Star Wars Star Wars: The Last Jedi - THREAD PART 2 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS*

Remove this Banner Ad

Just another person comparing TLJ to the originals and forgetting the context on why they work in OT but why they don’t work in the ST.

I don't think that's fair to what he's suggesting. I think it's quite an interesting and compelling argument. I know at the time I didn't have a massive problem with Luke's portrayal in TLJ.

My comment to that video in that video's comment section....

---------

Rian Johnson's Luke Skywalker is a pig. You can put lipstick on it and dress it up, but it's still a pig. You are so wrong in your commentary about Luke in this video.

The one part of the video I hadn't even thought of before was Luke throwing the saber away mirroring his throwing the saber away in ROTJ in a similar refusal to fight. I do think though that RJ leaned way too heavily on the humour, which the video even calls out.

The one part of the video I hadn't even thought of before was Luke throwing the saber away mirroring his throwing the saber away in ROTJ in a similar refusal to fight. I do think though that RJ leaned way too heavily on the humour, which the video even calls out.
Agree there. If you took the attempted spoof humor out of that scene, it would at least resemble the same meaning behind the ROTJ lightsaber throwing down.

But there's still other problems with the Luke depiction in TLJ. It's not one or two things, there's a number of them.

Agree there. If you took the attempted spoof humor out of that scene, it would at least resemble the same meaning behind the ROTJ lightsaber throwing down.

But there's still other problems with the Luke depiction in TLJ. It's not one or two things, there's a number of them.

And that's fine. I think Janus (?) probably hit closest to the truth.

TLJ is not a good movie. It's also not the worst thing ever. But the things it got wrong were bad enough that it made those that didn't like it, hate it.

I really don't think there's much more to add though.

I can picture the day they shot that scene.

Script says....Luke inspects lightsaber, draws in a deep breath, and contemplates Rey for a few moments....then Luke throws lightsaber away.

Hamill objects, Rian insists. Hamill reluctantly goes ahead, does the same ROTJ-like side-arm throw. Rian says "cut, do it again".
Hamill runs a few different throwing away motions. Rian says "cut" each time.
Finally, Rian says to him, no do it more glibly, over your shoulder.
Hamill does it.....Rian is heard snorting and giggling....."that's perfect, can it"
Hamill, Rey and crew look at each other and roll their eyes as RIan trudges off to the next scene marker.

I don't think that's fair to what he's suggesting. I think it's quite an interesting and compelling argument. I know at the time I didn't have a massive problem with Luke's portrayal in TLJ.
I think that’s quite fair, I think pretty much every time where he used the moment of weakness quote he ignores context.

I still don't. My problem is how he got there and how he goes out, along with the inconsistency between that and TFA.

Sent from mTalk

Probably a stupid question but why was the choice made to have three different directors for the new trilogy? Continuity is the first casualty in such an approach. One would think you would want a consistent vision in the "reboot" of the franchise.
Because Kathleen Kennedy is a campaigner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a stupid question but why was the choice made to have three different directors for the new trilogy? Continuity is the first casualty in such an approach. One would think you would want a consistent vision in the "reboot" of the franchise.

And then allow the second director to ignore the first and go off and do their own thing.

Sheer ******* stupidity.

Not a stupid question at all.

You know another trilogy that had three different directors? The original Star Wars trilogy.

I do believe there were creative reasons, such as different views offering more creativity, but a key reason is that it’s difficult to get a director to commit up to seven or eight years to one project.

You know another trilogy that had three different directors? The original Star Wars trilogy.

I do believe there were creative reasons, such as different views offering more creativity, but a key reason is that it’s difficult to get a director to commit up to seven or eight years to one project.
That's very different, given George Lucas was the prime mover, creator, wrote the story treatments, storyboards, synopsis, and character details, as a unified vision.

That's very different, given George Lucas was the prime mover, creator, wrote the story treatments, storyboards, synopsis, and character details, as a unified vision.
You’re underselling both the screenwriters and the directors there. Of course the guiding voice was Lucas but the details were definitely filled in by others. Here, Lucasfilm was to provide the guiding voice.

You’re underselling both the screenwriters and the directors there. Of course the guiding voice was Lucas but the details were definitely filled in by others. Here, Lucasfilm was to provide the guiding voice.
Lucasfilm spent most of the time in the ST advising everyone about canon/continuity, what they can and can't do.
There's already a ton of documented evidence, interviews with actors, Abrams himself, etc.....where Abrams had a three part treatment set out, which Treverrow was also following, but Rian Johnson had a tanty wanting to do things as he wanted, going against the very script/story-treatment Abrams had established (to be the guiding light).

All blame on Kennedy pulling rank on Abrams and giving Rian the freedom/ok to throw a spanner in that.

Lucasfilm spent most of the time in the ST advising everyone about canon/continuity, what they can and can't do.
There's already a ton of documented evidence, interviews with actors, Abrams himself, etc.....where Abrams had a three part treatment set out, which Treverrow was also following, but Rian Johnson had a tanty wanting to do things as he wanted, going against the very script/story-treatment Abrams had established (to be the guiding light).

All blame on Kennedy pulling rank on Abrams and giving Rian the freedom/ok to throw a spanner in that.
JJ wasn’t hired to write a three part treatment though, he was hired to write the first part only. Interviews with RJ make it clear he was hired with the view to writing his own movie based on what he saw in the first. As far as I’m aware, JJ left a few ideas about where he intended to go, that’s not the same as a full treatment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back