List Mgmt. Starting 2019 in the gun

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on this. Has any player come to us by trade and had a good first year?

Like I cant think of a single player myself
I think Elliot Yeo had a good first season. He needs to be measured based on his last year at Brisbane. I think we all thought we had won that trade even after the first year.

Bizarre to think it'd be possible for Nelson to be delisted in the next 12 months. I know a lot of people don't rate him, but really?

Even if he doesn't improve at all in 2019, or spends the whole year injured on the sidelines, I can't see him off the list in 2020.

He was just on the fringe of our b22 in a premiership winning year and is a positional need / age bracket that fits our current list. We constantly hear how he's rated highly internally. To be delisted he'd have to starting eating people's lunch or something else stupid off-field, but that doesn't seem likely either.

Bizarre to think it'd be possible for Nelson to be delisted in the next 12 months. I know a lot of people don't rate him, but really?

Even if he doesn't improve at all in 2019, or spends the whole year injured on the sidelines, I can't see him off the list in 2020.

He was just on the fringe of our b22 in a premiership winning year and is a positional need / age bracket that fits our current list. We constantly hear how he's rated highly internally. To be delisted he'd have to starting eating people's lunch or something else stupid off-field, but that doesn't seem likely either.
If he started eating Gov's lunch he wouldn't survive long enough to be delisted.

That ankle injury was really unfortunate for Ah Chee but I can’t see him being a regular now barring massive improvement in consistency. We got him because we felt we needed mids and he was cheap and had unique strengths, but as it turned out we just played less mids and he had to play HFF. Did some ok stuff this yeah particularly against GWS and Port away but also had some games with zero impact.
Also first year at a new club - the amount of times he was burnt by players blindly kicking to ff when he was 1 on 1 with sn opponent - hopefully this will be fixed as guys figure out that hes hard to beat in the air one on one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Mallen - I want it to happen in the midfield but can't see it. What about Hurn's shadow?

I think this seriously has legs. I don't watch a lot of WAFL so this only goes off what I have read, but if Mallen is as good of a kick as I have read then this could be a good idea. Hurn and Jetta are elite users of the half back line. They only have at best a few years left and more realistically 1-2. Sheppard is a good kick and solid there. Cole and Duggan who are the younger flankers already in the best 18/22 are neat kicks (with the odd howler in Duggans case) but not game changing like Hurn and Jetta. I believe we need an elite kick or 2 off that half back line and barring taking a guy out of the midfield which I don't want to do, we will have to find 1 or 2. Yes we might be able to draft one or trade for one but if not then we bring one in from a guy who is already on the list. Mallen is big enough to cover the mid size guys ala Hurn and maybe not as good of a kick, but still very good and with him playing midfield the second half of last year and I assume will be training as one this pre season, it will get his fitness up to play off of a half back flack. So this upcoming season in the WAFL, rotate through the midfield and half back flack. Maybe give him some kick outs at that level etc. Give him a few games at AFL level if he is good form as a taste of that position. Then in 2020, come in either as best 18 or as the 7th defender in the 22.

Re Ah Chee, I think he definitely needs to work on his forward craft rather than midfield as much. Lecras has retired obviously which is a spot there. Rioli is primarily a forward but was really good in the midfield when thrown in there and if his fitness improves again he may be in there more. Venables wasn't ready for midfield in 2018, but the long term plan will be him on a wing/midfield. Will he be ready for some midfield time in 2019? I don't know the answer to that but the match committee will be hoping so. If he is there will be even more small forward/mid forward time available. Yes Oallen will be competing for this time as well and looks like a star so Ah Chee would be competing with him and maybe even Petrol for forward line time. Yes all are slightly different players, but all are small-mid size which Lecca, Rioli and Venables were/are. Either way, big year for Ah Chee and hoping he has a solid pre season and is in the mix.

I think this seriously has legs. I don't watch a lot of WAFL so this only goes off what I have read, but if Mallen is as good of a kick as I have read then this could be a good idea. Hurn and Jetta are elite users of the half back line. They only have at best a few years left and more realistically 1-2. Sheppard is a good kick and solid there. Cole and Duggan who are the younger flankers already in the best 18/22 are neat kicks (with the odd howler in Duggans case) but not game changing like Hurn and Jetta. I believe we need an elite kick or 2 off that half back line and barring taking a guy out of the midfield which I don't want to do, we will have to find 1 or 2. Yes we might be able to draft one or trade for one but if not then we bring one in from a guy who is already on the list. Mallen is big enough to cover the mid size guys ala Hurn and maybe not as good of a kick, but still very good and with him playing midfield the second half of last year and I assume will be training as one this pre season, it will get his fitness up to play off of a half back flack. So this upcoming season in the WAFL, rotate through the midfield and half back flack. Maybe give him some kick outs at that level etc. Give him a few games at AFL level if he is good form as a taste of that position. Then in 2020, come in either as best 18 or as the 7th defender in the 22.

Re Ah Chee, I think he definitely needs to work on his forward craft rather than midfield as much. Lecras has retired obviously which is a spot there. Rioli is primarily a forward but was really good in the midfield when thrown in there and if his fitness improves again he may be in there more. Venables wasn't ready for midfield in 2018, but the long term plan will be him on a wing/midfield. Will he be ready for some midfield time in 2019? I don't know the answer to that but the match committee will be hoping so. If he is there will be even more small forward/mid forward time available. Yes Oallen will be competing for this time as well and looks like a star so Ah Chee would be competing with him and maybe even Petrol for forward line time. Yes all are slightly different players, but all are small-mid size which Lecca, Rioli and Venables were/are. Either way, big year for Ah Chee and hoping he has a solid pre season and is in the mix.
Good points..while Archie may improve this season, there will be more competition for limited spots than 2018, certainly Lecras position in the future with Cameron, Tipungwuti and the rest, small and talls, vying for a spot.
Venables seems a best 22 lock to me, just has that natural poise/balance, early signs of a class act..
Excited to see what Oallen, Mallen, Brander and Petrol have to show after another preseason.

Just on this. Has any player come to us by trade and had a good first year?

Like I cant think of a single player myself

Nor can I, and it's become so common we supporters actually come to expect it and make excuses for the players involved.

I have always wondered what the reason for that is, surely players that are coming to us are well briefed on our game plan and their respective roles?

At any rate, it's an ongoing mystery

Nor can I, and it's become so common we supporters actually come to expect it and make excuses for the players involved.

I have always wondered what the reason for that is, surely players that are coming to us are well briefed on our game plan and their respective roles?

At any rate, it's an ongoing mystery
Apart from all the players mentioned on this page?

Apart from all the players mentioned on this page?

Of all the names mentioned, for me only 1 would be as good or better then they were at their original clubs, in their first year with us. Though to be fair Sam Mitchell and Drew Petrie were at the end of their careers.

In regards to Vardy he had a decent first year with us, which is easy to do when you have barely played the preceding 4 seasons, so I don't really count him.

Which leaves us with my sole exception: Tyson Stenglien. Who was great for us from his very first season at West Coast

Of all the names mentioned, for me only 1 would be as good or better then they were at their original clubs, in their first year with us. Though to be fair Sam Mitchell and Drew Petrie were at the end of their careers.

In regards to Vardy he had a decent first year with us, which is easy to do when you have barely played the preceding 4 seasons, so I don't really count him.

Which leaves us with my sole exception: Tyson Stenglien. Who was great for us from his very first season at West Coast

Daniel Chick.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back