then, hey? Kinda suggests it's inaccurate.

So what if they had left Hyperspace before the Tatooine system? How did they calculate that quickly that that was the precise route they were taking?

It's amazing the hand waving you're doing for the incident in ANH rather than just taking your fingers out of your ears and admitting there was a flaw in the premise of TLJ.

How? They have computers. Tracking trajectory and potential destinations wouldn’t have been hard in this instance, because of the short distance involved.

It was, however, difficult for the First Order to track the Resistance to a point in open space. The only reason they found them was because it was an old Rebel Alliance rendezvous point and it was listed in the machine learning algorithm.

You think the SW Story Group wouldn’t consider these things before they gave the green light to what Johnson had planned?

Odd that it has EU planets then, hey? Kinda suggests it's inaccurate.

Star Wars separated Canon planets from Legends planets...but they still give them appropriate coordinates on the map.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back