Team Mgmt. Starting 22 - IF (its a big IF) the season resumes in June/July?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Now that the AFL season is suspended until at least June there is a bit of a silver lining in that a few of our senior players should be over injuries & available. This includes our captain Dyson Heppell, plus lots of our talls - Hooker, Ambrose, McKernan, Draper - even possibly Stewart & Daniher...One player who will likely be unavailable is Connor McKenna who is heading back home again to Ireland. Given this - what would your starting 22 be if by some miracle the season does resume in June or July?

I'd have;-

Francis Hurley Hooker
Redman Ridley Saad
Cutler McGrath Merrett
Langford Stringer Tippa
Townsend McKernan Fanta

Bellcho Shiel Smith

Bench from: Zakka, Parish, Snelling, Laverde

My logic behind this is;-

Daniher will not have played for 1 year, and Stewart 2 years by June 2020, so I dont think either of them will be rushed straight back in for a senior AFL game.
Heppell & Ambrose have both had pretty serious foot & knee injuries respectively so I think they willl be nursed along also.
I think both Phillips & Draper will be in the mix for Bellchambers spot, but for now I'll stick with Bellchambers as McKernan and Hooker back in the team mean we have reasonable team balance and back up options should Bellcho run out of gas (again!).
Snelling & Laverde the 2 on the bench whose spots probably most likely up for grabs - but I thought Snelling was good against the Dockers, and Laverde provided enough contests in the air and kicked a goal so for me he keeps his spot also. Strange times ahead people - lets hope we see our mighty Bombers back sooner rather than later....

Last edited:

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
This isn't any different from the other best 22 thread

Do we have a best 22 thread - and - even if we have a best 22 thread I think its a lots different to a - best 22 in June/July given the state of play with a few of our players (namely Dainher & McKenna) & the Covid situation...

Do we have a best 22 thread - and - even if we have a best 22 thread I think its a lots different to a - best 22 in June/July given the state of play with a few of our players (namely Dainher & McKenna) & the Covid situation...
Why? It doesn't need a new thread.
Just transition the discussion in there.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I agree and am bored happy for thread to be shut down just struggling a little with this Covid s**t... :(

Well some good news is that figures coming out of early lockdown areas such as Wuhan are showing that 5 to 6 weeks of lockdown are enough for things to start returning to normal. I think footy can restart once borders are open and even wit light restrictions in place. I initially thought that the season would be over but I see a bit of hope.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Well some good news is that figures coming out of early lockdown areas such as Wuhan are showing that 5 to 6 weeks of lockdown are enough for things to start returning to normal. I think footy can restart once borders are open and even wit light restrictions in place. I initially thought that the season would be over but I see a bit of hope.
How quickly does a lock down have to happen for it to be classified as 'early'? (Genuine question btw)

I know similar results happened in Singapore, Germany (.4 mortality rate with 31,000+ infections) and South Korea as well.
Judging on how much changed with in a week, i would expect ScoMo is planning a complete lock down soon

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
How quickly does a lock down have to happen for it to be classified as 'early'? (Genuine question btw)

I know similar results happened in Singapore, Germany (.4 mortality rate with 31,000+ infections) and South Korea as well.
Judging on how much changed with in a week, i would expect ScoMo is planning a complete lock down soon

Early as in the virus was going bananas earlier than here. Not the practice of early lockdown. That I can't tell you.

ScoMo's 'flattening the curve' plan relies on a lengthy drawn-out period of many people getting coronaviris over a period of time. What he isn't saying so clearly, is that it relies on herd immunity, whereby 15,000,000 Australians have to get it (around 60%) of the population before there are enough people affected to stop the person to person transmission. This means no season in 2020 IMHO.

edit: The Asian countries seem to be employing more of an elimination tactic. eg lockdown, remove it from the population, then restart. It is quicker, but more risky if it gets loose again.

The Asian countries ( excluding Wuhan and Macau for two weeks ) never imposed a lockdown - For example, Singapore and Hong Kong have not YET imposed the strict rules imposed in Australia - Asian countries in many cases were very efficient in their contact tracing and monitoring - Please don't believe you read in the media

vass44

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
We could be pretty much full strength by June/July!

Francis Hurley Hooker
Heppell Ridley Saad
McKenna McGrath Merrett
Langford Stringer Fantasia
Townsend Daniher Tippa

Draper Shiel Smith

Cutler Ambrose Redman McKernan

Emergency- Laverde Parish Guelfi Bellcho

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Asian countries ( excluding Wuhan and Macau for two weeks ) never imposed a lockdown - For example, Singapore and Hong Kong have not YET imposed the strict rules imposed in Australia - Asian countries in many cases were very efficient in their contact tracing and monitoring - Please don't believe you read in the media
I think you are using a different definition of lockdown.

Feb 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester City San Antonio Spurs
Hurley Hooker Saad
Ridley Ambrose Redman
Heppell McGrath Merrett
Stringer Daniher Townsend
Fantasia McKernan Tipungwuti
Bellchambers Shiel Smith
Francis Parish McKenna Cutler

Ok I’m really bored. If all fit by July:
Hooker takes the big boys
Ambrose the athletic forwards
Hurley/Francis the mid fwds
Ridley/Redman/Saad to the smalls

The fwd line looks balanced with three genuine marking targets in Daniher, McKernan and Townsend. Stringer plays 50-50 mid and fwd. Fantasia needs to lift but can. McKenna to play wing and forward.

Midfield of Shiel, Merrett, McGrath, Heppell, Smith, Parish, McKenna and Cutler has a nice mix. Probably still lacking a big body in there.

Bellchambers still ruck, least we know he won’t be banged up. Draper won’t be ready with no match practice, Phillips close.

Old Stuckup

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea, 76s, Stars
B: Ambrose - Hooker - Saad
HB: Redman - Hurley - Ridley
C: Heppell - McGrath - Merrett
HF: Fantasia - Daniher - Stringer
F: Townsend - McKernan - McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Bellchambers - Shiel - Parish
I/C: Smith - McKenna - Francis - Langford

Emg: Cutler - Phillips - Laverde - Guelfi

Last edited:
I think you are using a different definition of lockdown.

So what is your definition of a lockdown ? - I am used to people advising what is happening in HK, even though I actually live in HK.

So what is your definition of a lockdown ? - I am used to people advising what is happening in HK, even though I actually live in HK.
Lockdown isn't a medical term. It refers to a restriction placed on peoples movements, to which there can be varying degrees, total lockdown etc.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
B Saad Zerk- Thatcher Ambrose
HB Ridley Hurley Redman
C Merrett Heppell McGrath
HF Smith Daniher Fantasia
F Tippa Hooker Stringer
R Bellchambers Shiel Parish
INT Francis McKernan Townsend Langford

EMG Gleeson Snelling Phillips Cutler

Id love to see Zerk- Thatcher hold his place in defence. Hooker can park himself forward with the option of swinging him back if needed.

It's the one you created about 30 seconds after we lost to West Coast.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
B Saad Zerk- Thatcher Ambrose
HB Ridley Hurley Redman
C Merrett Heppell McGrath
HF Smith Daniher Fantasia
F Tippa Hooker Stringer
R Bellchambers Shiel Parish
INT Francis McKernan Townsend Langford

EMG Gleeson Snelling Phillips Cutler

Id love to see Zerk- Thatcher hold his place in defence. Hooker can park himself forward with the option of swinging him back if needed.

Hooker could kick 40 up forward - if we get a full season..!!

half time raffle

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2006
Albury
AFL Club
Essendon
B: Francis Hooker Saad
HB: Redman Hurley McKenna
C: Cutler Heppell Merrett
HF: Smith Daniher Tippa
F: Stringer McKernan Fantasia
R: Phillips Shiel McGrath
B: Parish, Townsend, Ridley, Hibberd
Emergencies: Langford, Ham, Gleeson

Notes:
Daniher takes us to another level, must play if available.
Bellchambers and Zaharakis both pick and choose too much concerning effort, I would happily replace them with players who are more desperate.
The list depth with everyone available bats deep, I think the Bombers are well placed to have to play multiple games in short time frames if that eventuates.

On CPH1725 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Now that the AFL season is suspended until at least June there is a bit of a silver lining in that a few of our senior players should be over injuries & available. This includes our captain Dyson Heppell, plus lots of our talls - Hooker, Ambrose, McKernan, Draper - even possibly Stewart & Daniher...One player who will likely be unavailable is Connor McKenna who is heading back home again to Ireland. Given this - what would your starting 22 be if by some miracle the season does resume in June or July?

I'd have;-

Francis Hurley Hooker
Redman Ridley Saad
Cutler McGrath Merrett
Langford Stringer Tippa
Townsend McKernan Fanta

Bellcho Shiel Smith

Bench from: Zakka, Parish, Snelling, Laverde

My logic behind this is;-

Daniher will not have played for 1 year, and Stewart 2 years by June 2020, so I dont think either of them will be rushed straight back in for a senior AFL game.
Heppell & Ambrose have both had pretty serious foot & knee injuries respectively so I think they willl be nursed along also.
I think both Phillips & Draper will be in the mix for Bellchambers spot, but for now I'll stick with Bellchambers as McKernan and Hooker back in the team mean we have reasonable team balance and back up options should Bellcho run out of gas (again!).
Snelling & Laverde the 2 on the bench whose spots probably most likely up for grabs - but I thought Snelling was good against the Dockers, and Laverde provided enough contests in the air and kicked a goal so for me he keeps his spot also. Strange times ahead people - lets hope we see our mighty Bombers back sooner rather than later....
The players have another 4 months off, based on the hypothetical of this thread, most likely longer. How on earth could naming either Stewart or Daniher in that hypothetical game be classified as rushing them back in?

Back