Star Wars Star Wars: The Last Jedi - THREAD PART 2 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS*

Remove this Banner Ad

i will read it.
I read it.

Not a very good article. Doesn't really try to win you over to seeing TLJ in a new light.

That video i posted before is far better at that, i recommend that to view -- even TLJ haters because i really don't think TLJ is straight down the middle a film to completely hate or completely love.

It does a number of things very well, and a number of things very poorly.

It's not a genius film in a film-making or editing sense, and it's not a genius story in terms of writing prowess.

There are a lot of problems in it. But i do appreciate the vision, the attempt at being different. My big regret with TLJ tho is that after promising to kill the past and present a brave outcome, Rian chickened out. The ending pretty much was a big circle, a dog chasing its own tail. Back to square one.

You can either believe all critics are on the take or stupid, or perhaps, you can accept that maybe Star Wars fans have missed something because they didn’t think it was Star Warsy enough.

It was plenty Star Warsy enough.

So was Phantom Menace.

Maybe they are just not good movies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with the TLJ defenders and support videos is literally none of them ever acknowledge it's own inconsistency or undercutting its own themes. They don't talk even bring it up to deny it. They straight up ignore it. It's true head in the sand stuff.

Like, for all the 'original take' and 'different direction' that Last Jedi supposedly has, where are we? Where did we end up? Right back to where we started. Where we finished. The cycle of Star Wars continues without interruption.

The problem with the TLJ defenders and support videos is literally none of them ever acknowledge it's own inconsistency or undercutting its own themes. They don't talk even bring it up to deny it. They straight up ignore it. It's true head in the sand stuff.

The inconsistencies you describe usually aren’t inconsistent, it’s development. Luke coming to terms with his fears of teaching new Jedi (we are what they grow beyond) doesn’t negate the story, it’s him coming to terms with his place in the universe and accepting there is room for Rey to be a Jedi, just different to what he feared. Likewise, he is bitter about the myth of Luke Skywalker and yet walks out to face the whole First Order by himself (you expect me to take on a whole army with my laser sword) to create a new myth to inspire the future.
Like, for all the 'original take' and 'different direction' that Last Jedi supposedly has, where are we? Where did we end up? Right back to where we started. Where we finished. The cycle of Star Wars continues without interruption.

We ended with a blank slate for the future. Unfortunately, I’m well prepared for JJ to walk that back. To deliver a safe ROTJ to RJ’s ESB. It will likely be fun, crowd pleasing but ultimately forgettable. I hope not because then the future of Star Wars is in a kind of pointless place.

There’s a lot to unpack in this article but it hits all the main beats. TLJ is a great movie because it’s actually about people and not just tropes you’ve come to expect from a Star Wars movie’

What sort of moron would suggest Princess Leia flying through space made her more "human" and "relatable".

I've watched videos GG.exe posted that are nowhere near as dumb as this.

The inconsistencies you describe usually aren’t inconsistent, it’s development. Luke coming to terms with his fears of teaching new Jedi (we are what they grow beyond) doesn’t negate the story, it’s him coming to terms with his place in the universe and accepting there is room for Rey to be a Jedi, just different to what he feared. Likewise, he is bitter about the myth of Luke Skywalker and yet walks out to face the whole First Order by himself (you expect me to take on a whole army with my laser sword) to create a new myth to inspire the future.

We ended with a blank slate for the future. Unfortunately, I’m well prepared for JJ to walk that back. To deliver a safe ROTJ to RJ’s ESB. It will likely be fun, crowd pleasing but ultimately forgettable. I hope not because then the future of Star Wars is in a kind of pointless place.

But RJ left Rey as the next Jedi with the Jedi texts, he left it back at good v evil, not the morally grey scene he was painting midway through; the slate wasn't blank, it was reset to just how JJ left it.. by RJ.

It's as good as the movie making Holdo out to be a great captain who saved the rebels when in reality her plan sucked and nearly got everyone killed if it wasn't for Luke. Yet that's never addressed, and everyone just accepts how strong and selfless and brave she is.

But RJ left Rey as the next Jedi with the Jedi texts, he left it back at good v evil, not the morally grey scene he was painting midway through; the slate wasn't blank, it was reset to just how JJ left it.. by RJ.

Jack has a funny definition of blank slate.

'The rebellion is reborn'
'I am not the Last Jedi'

Rian wrote those lines. Nobody else.

TLJ is far more consistent than GG and mootsy :tearsofjoy:

There’s a lot to unpack in this article but it hits all the main beats. TLJ is a great movie because it’s actually about people and not just tropes you’ve come to expect from a Star Wars movie’

Article read like an angry 'Dear Diary' from RJ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's as good as the movie making Holdo out to be a great captain who saved the rebels when in reality her plan sucked and nearly got everyone killed if it wasn't for Luke. Yet that's never addressed, and everyone just accepts how strong and selfless and brave she is.

They could have stayed and fought at D'Qar and the outcome of the film would have been virtually the same.

They could have stayed and fought at D'Qar and the outcome of the film would have been virtually the same.

Could have stayed on Starkiller, just DBZ it up and have it last for a decade until character growth happens.

I mean not even a text line about trillions dead what, a day ago?

The fuel thing never bothered me as much as the just being slightly quicker than FO ships to remain out of distance of the guns, recalling the fighters that were wreaking havoc on the Resistance for no reason, the fact not a single Resistance fighter was shot down by a TIE, and the FO had no smarts to try and hyperdrive to maybe a bit closer to the Resistance ships.
Or just hyperdrive half of their fleet to to intercept the resistance

Things that could have made TLJ better.

Cut Hux-Poe joke at the beginning, blue milk and other similar cringe Marvel'ish moments.
Cut Canto Bight. Have Maz come to Resistance and help get into base.
Cut Holdo. Leia could've played her role + Holdo's and sacrificed herself.
No Mary Poppins Leia.
No Rose. Finn could've played her role + his own.
More Phasma.
Snoke survives, Luke shows up to save her. The ship is attacked, allowing Rey to escape. Kylo escapes but not with Rey. Not seen again after that. Rey goes to Crait before Luke does.
Snoke revealed as Plagueis.
Rey revealed as Palpatine's granddaughter, or maybe save that for IX.
Luke waits for Rey, learns more about prophecy, that every time Plagueis manipulates the Force to cheat death, a new Chosen One is born. Rey is that Chosen One. Luke decides to train Rey.
Knights of Ren show up on island, Luke defeats them. Rey and Kylo battle on island, Kylo knocks her out, takes Rey to Snoke.
Luke survives 8, physically shows up on Crait. Shows up to help Rey bide the Resistance time to survive.

Don't know. A lot of that would've been hard to execute and you could argue it's heavy fan service but it sounds better to me.

Oh well, wasn't to be.

Alternatively, you have Luke still die in 8 against Snoke in a battle on Crait. Have Ben be redeemed on the ship and show up to help the Resistance and in 9 Ben and Rey work together to defeat Snoke. 9 could've had an interesting dynamic of many Resistance members having a hard time working with Ben.

Last edited:
Looking forward to watching TFA and TLJ in the next week. Read a couple of articles today. ‘The Last Jedi didn’t break Star Wars, it saved it’ and The Last Jedi is the only great Star Wars movie’. Good reads.

Sounds like you just drank GG potion, seek a remedy asap!

Things that could have made TLJ better.

Cut Hux-Poe joke at the beginning, blue milk and other similar cringe Marvel'ish moments.
Cut Canto Bight. Have Maz come to Resistance and help get into base.
Cut Holdo. Leia could've played her role + Holdo's and sacrificed herself.
No Mary Poppins Leia.
No Rose. Finn could've played her role + his own.
More Phasma.
Snoke survives, Luke shows up to save her. The ship is attacked, allowing Rey to escape. Kylo escapes but not with Rey. Not seen again after that. Rey goes to Crait before Luke does.
Snoke revealed as Plagueis.
Rey revealed as Palpatine's granddaughter, or maybe save that for IX.
Luke waits for Rey, learns more about prophecy, that every time Plagueis manipulates the Force to cheat death, a new Chosen One is born. Rey is that Chosen One. Luke decides to train Rey.
Knights of Ren show up on island, Luke defeats them. Rey and Kylo battle on island, Kylo knocks her out, takes Rey to Snoke.
Luke survives 8, physically shows up on Crait. Shows up to help Rey bide the Resistance time to survive.

Don't know. A lot of that would've been hard to execute and you could argue it's heavy fan service but it sounds better to me.

Oh well, wasn't to be.

Alternatively, you have Luke still die in 8 against Snoke in a battle on Crait. Have Ben be redeemed on the ship and show up to help the Resistance and in 9 Ben and Rey work together to defeat Snoke. 9 could've had an interesting dynamic of many Resistance members having a hard time working with Ben.

Better than the piece of s**t we got.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back