Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
the hottest ticket right now is Star Wars: X Wing by Fantasy Flight, a prepainted skirmish game between the fighters from Star Wars, it's killing everything in sales.
I looked at getting this for a friend's birthday but (correct me if I'm wrong) you get very few minis in the starter set. Seems like to make it worthwhile, ie. to get more minis, you then need to invest more in expansions. I understand this is an excellent marketing strategy by FF, but I'd prefer a game where expansions are a nice-to-have, and not a must-have.

*Apologies for the off-topic post

It's the same with (almost) any 2 player starter set for a miniatures game - there's enough in the box for you to enjoy playing many games, but eventually if you're enjoying it you're going to compel yourself to buy a blister with a new ship just for fun, and then maybe another.

The X Wing minis cost more than others because they come prepainted, so to keep the barrier to entry down they have less minis per box than say, Firestorm Armada, the next largest spaceship minis game.

One alternative some people take up is to buy two starter sets - then you give your friend both boxes worth of Imperials, and keep both boxes worth of Rebels for yourself, or vice versa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back