Star Wars Star Wars: The Last Jedi - THREAD PART 2 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS*

Remove this Banner Ad

JJ wasn’t hired to write a three part treatment though, he was hired to write the first part only. Interviews with RJ make it clear he was hired with the view to writing his own movie based on what he saw in the first. As far as I’m aware, JJ left a few ideas about where he intended to go, that’s not the same as a full treatment.

I actually found the interview from Daisy Ridley in which this news was based (translated from French, mind you). She did say JJ had written broad brush strokes for VII and IX but that RJ wrote his own movie, using few, of any, of the draft ideas. However, she also said there was a general consensus on the main storyline that they had to adhere to (so something of an overall plan from Lucasfilm) and that each director was indeed hired to write his own film. It was nice of JJ to offer up his ideas but it could also be seen as a bit condescending to the other directors. If they had known they would go back to JJ, maybe they would have been more insistent RJ follow the draft (at which point, he might have left and Trevorrow might have stayed... sliding doors).

They absolutely needed a clear treatment to be stuck to from the one story guy working across all movies with the director and writers.. Bring in different script writers and directors if you like, but the story should have been the same overall arc with events that flow from film to film rather than disjointed events that we got under the guise of 'subversion'.

They absolutely needed a clear treatment to be stuck to from the one story guy working across all movies with the director and writers.. Bring in different script writers and directors if you like, but the story should have been the same overall arc with events that flow from film to film rather than disjointed events that we got under the guise of 'subversion'.
Agree. Particularly with this franchise where lore is so imperative to fans in immersing in the universe.
Knights of Ren. A chilling glimpse of them in TFA. Seem to be pivotal in shaping the events of the new trilogy in that they detail the origins of the relationship between Rey and Kylo.
Now we are coming to the conclusion of the trilogy and we know nothing about them.
Knights of ren? Or Knights of Macguffin?

You’re underselling both the screenwriters and the directors there. Of course the guiding voice was Lucas but the details were definitely filled in by others. Here, Lucasfilm was to provide the guiding voice.
The problem is no one at Lucasfilmn had a clear cut vision for the trilogy and practically let the directors take their own direction.

And I agree that the screenwriters and directors played a big part in realising and polishing up George Lucas’s vision. I’d even add the editing team to that they saved ANH.

The problem is no one at Lucasfilmn had a clear cut vision for the trilogy and practically let the directors take their own direction.

And I agree that the screenwriters and directors played a big part in realising and polishing up George Lucas’s vision. I’d even add the editing team to that they saved ANH.
And the actors. Harrison Ford famously said ‘you may be able to write this shot but we can’t say it’. It was pretty loose on set. You can see the difference in the prequels; too much admiration of Lucas meant know one was prepared to step up and say some things were wrong.

And the actors. Harrison Ford famously said ‘you may be able to write this shot but we can’t say it’. It was pretty loose on set. You can see the difference in the prequels; too much admiration of Lucas meant know one was prepared to step up and say some things were wrong.

That's a bit misattributed and out of context... It's seen as something Ford said regarding shithouse dialogue between characters interacting ala what happened in the prequels, but it was actually regarding science fiction mumbo jumbo like when Han talks about the Falcon, which none of the audience actually have issues with.

Sent from mTalk

That's a bit misattributed and out of context... It's seen as something Ford said regarding shithouse dialogue between characters interacting ala what happened in the prequels, but it was actually regarding science fiction mumbo jumbo like when Han talks about the Falcon, which none of the audience actually have issues with.

Sent from mTalk
It was definitely related to dialogue as well. It was his decision to add ‘I know’ after Leia said she loved him. The script had him saying ‘I love you too’. Alec Guinness also ad libbed plenty too.

You know another trilogy that had three different directors? The original Star Wars trilogy.

I do believe there were creative reasons, such as different views offering more creativity, but a key reason is that it’s difficult to get a director to commit up to seven or eight years to one project.

I think you'll find George Lucas essentially directed ROTJ and was heavily involved in the treatment and production of TESB.

It was definitely related to dialogue as well. It was his decision to add ‘I know’ after Leia said she loved him. The script had him saying ‘I love you too’. Alec Guinness also ad libbed plenty too.

No it was definitely Ford talking about the technobabble.

It's widely accepted Lucas was crap at dialogue, even by himself, though, so not sure what's being debated.

I heard somewhere that ewoks were his idea so yeah...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read an article arguing they rushed the Star Wars movies. Maybe they should've done TFA (December 2015), Rogue One (May 2017), The Last Jedi (December 2018), Kenobi (May 2020), Ep IX (December 2021).

If only they had a time machine and could address the weaknesses of the films, throwing out the scripts entirely if they had to. Even Rogue One, as good as I think it is, did not satisfy many people in its first two acts.

May 2023 - Anthology movie, December 2024 (new trilogy part 1), May 2026 (anthology), December 2027 (new trilogy p2), May 2029 (anthology), December 2030 (new trilogy p3), May 2032 (anthology), December 2033 (Ep X). Rey, Finn etc wouldn't be too old for that.

Read an article arguing they rushed the Star Wars movies. Maybe they should've done TFA (December 2015), Rogue One (May 2017), The Last Jedi (December 2018), Kenobi (May 2020), Ep IX (December 2021).

If only they had a time machine and could address the weaknesses of the films, throwing out the scripts entirely if they had to. Even Rogue One, as good as I think it is, did not satisfy many people in its first two acts.

Wouldn’t have mattered - the leadership is the issue.

Come home from work and the missus is watching The Last Jedi with the baby... Surely grounds for separation and sole custody for me?

Sent from mTalk

My guess is the little one was taking a while to get to sleep, which TLJ can sort out very quickly. Watching those bombers at the start take half an hour to crawl into position will fix any sleep issue very quickly :D

The abuse of existing characters is a big reason (for me) why for me TLJ is a truly horrible, potentially franchise-destroying Star Wars film. Change the names and setting, make it a generic sci-fi film and it would probably have worked. Even making it a stand-alone Star Wars movie, remove reference to the known world/characters and it's ok.

The problem is, I already 'know' the characters, I 'know' the world they live in, so when they don't behave as expected, when the strategies are so poorly constructed and "out of character" - we NEED to be told/shown why. The audience should not have to retcon it's knowledge of a character without direction. I feel like RJ simply didn't understand the characters he was working with. He wrote a (IMO weak) story first, without regard for the characters and then shoe-horned the existing characters into the roles needed.

Whilst I initially hated the characterisation of Luke in this film, that was mainly from the conflict with where Luke Skywalker was at the end of VI. How did this happen? It feels like there's a whole movie (or tv series?) - a very dark, depressing film (perhaps the middle movie of a trilogy would have been ideal?), where we see Luke's fall, everything that led to the TLJ Luke.

I can live with the 'shut himself off from the force' thing if it was believable (preferably shown) WHY Luke lost FAITH - it needed far more explanation (Hamill's own mental backstory of a lost wife, lost son, lost students, lost FAITH = shut off from the force is emotionally powerful and perhaps suitable for Luke's depiction in TLJ.)

There's one scene that was filmed (good) and subsequently cut (wtf?) that for me perfectly highlights RJ's complete (or deliberate?!) lack of comprehension. When Rey and Chewie arrive on Arch-To, Luke in his cabin. "Where's Han?" Ten seconds of film that provides an emotional drive to bring Luke back.

We got more exposition about Rose and her sister than about Luke and Han. At least Jar Jar had a purpose to the story. Rose just gets in the way.

This film had so much potential - it went 90% of the way there, then backed out. I almost feel like RJ painted himself into a corner, didn't know how to get out so just "Mcguffined" his way out through illogical or uncharacteristic actions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back