Star Wars Star Wars: The Last Jedi - THREAD PART 2 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS*

Remove this Banner Ad

Except that Clone Wars was almost instantly praised and built a fanbase by expanding in prequel era events and characters.
A niche fan base, any way you spin it. It’s as relevant as a critically acclaimed book from the era. That’s why they canned it shortly after they purchased Lucasfilm.

This is not to say there’s nothing in the PT era that’s salvageable, they wouldn’t be doing an Obi-Wan series otherwise. And the more time that passes, the more they’ll cherry pick the things they like. But it was clear early on that the sequels were going to pretty much ignore the PT.

A niche fan base, any way you spin it. It’s as relevant as a critically acclaimed book from the era. That’s why they canned it shortly after they purchased Lucasfilm.

This is not to say there’s nothing in the PT era that’s salvageable, they wouldn’t be doing an Obi-Wan series otherwise. And the more time that passes, the more they’ll cherry pick the things they like. But it was clear early on that the sequels were going to pretty much ignore the PT.

What a bizarre take. Yes they canned a hugely popular animated show because they didn't think it worked well... and started a popular animated show right on its heels.

What a bizarre take. Yes they canned a hugely popular animated show because they didn't think it worked well... and started a popular animated show right on its heels.
You need to define your terms. I don't consider less than two million viewers by season 3, regularly falling to less than 1.5 million in season 5, hugely popular. Certainly not in the grand scheme of what Disney is trying to achieve. If every single person that watched the pilot of Clone Wars watched The Force Awakens, that would equal less than $100m from a film that made $2b. Timothy Zahn's books are 'hugely popular' in terms of novels, but they would barely be an afterthought in terms of the overall success of the franchise.

You need to define your terms. I don't consider less than two million viewers by season 3, regularly falling to less than 1.5 million in season 5, hugely popular. Certainly not in the grand scheme of what Disney is trying to achieve. If every single person that watched the pilot of Clone Wars watched The Force Awakens, that would equal less than $100m from a film that made $2b. Timothy Zahn's books are 'hugely popular' in terms of novels, but they would barely be an afterthought in terms of the overall success of the franchise.
I mean it was popular enough for them to make a literal sequel series..

You can't judge a show like Clone Wars on ratings. Being, yes, aimed at children, it would likely show at hours inconvenient hours for older viewers, and kids don't regularly sit down to watch shows religiously like adults, especially in modern times of catch up tv.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

You can't judge a show like Clone Wars on ratings. Being, yes, aimed at children, it would likely show at hours inconvenient hours for older viewers, and kids don't regularly sit down to watch shows religiously like adults, especially in modern times of catch up tv.

I agree with this, but it’s a niche product that expands your brand, like the books and comics. It doesn’t drive the franchise and is easily disposable.

I mean it was popular enough for them to make a literal sequel series..
They gave closure to a vocal fan base, it happens.

I agree with this, but it’s a niche product that expands your brand, like the books and comics. It doesn’t drive the franchise and is easily disposable.

Weird when they were the ones to rip the closure away first time.

Weird when they were the ones to rip the closure away first time.

It’s pretty common, they cancel a show for business or economic reasons, it has a small but vocal group of fans that make a lot of noise, so they throw them a bone and let them wrap the show up. Makes them look magnanimous when they cancelled it in the first place. Netflix did it with Sense8 recently, there’d be plenty of examples.

I mean Rebels..

It’s pretty common, they cancel a show for business or economic reasons, it has a small but vocal group of fans that make a lot of noise, so they throw them a bone and let them wrap the show up. Makes them look magnanimous when they cancelled it in the first place. Netflix did it with Sense8 recently, there’d be plenty of examples.

Except Netflix didn't buy Sense8 from someone else and immediately start making cuts before producing any of their own content. The Clone Wars was not a middling exercise, it already had more content in preprodution by Lucasfilm.

Having recently watched through all the films during lockdown, I managed to make my revised rankings of the films. After it, I can come to the conclusion that the prequels are 10x worse than the sequels could ever be.

1. A New Hope
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. The Force Awakens
4. The Last Jedi
5. Rogue One
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Rise of Skywalker
8. Return of the Jedi
9. Solo
10. Attack of the Clones
11. Phantom Menace

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having recently watched through all the films during lockdown, I managed to make my revised rankings of the films. After it, I can come to the conclusion that the prequels are 10x worse than the sequels could ever be.

1. A New Hope
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. The Force Awakens
4. The Last Jedi
5. Rogue One
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Rise of Skywalker
8. Return of the Jedi
9. Solo
10. Attack of the Clones
11. Phantom Menace

How could ROTJ be so low?

emuboy posted a great description for TLJ....specifically how it was INSULTING. I would extend that and say the entire ST was insulting, why it is so bad as a trilogy per se, and why TLJ and TROS individually and as a duo are the worst movies ever made.

This is the perfect one word description for why the ST was awful. No other words, no extensive description is needed. Just "insulting"

I've never seen The Rise of Skywalker, The Last Jedi put me off watching any more Star Wars Films for the rest of my life.

As I've mentioned on other threads, TLJ is one of the rare bad movies where you actually feel insulted by it. I've seen lots of bad movies that were bad for different reasons. Some were comedies simply not funny, romances where the leads lack chemistry, bad sequels and others were just plain boring. But did I feel insulted by them? No. Did I feel insulted by Jack and Jill? No. I did feel insulted by Pearl Harbor, mainly because so much money had been spent on making a movie that was to be an epic historical, war and romance film and failed so badly at all three goals.

I can compare TLJ to this scenario. Let's say I run a catering business, and a Jewish family engages my company to do the catering for a wedding. The requirements for my company are simple enough, none of the guests are Kosher but some foods - pork products and seafood - are not to be served at the buffet for obvious reasons. However, come the wedding day the family find the wedding buffet at the reception loaded up with seafood, as well as cold cuts of ham and pastrami, bacon-wrapped appetizers and mini bacon and egg Quiche Lorraine and roast pork on the carvery. The family are understandably angry and confront me, but I defend my actions as 'subverting their expectations' and respond to their negative assessment of my company by stating that the fault lies with my customers. Is that a good way to run a business? I don't think so.

emuboy posted a great description for TLJ....specifically how it was INSULTING. I would extend that and say the entire ST was insulting, why it is so bad as a trilogy per se, and why TLJ and TROS individually and as a duo are the worst movies ever made.

This is the perfect one word description for why the ST was awful. No other words, no extensive description is needed. Just "insulting"
Genuinely, hilariously stupid analogy :tearsofjoy:

Genuinely, hilariously stupid analogy :tearsofjoy:
It is and it isnt. Still, the important part is the insulting aspect. That is on point as to exactly why so many hated the ST. They would have accepted a different take on things, minimal luke, etc, as long as the ST was respectful and actually written well. But so much of it was downright insulting which is why

Remove this Banner Ad

Back