Star Wars Star Wars: The Last Jedi - THREAD PART 2 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS*

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah everyone hated Leia and Han getting together. :rolleyes:

People hated the whole Padme and Anakin romance crap.

People hated the Rose and Finn romance crap.

Leia and Han was very different, they never had whole side stories or scenes dedicated to it. Far more clever and nuanced in how it was shown on the screen.

Leia and Han was very different, they never had whole side stories or scenes dedicated to it. Far more clever and nuanced in how it was shown on the screen.
Personally I think the only difference was that Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher ooze sex appeal and had electric chemistry, overcoming Lucas's clunky dialogue. On paper Rose & Finn isn't too different, but on screen it's a non-starter. As for Padme and Anakin, Lucas's way of depicting the blossoming romance was a bad CGI montage and then Anakin saying he slaughtered children like a nutjob (disclaimer: haven't watched Clone Wars for years).

People hated the issues in AotC with overly lovey scenes. The actual story of their relationship was fine and played an integral part in the prequels.

People hated the issues in AotC with overly lovey scenes. The actual story of their relationship was fine and played an integral part in the prequels.
Ehhhh..... I don't think it really works, firstly because Christensen is poorly directed, and secondly as with pretty much everything with Anakin in AotC Lucas was obsessed with depicting the fall of Anakin so much he forgot to show the peak he fell from. From memory Anakin goes from cringey "grown more beautiful I mean" to a sociopath pretty much straight away and the whole relationship comes across as bizarre, which worked very well in RotS, but I think AotC should have opted for a more standard romantic tone.

Ehhhh..... I don't think it really works, firstly because Christensen is poorly directed, and secondly as with pretty much everything with Anakin in AotC Lucas was obsessed with depicting the fall of Anakin so much he forgot to show the peak he fell from. From memory Anakin goes from cringey "grown more beautiful I mean" to a sociopath pretty much straight away and the whole relationship comes across as bizarre, which worked very well in RotS, but I think AotC should have opted for a more standard romantic tone.

That's my point though. The issue was with AotC not the arc.

And the original question was to point out romantic sub-plots in Star Wars as if they're so rare and not at the heart of the saga.. It wasn't to comment on the quality of them.

Which is why it was in the movie. Imagine the backlash if it was in the film with no purpose moving forward.

A gay relationship has no purpose in a SW movie.

It's Star Wars, their sexuality is irrelevant.

Thats exactly my point. Thankfully SOME people are smart enough to understand and not try to twist it and then call me a bigot etc.

Its like when they made a point to emphasis Lando is pansexual on twitter and in the SOLO film. It just isnt organic to the story whatsoever, forced to literally make a meta point, a focus. Playing too much identity politics and not caring about writing a good story.

another excellent post about this.

eg, rose and finn was so forced there was nothing there between them. and people have torn rose apart for her "saving what you love" moment and kiss that further embarrasses the romance of that. it was a farce.

heres another example of what i mean....sex scenes also do not suit star wars. theres just no reason for it, man/woman even. not because of the "ots a family film" thing, but also because its not game of thrones type of thing. its a matinee type thing, light and fun, adventurous, with a bad guy. errol flynn swinging on a chandelier to save a damsel etc.

You said subplots. Anakin - Padme and Han - Leia aren't subplots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Han and Leia's relationship was absolutely a subplot.

Bizarre stance.

Thats exactly my point. Thankfully SOME people are smart enough to understand and not try to twist it and then call me a bigot etc.

Its like when they made a point to emphasis Lando is pansexual on twitter and in the SOLO film. It just isnt organic to the story whatsoever, forced to literally make a meta point, a focus. Playing too much identity politics and not caring about writing a good story.

They didn't emphasise it. It literally wasn't even mentioned in the film. You're thinking of the joke about the relationship between him and his robot which was all of one scene.

They didn't emphasise it. It literally wasn't even mentioned in the film. You're thinking of the joke about the relationship between him and his robot which was all of one scene.
the girl robot kepy making references to lando, wanting him, etc. it wasnt just one comment, there were several in the film and it just made it stupid, the story, and has since also ruined the Lando character. that one or two or three lines, so unemphasized, yet they still ruined the Lando character

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the girl robot kepy making references to lando, wanting him, etc. it wasnt just one comment, there were several in the film and it just made it stupid, the story, and has since also ruined the Lando character. that one or two or three lines, so unemphasized, yet they still ruined the Lando character

'The girl robot' made one comment in a conversation with Qi'ra.

Watch the film again.

Personally I think the only difference was that Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher ooze sex appeal and had electric chemistry, overcoming Lucas's clunky dialogue. On paper Rose & Finn isn't too different, but on screen it's a non-starter. As for Padme and Anakin, Lucas's way of depicting the blossoming romance was a bad CGI montage and then Anakin saying he slaughtered children like a nutjob (disclaimer: haven't watched Clone Wars for years).
Lucas actually had some decent scenes of them together he just left them out of the movie in favour of the cringe worthy ones for some reason.

Han and Leia are main characters and their romance is very central in the plot in Empire, maybe downgraded a bit in Jedi.

Bizarre stance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Maybe downgraded a bit in Jedi" I can hear the back pedal firing up.

The central plot of the saga is the Rebellion against the Empire and Luke v Vader. All else is derivative of that.

If you see a romantic sub plot and don’t see a problem, but see a gay romantic sub plot, then see a problem, it becomes clearer that your issue is with it being gay. Hell, you compared a gay sub plot to explicit sex scenes, suggesting homosexuality isn’t something good families want to see. The problem is less SJW and more you not moving with the times.

If you see a romantic sub plot and don’t see a problem, but see a gay romantic sub plot, then see a problem, it becomes clearer that your issue is with it being gay. Hell, you compared a gay sub plot to explicit sex scenes, suggesting homosexuality isn’t something good families want to see. The problem is less SJW and more you not moving with the times.
Like SM before you, you're clearly like a roaring drunk who is just throwing haymakers at anything and everything around you, even if they're not even really there, and just ending up faceplanting on the ground from all the swinging.

They hated those story lines because they were s**t.

Love stories, even gay ones, no problems; if they aren’t total s**t.

Precisely this.

We don't need Star Wars to be a romantic comedy or anything, the point is that a gay relationship playing out on screen should be no more outrageous than a straight one.

Precisely this.

We don't need Star Wars to be a romantic comedy or anything, the point is that a gay relationship playing out on screen should be no more outrageous than a straight one.

Maybe not more outrageous but perhaps less enjoyable. I’ve no aversion to gay choices but I would still prefer to see a hereto romance if there has to be one in a Star Wars film.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back