Star Wars Star Wars: The Last Jedi - THREAD PART 2 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS*

Remove this Banner Ad

Read an article arguing they rushed the Star Wars movies. Maybe they should've done TFA (December 2015), Rogue One (May 2017), The Last Jedi (December 2018), Kenobi (May 2020), Ep IX (December 2021).

If only they had a time machine and could address the weaknesses of the films, throwing out the scripts entirely if they had to. Even Rogue One, as good as I think it is, did not satisfy many people in its first two acts.

No matter what people think of TFA to me that felt like a Star Wars film.

JJ did a great job at setting up the next film but Kathleen and her 'force is female' polictal driven agenda got in the way of Star Wars.

Also JJ was not happy with Disney throwing away his scripts and story outline for episodes 8 and 9. tbh I'm surpised JJ even came back because from all reports he was pissed.

JJ did a great job at setting up the next film but Kathleen and her 'force is female' polictal driven agenda got in the way of Star Wars.

Also JJ was not happy with Disney throwing away his scripts and story outline for episodes 8 and 9. tbh I'm surpised JJ even came back because from all reports he was pissed.
JJ’s setups were vague and could have lead anywhere. It’s unfortunate that they went nowhere but he should have done a better job of putting them in motion in TFA.

And of course it felt like a Star Wars movie it when it copied one exactly.

JJ’s setups were vague and could have lead anywhere. It’s unfortunate that they went nowhere but he should have done a better job of putting them in motion in TFA.

That is true but one thing for sure is that JJ wouldn't make Luke drink alien milk,throw his lightsaber away like garbage,poking fun at the force and training etc,etc.

It's almost like Rian Johnson did the comeplete opposite of what every one was expecting you don't treat your fans like that RJ reuined Star Wars

Last edited:

That is true but one thing for sure is that JJ wouldn't make Luke drink alien milk,throw his lightsaber away like garbage,poking fun at the force and training etc,etc.

It's almost like Rian Johnson did the comeplete opposite of what every one was expecting you don't treat your fans like that RJ reuined Star Wars
That’s fair, he’s not as bad RJ. But I still don’t think he should have directed TFA.

To be fair, I think that's exactly what his intentions/instructions were.

His other movies have been standalone affairs, haven't had to be seated into an existing universe. TLJ is kinda like Scream was - so contrived and forced into subversive outcomes that it almost seems as if it was self-aware.

Perhaps the fact JJ is coming back suggests all those rumours he was pissed at RJ and TLJ are just that: rumours.

Could have just said "so it appears that I am NOT..... THE LAST JEDI) to conclude VII :p.

To be fair, I think that's exactly what his intentions/instructions were.

His other movies have been standalone affairs, haven't had to be seated into an existing universe. TLJ is kinda like Scream was - so contrived and forced into subversive outcomes that it almost seems as if it was self-aware.

Look I was happy for Rian to try something diffrent and new with TLJ but he complelty shat on the legacy characters and Star Wars lore fans will never forgive him for that.

Look I was happy for Rian to try something diffrent and new with TLJ but he complelty shat on the legacy characters and Star Wars lore fans will never forgive him for that.
He didn’t do anything different though, he just copied everything from Empire and Jedi but forgot the context in which made those moments good.

He didn’t do anything different though, he just copied everything from Empire and Jedi but forgot the context in which made those moments good.
He did do some things different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's Schroedinger's director... capable of being anathema to Star Wars and exactly the same all at once.

It's more that the things he did that were the same were done poorly and the things he did different were also poor (in the opinion of those that don't like the film).

It's more that the things he did that were the same were done poorly and the things he did different were also poor (in the opinion of those that don't like the film).
I think it's as much that if you don't like the film, other things will irritate you, regardless. A lot of people seem to complain that Crait is similar to Hoth, but it's still a pretty damn fine action sequence. I don't think there's much to hate about the finale, but people still talk it down because of its similarities in appearance.

I think it's as much that if you don't like the film, other things will irritate you, regardless. A lot of people seem to complain that Crait is similar to Hoth, but it's still a pretty damn fine action sequence. I don't think there's much to hate about the finale, but people still talk it down because of its similarities in appearance.

It also rehashed the Death Star 2 sequence don’t forget.

Unfortunately, it didn’t deliver upon its one genuine opportunity to stand out and be unique. I’m referring to Finn destroying the battering ram.

Would’ve been brilliant that way imo. Not being taken down and then listening to Rose saying she loves him.

There's nothing wrong with revisting moments or environments like Hoth v Crait if theyre done well. It's where they weren't done well which makes them stupid. Like taking lines from RoTJ like "i know there's good in him" when that makes no sense in the narrative. Luke has a penchant for redeeming his father because... it's his father and he's dreamed of his parents his whole life. Rey has no reaosn to think there is good in Kylo because he has destroyed the resistance, sliced her friend and killed her parental figure Han.

It's not an earned emotion, doesn't make sense narratively and therefore, by referencing RotJ is basically pissing on the original trilogy.

Looper was a decent film, did Rian Johnson completely forget how moments are earned narratively when make TLJ?

There's nothing wrong with revisting moments or environments like Hoth v Crait if theyre done well. It's where they weren't done well which makes them stupid. Like taking lines from RoTJ like "i know there's good in him" when that makes no sense in the narrative. Luke has a penchant for redeeming his father because... it's his father and he's dreamed of his parents his whole life. Rey has no reaosn to think there is good in Kylo because he has destroyed the resistance, sliced her friend and killed her parental figure Han.

It's not an earned emotion, doesn't make sense narratively and therefore, by referencing RotJ is basically pissing on the original trilogy.

Looper was a decent film, did Rian Johnson completely forget how moments are earned narratively when make TLJ?
Reckon you might have that the other way round; Luke has no reason to think there's good in Vader given he knows absolutely stuff-all about him, he blew up a planet full of innocents (billions of people), chopped off his hand and tried to corrupt him. Other than, 'but hey, he's my dad', there's no good reason for Luke to believe someone who has been full-blown evil for 20 years is redeemable. At least Rey and Kylo shared that connection which may have some emotional resonance as well as just being a communication tool.

Reckon you might have that the other way round; Luke has no reason to think there's good in Vader given he knows absolutely stuff-all about him, he blew up a planet full of innocents (billions of people), chopped off his hand and tried to corrupt him. Other than, 'but hey, he's my dad', there's no good reason for Luke to believe someone who has been full-blown evil for 20 years is redeemable. At least Rey and Kylo shared that connection which may have some emotional resonance as well as just being a communication tool.
Lol, no point continuing this discussion if that's what you actually think.

Kylo is quite obviously conflicted. And she senses the good after the force connection. Whether the good was a facade by Kylo or Snoke or real there is more than enough basis for Rey to have some sort of hope he could change. I think her inexperience meant she read the emotion wrong and took a conflicted emotion as a motive of good.

It makes perfect sense to have that door open. Whether you like the decision is different.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lol, no point continuing this discussion if that's what you actually think.
Enlighten me then; your argument seems to be 'Vader was his dad and Luke really wanted a dad, so that's a good reason to see good in him, whereas Rey didn't have any good reasons'. I have no issue with Luke wanting to redeem Vader because he is his father and he claimed to have sensed some good in him (just as Rey could have) but let's not pretend there were a long list of hints that Vader was still good (like blowing up Alderaan, torturing Leia, kidnapping Luke's friend and giving him to a bounty hunter, chopping off Luke's hand etc).

Enlighten me then; your argument seems to be 'Vader was his dad and Luke really wanted a dad, so that's a good reason to see good in him, whereas Rey didn't have any good reasons'. I have no issue with Luke wanting to redeem Vader because he is his father and he claimed to have sensed some good in him (just as Rey could have) but let's not pretend there were a long list of hints that Vader was still good (like blowing up Alderaan, torturing Leia, kidnapping Luke's friend and giving him to a bounty hunter, chopping off Luke's hand etc).

He didn’t kill Leia.
He didn’t kill Han.
He didn’t kill Luke.

He was one of the most accomplished Jedi before he lost his s**t, and was corrupted by the Emperor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back