Team Mgmt. Starting 22 - IF (its a big IF) the season resumes in June/July?

Remove this Banner Ad

You think they’re going to indulge McKenna’s wish to play forward?
He was training as a forward in pre-season and split his time between forward and back in his practice match.

Is he back in the country yet?

Zerk-Thatcher Ambrose Saad
McGrath Francis Ridley
Redman Merrett Smith
Fantasia McKernan McDonald-Tipungwuti
Stringer Hooker Townsend
Phillips Shiel Parish

Cutler Gleeson Stewart Langford

PS Mods: Not realising this thread was here, I'm not sure the 'Toey' thread is warranted. Merge threads?

No Hurley?

He was training as a forward in pre-season and split his time between forward and back in his practice match.

Is he back in the country yet?

Yeah fair point on training I just don’t see how he makes as much impact up forward as he does in defence where I’d have him top 5 in the league.

No idea bloody hope so

Yeah fair point on training I just don’t see how he makes as much impact up forward as he does in defence where I’d have him top 5 in the league.

No idea bloody hope so
We don't need him in defence with Saad, Redman and Ridley all playing effectively as smalls IMO

Thoughts on pushing Redman up to a wing? Langford, Zaharakis, Ham and Cutler isn’t a stellar group to choose from.
From my viewing in the VFL on the occasion he did move into the middle he's a 180° player, he also doesn't accumulate the ball enough to be that winger. Langford, as a point of reference, has that 360 degree play.

McKenna playing as an attacking wing would be the best option for any of our gun half backs to move up the ground. Redman, Ridley and Saad is plenty of run out of defence and McKenna has the ability to wreak havoc with his pace, kicking and unpredictability on a wing. Just have to drill it in to him that he has to run both ways but that should be the same for all our mids.

From my viewing in the VFL on the occasion he did move into the middle he's a 180° player, he also doesn't accumulate the ball enough to be that winger. Langford, as a point of reference, has that 360 degree play.

If that’s what you see fair. I’d say he’s every bit and probably more of a 360 degree player than Cutler.

I’m just trying to think of ways to correct the imbalance in our side as I’m sure most would agree that Gleeson is better than the likes of Guelfi, Zaharakis and Cutler.

For Rd.2 v Swans

Ridley Hooker Francis
Redman Hurley Saad
Merrett McGrath Langford
Smith McKernan Fantasia
Tippa Stewart Laverde
TBC Shiel Parish
Zaka Cutler Townsend McKenna
E: BZT Ambrose Snelling Phillips

Edits in bold....sorry Zachy :(
It's always easier to come up with changes, so kudos for putting up your best 22. I would have Ambrose straight in though (Townsend starting instead of Laverde).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B Saad Hurley Ridley
HB Redman Ambrose Francis
C McKenna Shiel Zakarakis (we know he’s untouchable)
Hf Fantasia Mckernan Smith
FF Tippa Townsend Stringer
R Bellchambers Mcgrath Merrett
IC Parish Langford Snelling Hooker ( if fit) , if not bzt

Stiff - Cutler ( though he didn’t play that well round 1)
Won’t be too many changes to the team , only dependent on what shape some players came back in.

Bumping this because I couldn't locate a dedicated best 22 thread and I just posted something to similar effect in Clarke's player thread about team balance being completely out of whack. Yes injuries are getting us a good one but the side we're selecting at the moment is radically different in structure to what we've had success with in the past.

Gleeson Hurley Saad
Ridley Francis McKenna
Heppell Shiel Merrett
Snelling Daniher Smith
AMT Hooker Stringer
Draper Clarke McGrath
Parish Hibberd Langford Fantasia

Proven depth: Laverde, McKernan, Redman, Ambrose, Bellcho, Zerk, Cutler.

I think this is the absolute best we could put on the park and would be pretty bloody good. 8 changes to the 22 that played last night without bringing in anyone from off the list

Bumping this because I couldn't locate a dedicated best 22 thread and I just posted something to similar effect in Clarke's player thread about team balance being completely out of whack. Yes injuries are getting us a good one but the side we're selecting at the moment is radically different in structure to what we've had success with in the past.

Gleeson Hurley Saad
Ridley Francis McKenna
Heppell Shiel Merrett
Snelling Daniher Smith
AMT Hooker Stringer
Draper Clarke McGrath

I think this is the absolute best we could put on the park and would be pretty bloody good. 8 changes to the 22 that played last night without bringing in anyone from off the list
id have Laverde over Snelling on this years output
Also think Redman is having a bit of a confidence issue. We've seen his best and it's very good. I'd keep him over Gleeson

Also think Redman is having a bit of a confidence issue. We've seen his best and it's very good. I'd keep him over Gleeson

Lav for Snelling would make us too tall IMO, also robs us for a midfield rotation.

I can certainly see the argument for Redman as he was the hardest to leave out. I just think Gleeson's a bit more of a steady head in comparison to Saad, Fantasia and McKenna who are a bit more helter skelter.

They play a different role. No way Laverde come close to matching Snelling as a pressure half forward. Has about a 1/4 of the tank to start with and is one of the worst at chasing a man from the forward half. I guess you must like sides running the ball out of our back half at full pace.

Right now I think our best 22 would look like;-

Hooker Hurley Saad
Ridley Ambrose McKenna
Merrett Stringer McGrath
Langford Daniher Smith
Stewart McKernan Tippa

Draper Heppell Shiel

Bench: Parish Snelling Francis Fantasia

Gleeson Hurley Saad
Ridley Francis McKenna
Heppell Shiel Merrett
Snelling Daniher Smith
AMT Hooker Stringer
Draper Clarke McGrath

Gleeson has been shocking lately. Give his spot to a younger guy. He’s gone at the of the year anyway.

B: Ambrose - Hooker - Saad
HB: Ridley - Hurley - McKenna
C: Merrett - Shiel - Heppell
HF: Smith - Stewart - Stringer
F: Fantasia - Daniher - Walla
R: Draper - Parish - McGrath
I/C: Langford - Clarke - Redman - Snelling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back