List Mgmt. Starting 2019 in the gun

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Cummings didnt have a bad first year after we got him from Port - 90 odd goals I seem to recall

Cummings, Gov, Willie, NN, Sampi & Daniel Williams....

Just goes to show our Eagles can perform at the highest levels even when they push the skin folds test.

Talent is a great starting point as opposed to (within reason) being able to win the 2km time trial year in year out.

So who needs to step up in 2019 to retain their spot, who might retire and who might leave for opportunity elsewhere?

In order of age (oldest to youngest) the following players are out of contract at the end of 2019 (age at 1/1/2019)
:

31 - Hurn, Kennedy
29 - Schofield, Masten, Jetta
28 - Naitanui
27 - Sheppard, Hutchings
25 - McInnes, Achee
23 - Sheed
22 - Nelson
21 - Mutimer, Mallen
20 - Brayshaw, Rotham

Hurn, Kennedy, Naitanui, sheppard, Hutchings, Sheed and Rotham have all signed new contracts beyond the end of this year. Leaves the following players still yet to secure their future at West Coast :

25 - McInnes, Achee
22 - Nelson
21 - Mutimer, Mallen
20 - Brayshaw

Brooksby and Smith also came onto the rookie list on one year deals and would also be feeling nervous

Despite solid WAFL form McInnes and Mutimer stand out as the most likely delistings. Beyond that pair though I’m having trouble picking another player I want to see the back of.

Masten would be a predictable delisting for many but the reality is the club selects him regularly and whilst he’s arguably not best 22 with a full list available it’s obvious the club still considers him as an important depth player

Schofield is as free agent so it remains possible another club could tempt him with a 2 year deal on better money with a better chance of selection but he seems settled in WA

Jetta is playing as well as he ever has and his body is holding up ok so you’d think he’s got another year in him

So unless a contracted player is traded out for whatever reason we probably say goodbye to 3-4 of Nelson, Mallen, Achee, Brayshaw, Brooksby or Smith

There’s going to be some unlucky lads come October

Would like to keep Nelson, Achee and MAllen as i think they are good midfield depth for a contending team. Particularly Nelson and Achee who have proven they can play at the top level.
We have been quite lucky with the fitness of the midfield the past few seasons and while i hope that continues we would be in a bit of trouble if 1 or 2 mids were sidelined.

The rest i think will get delisted.

Schofield - Offer new 1 year deal (not against 2). He's great depth. Would play regular footy at most other clubs.
Masten - Offer new 1 year deal. Still a required player till another winger forces him out.
Jetta - Offer new 1-2 year deal. Playing best footy in our colours and body seems to be holding up.
McInnes - Delist.
Achee - Offer new 1 year deal. Hard to break into our team but I still think he should be around.
Nelson - Offer 1-2 year deal. Has been good in defence and if he can tag - can cover Hutchings.
Mutimer - Delist.
Mallen -Rookie list. Just don't see him getting a gig really but could be good depth.
Brayshaw - Delist or rookie list. Leaning more towards delist as he just doesn't seem to have something that stands out.
Brooksby - Probably delist but not against him staying on rookie list. Hasn't got a game even with Nic/Vardy out.
J.Smith - Probably delist but not against him staying on rookie list.

Interestjng that most of our midfield depth is uncontracted. Ah Chee, Mallen, Brayshaw and Smith. Leaving only Ainsworth, Oneil and guys like Venables and Foley. Do they persist with them or clean it out? I can see us bringing in some mature talent from other clubs and delisting most.

Last edited:
Hurn, Kennedy, Naitanui, sheppard, Hutchings, Sheed and Rotham have all signed new contracts beyond the end of this year. Leaves the following players still yet to secure their future at West Coast :

25 - McInnes, Achee
22 - Nelson
21 - Mutimer, Mallen
20 - Brayshaw

Brooksby and Smith also came onto the rookie list on one year deals and would also be feeling nervous

Despite solid WAFL form McInnes and Mutimer stand out as the most likely delistings. Beyond that pair though I’m having trouble picking another player I want to see the back of.

Masten would be a predictable delisting for many but the reality is the club selects him regularly and whilst he’s arguably not best 22 with a full list available it’s obvious the club still considers him as an important depth player

Schofield is as free agent so it remains possible another club could tempt him with a 2 year deal on better money with a better chance of selection but he seems settled in WA

Jetta is playing as well as he ever has and his body is holding up ok so you’d think he’s got another year in him

So unless a contracted player is traded out for whatever reason we probably say goodbye to 3-4 of Nelson, Mallen, Achee, Brayshaw, Brooksby or Smith

There’s going to be some unlucky lads come October
Brayshaw, Brooskby, Smith and maybe Allen

Schofield - lock in
Masten - lock in
Jetta - lock in
Achee - 1 year
Nelson - 1 year
Mutimer - delist
Mallen - delist (its a shame)
Brayshaw - one more year
Brooksby - retention will depend on availability of other ruck options
J.Smith - delist

McInnes - the only one im unsure about, he's done quite a good job at WAFL level and while i don't think he's AFL list worthy i'd love to keep him as captain of the 2s

Hamish is only 20 and is getting good numbers in league footy. Only just starting to have a decent run at it without injuries. Delisting him after this season would be a bit premature IMO. Could be a good Redden replacement in a few years - seems to have all the same attributes

Hamish is only 20 and is getting good numbers in league footy. Only just starting to have a decent run at it without injuries. Delisting him after this season would be a bit premature IMO. Could be a good Redden replacement in a few years - seems to have all the same attributes
21"

Will be 22 at the start of next season.

21"

Will be 22 at the start of next season.
I stand corrected. Still he is a year behind in terms of development due to being overlooked and is showing noticable signs of improvement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McInnes gone like the absolute wind. I'll be packing his bags for him. He'll take Brookers, Mutters and Smittdog with him.

Jettdog, Masto, Schomo all get new deals pretty comfortably

A good place to be that there are not 4 names shouting out “delist”.

Tough but my 4 to 5 delistings, in preference order (assuming no cap space concerns) to free up places required for the draft

McInnes - great service and he can retain Beagles captaincy with option to mid season draft if needed
Mutimer - not done much wrong but not done enough right
Brooksby - Williams is our man
Smith - solid but not enough up side
MAllen - sorry he never got a gig but probably started the mid gig too late

IF we need cap space and list places for Cogs and/or Kelly, then I would cut deeper with players on higher $$
Masten - not needed with trades coming in
Ah Chee - good but falls way behind Kelly and Cogs
Schofield- offer to rookie him but on minimum wage and top up in media/communication team, we have Rotham to cover

A good place to be that there are not 4 names shouting out “delist”.

Tough but my 4 to 5 delistings, in preference order (assuming no cap space concerns) to free up places required for the draft

McInnes - great service and he can retain Beagles captaincy with option to mid season draft if needed
Mutimer - not done much wrong but not done enough right
Brooksby - Williams is our man
Smith - solid but not enough up side
MAllen - sorry he never got a gig but probably started the mid gig too late

IF we need cap space and list places for Cogs and/or Kelly, then I would cut deeper with players on higher $$
Masten - not needed with trades coming in
Ah Chee - good but falls way behind Kelly and Cogs
Schofield- offer to rookie him but on minimum wage and top up in media/communication team, we have Rotham to cover

McInnes and Mutimer are the only two players who come close to being described as list cloggers and even then both those guys have played solid footy in the WAFL

It’s a far cry from more recent years when we’ve had several. The ruthlessness to cut players is one of the things I think we’ll miss most from Rawlings departure - the pruning that was done after he was appointed list manager was harsh but necessary since we’d previously had a habit of holding onto players too long

He’s left us in a good place

Cross Jetta and Nelson off the list. Leaves -

29 - Schofield, Masten
28 - Brooksby
25 - McInnes, Achee
24 - Smith
21 - Mutimer, Mallen
20 - Brayshaw

(Age was at 1/1/2019 so most of these guys you can add a year by now)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back