Movie Star Wars - The Prequels Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

According to Dan26 they are all masterpieces, and if you dislike any part of these movies you are either a 'hater' or part of some 'think-group'

I must of been part of this think-group as soon as I left the cinema in 1999.

Will never forget when Jar Jar stepped in s**t or that thing farted before the podrace. Was like, "oh, its THAT kind of movie".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phantom Menace:
- Darth Maul, Coruscant, Pod Race, Final Lightsaber battle. That's about all the good things.

Attack of the Clones
- That very brief moment after Anakin's mother dies and the score kicks up and Anakin goes berserker. That is all.

Revenge of the Sith
- Potential for a great story (but not fully realised), opening 1 shot, lightsaber fights, Palpatine, Order 66, Kubrick moment between Anakin and Padme, sequence where Luke, Leia, and Vader are born, end sequence. I like this one overall.

images

Phantom Menace:
- Darth Maul, Coruscant, Pod Race, Final Lightsaber battle. That's about all the good things.

Attack of the Clones
- That very brief moment after Anakin's mother dies and the score kicks up and Anakin goes berserker. That is all.

Revenge of the Sith
- Potential for a great story (but not fully realised), opening 1 shot, lightsaber fights, Palpatine, Order 66, Kubrick moment between Anakin and Padme, sequence where Luke, Leia, and Vader are born, end sequence. I like this one overall.
This

It's been interesting watching all three in their recent run on Fox. They're not great films by any respect, but they're not as awful as the popular consciousness suggests either.

Take Jar Jar and Jake Lloyd out of TPM and it's a reasonably entertaining film. The three separate end battles, the Podrace, a lot of the visuals and concepts are all pretty cool. Even though they overdid it with the politics, the scenes in the Senate look fantastic. It's let down by the heavy lean on comic relief - beyond the Lloyd/Jar-Jar factor, not sure why they decided to make the key (non-Sith) villains walking punchlines.

There's nuggets of a good film in Clones: the Coruscant scenes, the plot surrounding the investigation, some of the visuals in the battle at the end. But it's let down by Christensen (and Portman, to a lesser degree) s**t writing and the overuse of the green screen - to the point where the large-scale battle scenes may have been pulled straight from a video game.

Three largely sticks the dismount - Christensen and some of the writing the key problems again. The Order 66 scenes, all of Palpatine's scenes and the final duel the highlights for me.

AOTC is always going to be the biggest problem: where Empire draws you in and is a completely engrossing two hours, Clones fumbles the storyline, sets up the leading man as an whiney irritant and doesn't really leave you feeling all that enthusiastic about III.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back