Star Wars Star Wars: The Last Jedi - THREAD PART 2 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS*

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously? On the first point, did you expect Luke to survive the trilogy when it was clearly made as a passing of the torch? On the second, that really plays into 'muh Luke', which people have spent plenty of time denying.

Of course I didn't expect him to survive. I got exactly what I expected. He left bugger all mark on the plot and events of the trilogy and died after doing nothing.

It was the safest move for the new mob to make and I was saying it for years.

There's no muh Luke about. They want him gone and they managed to do it in way that appeals to the ' it's better than nothing /ain't a prequel' fan you represent.

No.

No new Star Wars would have been better than this. Killing the hero that pinned the six movie arc together off by exhaustion then glossing over it to shoehorn in the rest ft Leia (girl power) is not a good move.

Sent from mTalk

Finally watched this for the second time to see if I'd missed anything first time around and if like many films the second viewing is better than the first.

As it happens the second viewing of this film made it seem worse. So much so I'd never have any desire to watch it ever again.

If this film was a colour it would be beige.

Of course I didn't expect him to survive. I got exactly what I expected. He left bugger all mark on the plot and events of the trilogy and died after doing nothing.

It was the safest move for the new mob to make and I was saying it for years.

There's no muh Luke about. They want him gone and they managed to do it in way that appeals to the ' it's better than nothing /ain't a prequel' fan you represent.

No.

No new Star Wars would have been better than this. Killing the hero that pinned the six movie arc together off by exhaustion then glossing over it to shoehorn in the rest ft Leia (girl power) is not a good move.

Sent from mTalk
I think a very important thing to note is that Luke didn't really eave no mark on the plot, TLJ actually places him at the very centre of the plot of the whole trilogy. His choice is ultimately what turned Kylo, and Kylo turning is what places the entire series in the position it is in now. However, all of this happens offscreen and Luke's onscreentime is limited to sidelined mentor.

I wouldn't have minded Luke being like Yoda and Obi-Wan in the OT, providing guidance for Rey but ultimately being a non-entity in the larger plot with little to no interaction with the rest of the films world. Good way to sendoff the character, without stealing the new crews thunder, but RJ tries to have it both ways, making him a central character whose development is a pivotal point of the most significant moment of the overarching plot, but without devoting any time to exploring that moment or the character.

Interestingly, I was at a Star Wars quiz night the other night. All fans of the series, obviously. Of our seven, one really disliked it, one was ambivalent and five really liked it. Small sample size but I do think the divisive nature of the film is overplayed by some louder voices.

So this is going to be a first...

I have not seen TLJ yet. I have watched countless reviews, followed the majority of this thread. Read through all the trash, watched the making of..
I have never been in this situation before where I have been so awash with other peoples opinions and bias. I feel I am going into this movie with a clear mind. Watch it for what it is...

FTR I also grew up on star wars and enjoy reading about the lore and all that stuff. Ill let you know how I go...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly, I was at a Star Wars quiz night the other night. All fans of the series, obviously. Of our seven, one really disliked it, one was ambivalent and five really liked it. Small sample size but I do think the divisive nature of the film is overplayed by some louder voices.

It is. TLJ is nowhere near prequel level as much as people complain about it being maligned.

Sooks, in other words.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:
We are all wrong and you are right

Same old same old

Ps all those guys are damaged and fragile fans from the PT doing that thing where they simply won't accept another poor Star Wars saga movie.

Sent from mTalk

Alright fellas here it is, decided to use MediaFire. The file is 1.29GB. I actually enjoyed making this, as it confirmed what I liked about the movie. There's one bit of black screen where I didn't join two clips together properly. It got tricky after Crait because there were a lot of quick cuts to Leia, and you should be able to tell where I made edits as the soundtrack changes are obvious.

Anyway here's something to watch over the weekend, hope you enjoy it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mmd3lpkqcnx79cn/SW.mp4
Downloading. Interested to see a regular punters take on editing. I find it interesting myself. Just got no idea lol

I guess i get it. I was not a big fan of TFA and i guess my doubts were proven. Luke Skywalker had me glued to the screen (coincidentally like the joker in The Dark Night). Mark Hamill nailed it. The humour was ok in parts.
The thing I did was switch off and focus only on the film. And as a flick...I'd give it a

6ish? What a wasted opportunity. Luke Skywalker would have been so much more interesting a character. The new faces fall flat. Ish

The Facebook Star Wars page advertising the release of the TLJ DVD is full of bad reviews but according to Jack it’s only a small section of fans that hate the film

There is certainly an immature mob mentality to the hating on the TLJ though, quite a percentage of people just like hopping on the train because it's trendy to hate on TLJ. That's certainly the case on social media, people just following what there friends say as opposed to having a reasoned opinion from analysing the film thoroughly and having an independent opinion instead.

Subjectively it's a good film and the reviews for it were mostly positive by seasoned movie critiques, critics that have been reviewing films for a long time.

certainly the story doesn't explain some things, but even if you disagree with the way Luke's story went, it doesn't make it wrong at all, you just didn't like it personally.

I think most of the hate is just disagreeing with what you wanted from the film.

I like that TLJ is different and unique in the star wars landscape.

I like the way Rian explains his inspiration from Empire Strikes Back in TLJ on the special features, his philosophy is very interesting and somewhat commendable for not doing the expected, which is exactly what you got in the force awakens, an expected star wars film that tries to please everyone in the most cliched ways imaginable. That makes TFA a good film, but TLJ doesn't need to tread the same waters.

Lastly, it is just popcorn entertainment, just like Masters of the Universe, just like Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Harry Potter, it's a hollywood film, entertainment, thats's all it is and all it ever has been, even when Georgey boy was making it.

Last edited:

I like the way Rian explains his inspiration from Empire Strikes Back in TLJ on the special features, his philosophy is very interesting and somewhat commendable for not doing the expected, which is exactly what you got in the force awakens, an expected star wars film that tries to please everyone in the most cliched ways imaginable. That makes TFA a good film, but TLJ doesn't need to tread the same waters.

Ffs, HE DID EXACTLY WHAT WAS EXPECTED

Sent from mTalk

There is certainly an immature mob mentality to the hating on the TLJ though, quite a percentage of people just like hopping on the train because it's trendy to hate on TLJ. That's certainly the case on social media, people just following what there friends say as opposed to having a reasoned opinion from analysing the film thoroughly and having an independent opinion instead.

Subjectively it's a good film and the reviews for it were mostly positive by seasoned movie critiques, critics that have been reviewing films for a long time.

certainly the story doesn't explain some things, but even if you disagree with the way Luke's story went, it doesn't make it wrong at all, you just didn't like it personally.

I think most of the hate is just disagreeing with what you wanted from the film.

Lastly, it is just popcorn entertainment, just like Masters of the Universe, just like Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Harry Potter, it's a hollywood film, entertainment, thats's all it is and all it ever has been, even when Georgey boy was making it.

While some of what you say is true. It's an anecdotal argument to choose whose comments you wish to engage with, and whose yiu wish to avoid addressing, and it is reductive to pigeon hole all issues as simply being opinions.

If you only wish to engage with the "immature" posters you'll never really engage with the underlying problems.

This is the state of play, though. Substantiated arguments are ignored, or countered as mere opinions. Then positive opinions are matched against negative opions via tje use of falsely equivalent argumrnts, and then confirmation bias wins out.

Ie. I don't agree with your opinion. I prefer my opinion. My opinion wins.

There's a lot of ways to aporoach debate logically. One of the great fallacies of non-logic is to use popularity of opinion as an argument.

This has been a refuge for those who like the film for a while now. Arguments like
- Look at the box office take.
- Listen to what the majority of my friends say. - I believe with no evidence there is only a small minority who dislike the film

Plenty of reasoned objections have been raised over tbe preceding months. These are always ignored.

While there is some comfort in attacking idiots, and then lumping all objectors into the same category as the idiots. Facts don't change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back