Starc out injured with stress fractures

Remove this Banner Ad

Cummins or Stoinis? One performs at Shield level whenever he plays but plays as regularly as Daniel Currie. The other plays regularly but performs like, well, Daniel Currie. Sorry Daniel Currie, you just fit this comparison.

How many players in the test squad can legitimately lay claim to being selected based on sustained FC performances?

Warner - played for Australia before NSW. T20I -> ODI -> test.
Renshaw - played 14 Shield games, in because he's 20 and showed potential
Smith - in the side at 21 as a bowler,
S Marsh - countless chances from being a Marsh, has only started to turn in consistent FC performances the last few years
Handscomb - 80%, strong FC record, helped by being 25 and in form when spots were up for grabs
M Marsh - pass
Wade - brought in for a guy with a better FC record
Starc - picked at 21 after one season of 21 wickets @ 34
O'Keefe - 100%
Lyon - picked as a curator
Hazlewood - took about 20 wickets @ 20 one year and was in, was earmarked from teenage years

I count 1/11. Two if you include Handscomb.
Does he though?

Regarding Renshaw, he had shown form and was one of the few openers in form at the time.

But yes the rest weren't exactly picked on strong form and it shows.

Does he though?

Regarding Renshaw, he had shown form and was one of the few openers in form at the time.

But yes the rest weren't exactly picked on strong form and it shows.

Well he just took 4/57 and 4/47. And made 42 with the bat.

In a whole 9 FC matches since 2011 (* me) he's taken 34 wickets @ 26. Starc averages 27, Hazlewood 24, Bird 25.

Well he just took 4/57 and 4/47. And made 42 with the bat.

In a whole 9 FC matches since 2011 (**** me) he's taken 34 wickets @ 26. Starc averages 27, Hazlewood 24, Bird 25.
If Cricketarchive hadn't just put a pay-wall up I'd have a gander and say that his NSW matches he's been bleh but he's picked up wickets in his Aus A games against weak opposition. Also his average before this game was 29, such is the limited pool of matches to select from for him. It was also against a weak batting lineup that has been skittled for below 200 in 4 of it's last 6 innings from memory.

If Cricketarchive hadn't just put a pay-wall up I'd have a gander and say that his NSW matches he's been bleh but he's picked up wickets in his Aus A games against weak opposition. Also his average before this game was 29, such is the limited pool of matches to select from for him. It was also against a weak batting lineup that has been skittled for below 200 in 4 of it's last 6 innings from memory.

2010/11 - 3 matches, 9 wickets @ 46
2016/17 - 1 match, 8 wickets @ 13

That makes 4 matches, 17 wickets @ 29 in the Shield and 17 @ 21 in other FC matches. Give or take.

2010/11 - 3 matches, 9 wickets @ 46
2016/17 - 1 match, 8 wickets @ 13

That makes 4 matches, 17 wickets @ 29 in the Shield and 17 @ 21 in other FC matches. Give or take.

I kind of wish I hadn't read this. Talk about a wing and a prayer. I'm in Braeds camp on this pick, which is something I can't say every day.

It just feels like hit and hope, I guess that's where they feel they are at. If he didn't have a massive investment already from CA in his mostly non-existent career, would he be picked?

Cummins is still CA's type. It's why they get excited when the Dorff takes 9/37 after not playing since November but Sayers taking 50 wickets @ 19 barely registers.

Cummins bowls proper fast, and he gets wickets at a good strike rate. CA want his ODI/T20 form to translate into test cricket, but seem to ignore a 6 year history of breaking down and the fact that his economy is poor in both those formats. I get taking a punt on young players with talent and certain attributes but not being able to play Shield cricket for 6 years is one hell of a red flag. Yadav, Sharma, Hazlewood and Starc have bowled 42-58 overs each over the last two tests within a 14 day period. Can Cummins do that?

Thoroughbred is a generous term for 'injury prone and erratic.'

Cummins' selection spits in the face of every single player who plies their trade week in week out domestically.

Has he worked hard? Of course he has. Has he demonstrated that the work has had a positive effect? Like hell.

This is like giving a kid a plush job straight out of uni when his rivals for the job have had years of experience in the industry and are performing at or close to their best.
No it doesn't. The once in a generation prodigy child always gets the gig in front of the honest toiler.

Cummins is still CA's type. It's why they get excited when the Dorff takes 9/37 after not playing since November but Sayers taking 50 wickets @ 19 barely registers.

Cummins bowls proper fast, and he gets wickets at a good strike rate. CA want his ODI/T20 form to translate into test cricket, but seem to ignore a 6 year history of breaking down and the fact that his economy is poor in both those formats. I get taking a punt on young players with talent and certain attributes but not being able to play Shield cricket for 6 years is one hell of a red flag. Yadav, Sharma, Hazlewood and Starc have bowled 42-58 overs each over the last two tests within a 14 day period. Can Cummins do that?
They also ignore his ODI/T20 form which isn't great this year. Lots of tailend/late over wickets for many runs.

When you actually look at the selection panel it kind of makes sense that the most pragmatic selections aren't always made.

Trevor Hohns - around for the golden era but probably past it now
Greg "yoof" Chappell
Darren Lehmann - loves a bit of aggression and X Factor
Mark Waugh - opinionated campaigner who makes calls based on "gut feel" (insert NSW conspiracy)

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Last edited:

How exactly did CA get excited about the Dorff's return? He's been perennially ignored by them, which given his injury frequency is reasonably understandable but relative to others quite surprising.

I think Cummins returning is very premature. To go from a single first class match in six years and straight into the fast bowlers cauldron that is India reeks of irrationality from the selectors. And if he doesn't play, then it's all for nothing and introducing further discontinuity in his return to FC phase when he could be playing in another couple of matches (including a shield final).

I guess the three realistic choices in Pattinson, Cummins and the Dorff are all coming from a far from ideal preparation so it wouldn't have mattered either way. Bird will come in as he should and would expect him to do enough to maintain his spot for the final test as he is that sort of bowler.

Patto, Dorff and Cummins aren't the only options. Bird is already there, and they could pick a Shield performer like Sayers or another limited overs bolter like Jhye Richardson or Stanlake or whoever they have a hard on for on the day.

I'd pick Patto of the first 3. He at least has some continuity of cricket on his side. Has played 3 Shield games in a row (14 wickets @ 20) after playing BBL and a couple of Futures League games. CA have bizarrely managed Patto well. Since the BBL concluded he's played five 4 day games. In the same period Cummins has played some pretty meaningless ODIs and T20Is and one Shield game for NSW which is a poor preparation for an injury prone player in the test frame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back