Team Mgmt. Starting 22 - IF (its a big IF) the season resumes in June/July?

Remove this Banner Ad

The players have another 4 months off, based on the hypothetical of this thread, most likely longer. How on earth could naming either Stewart or Daniher in that hypothetical game be classified as rushing them back in?

Yeah good point. As it seems more and more certain we wont be playing before July or later 'rushing' back in or 'nursing' players who have been out for a while doesn't apply - well maybe expect Stewart who wont have played for 2 years, and he'd be behind many others regardless of how this Covid stuff plays out. Based on a hypothetical of a June/July start i'd pick this team now;-

Francis Hurely Saad
Ridley Ambrose Redman
Heppell McGrath Parish
Smith Daniher Fanta
Tippa Hooker Stringer

Bellcho Shiel Merrett

Bench: Zakka Langford Townsend McKernan

I hope people are starting to entertain the idea that not only will there be no footy in 2020, it’s highly likely that there will be a very late start to 2021 (if it starts at all). July 2020 is an impossible dream.

It could be 18 months until we see a viable vaccine distributed widely.

There’s no way football or society is opening up before that happens in my opinion.

ICU capacity can increase a bit but not much. As long as more people are coming in than going out, restrictions aren’t gonna lessen.

I am very confident there will be footy in 2020 - Infections are trending downwards which combined with all new arrivals being tested and placed into quarantine - Most states are only 4 to 6 weeks away from having minimal new infections or new infections - Once you reach this threshold you then gradually lessen restrictions which means footy and other sports can resume.

Modelling shows that strict social distancing will need to remain for 3 months. This means no team training in that time. Unless the team decides to isolate with each other as their families, hence foregoing their families. Maybe players young enough to not have kids and old enough to not feel dependent on their parents will sign up for that. However, not sure how many support staff would be young enough to have no family to forego.

There is a reason the government's stimulus package for businesses to supplement wages is for 6 months. They obviously see it is highly likely this will go on for that long. Especially coming from a group whose natural inclination is to be climate deniers and deride Rudd's stimulus in the last financial meltdown. We also have Trump who can be written off as just a fool, but really he just says the quiet things out loud from the conservative (reactionary right's) perspective.

You may disagree with the principle of buying time for the vulnerable 1% of the community. However, once a move like this has been made ... you can't put the genie back in the bottle once you've jumped the shark. It's a bit like cricket where you can play through the drizzle. It might even get heavy for a minute. But once you go off you can't come back on until the rain has stopped and the ground has been dried. This includes the lightest of drizzles starting up again after you have begun walking out there again.

If the earliest that players can start training again is in July, when is the first game? August? 4 weeks of games then finals? Everyone plays each other once in reduced games so we can play for league style premiership? A knockout tournament which is really complicated with 18 teams. Maybe 2 pools of 9 teams playing 8 games. Then the top team of each play the second team of the other in preliminary finals.

It will get super complicated. Would you be ok with Collingwood getting number 16 and drawing level with us and Carlton like this? Would a Brownlow this year mean as much? If "the public" or "the industry" carried on like there should be a different award for this year because it was a different tournament, would players be held back because it is too much of a risk for injuries?

If the earliest that players can start training again is in July, when is the first game? August? 4 weeks of games then finals? Everyone plays each other once in reduced games so we can play for league style premiership? A knockout tournament which is really complicated with 18 teams. Maybe 2 pools of 9 teams playing 8 games. Then the top team of each play the second team of the other in preliminary finals.
Why would it be 4 weeks then finals?

I feel like you've missed the multiple press conferences where Gil has said we will play into December if we must (can) to have a season.

I am very confident there will be footy in 2020 - Infections are trending downwards which combined with all new arrivals being tested and placed into quarantine - Most states are only 4 to 6 weeks away from having minimal new infections or new infections - Once you reach this threshold you then gradually lessen restrictions which means footy and other sports can resume.
I kindly disagree, yes the confirmed cases are trending downwards however we are still right on track to peak in June (with the info and stats I am privy too). I doubt any AFL action, if any at all will be played before August. Of course I hope this is wrong, and we see some action this year.

I kindly disagree, yes the confirmed cases are trending downwards however we are still right on track to peak in June (with the info and stats I am privy too). I doubt any AFL action, if any at all will be played before August. Of course I hope this is wrong, and we see some action this year.
Out of interest is the info your privy to include recovery numbers?

I suggest that with the current measures in place, then if you expect a peak in June, that means you have large unreported numbers of community transmissions of COVID19 - China had big issues in the HUBEI province, took strong measures and are gradually resuming normal programming afte just over 2 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think July is looking very possible if the trend of new infections continues to decline - Once states get it down to single figure new infection, then you can contact trace, isolate,test etc.

With the exception of the Irish blokes most of the list will be healthy and ready to go you’d think. Could look like;-

Hooker Ambrose Francis
Redman Hurley Saad
Langford Heppell Merrett
Fanta Stinger Smith
Townsend Daniher Tippa

Bellcho Shiel McGrath

Bench: Zakka Parish Guelfi McKernan

Pretty damn strong side with lots of depth that could easily line up as well- Ridley, Laverde, Cutler, Zerk, Phillips, Gleeson etc

Can’t wait...!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking like the season is going to resume in mid June which is bloody exciting. Think we are a team that is really gonna benefit from the break. Key players like Heppell, Hooker, Bellchambers, Daniher to name a few had interrupted pre seasons so more fitness into these guys is crucial. I think also that the AFL will extend the interchange to 7-8 players as the turnaround between games is going to be shorter which also plays into our hands in terms of easing say Hooker into the first couple of games with the luxury of still affording to play Zerk-Thatcher off the bench. Same with maybe Daniher with McKernan, Laverde, Stringer and Townsend covering.

Ideal scenario is below...

Ridley Hurley Ambrose
Saad Hooker Redman
McGrath Heppell Langford
Fantasia McKernan Snelling
Tippa Daniher Stringer
Bellchambers Shiel Merrett
Smith Parish Townsend Guelfi McKenna Zaharakis Zerk-Thatcher Laverde.

Unlucky players are Francis Cutler and Ham but good depth that will be called upon during the season.

Getting closer now...

Ambrose Hurley Francis
Redman Ridley Saad
Merrett Shiel Parish
Fanta Stringer Langford
Townsend Hooker Tippa

Bellcho McGrath Smith

Bench: Cutler Guelfi Zakka McKernan

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I hope people are starting to entertain the idea that not only will there be no footy in 2020, it’s highly likely that there will be a very late start to 2021 (if it starts at all). July 2020 is an impossible dream.

It could be 18 months until we see a viable vaccine distributed widely.

There’s no way football or society is opening up before that happens in my opinion.

ICU capacity can increase a bit but not much. As long as more people are coming in than going out, restrictions aren’t gonna lessen.
Ah, to dream the impossible dream.

Zerk-Thatcher Ambrose Saad
McGrath Francis Ridley
Redman Merrett Smith
Fantasia McKernan McDonald-Tipungwuti
Stringer Hooker Townsend
Phillips Shiel Parish

Cutler Gleeson Stewart Langford

PS Mods: Not realising this thread was here, I'm not sure the 'Toey' thread is warranted. Merge threads?

Ambrose Hurley Ridley
Redman Bezerk Saad
Cutler Merrett Smith
Langford McKernan McGrath
Stringer Hooker McDonald-Tipungwuti
Bellchambers Shiel Parish

Redman Fantasia Francis Townsend

Not my best 22 but the side I expect we’ll pick for round 2.

FB: Francis - Ambrose - Saad
HB: McKenna- Hurley - Ridley
C: Redman - Merrett - Langford
R: Bellchambers - Shiel - McGrath
HF: Smith - Mckernan - Walla
FF: Fantasia - Hooker - Stringer
IC: Parish - Townsend - Snelling - Cutler

As the season goes on I expect Ham to push Cutler out and Gleeson/Zerk-Thatcher to play plenty of footy. Am really hoping the coaching staff are aware of Guelfi’s limitations and see him as a fringe player.

What I'm hoping to see as far as groupings (7 def/8 mid/6 for/1 ruck)

Defenders: Francis, Ambrose, Hurley, Saad, Gleeson, Redman, Ridley
Forwards: McKenna, McKernan, Hooker, Stringer, Fantasia, Walla
Midfielders: Cutler, Snelling, Langford, Merrett, Shiel, Parish, McGrath, Smith
Ruck: Bellchambers

Snelling to play primarily on a wing, and Townsend extremely unlucky, I really wanted to find a place for him. What I expect to see:

Defenders: Francis, Ambrose, Hurley, Hooker, Redman, Ridley, Saad
Forwards: McKenna, McKernan, Stringer, Fantasia, Walla, Townsend
Midfielders: Cutler, Zaharakis, Langford, Merrett, Shiel, Parish, McGrath, Smith

What I'm hoping to see as far as groupings (7 def/8 mid/6 for/1 ruck)

Defenders: Francis, Ambrose, Hurley, Saad, Gleeson, Redman, Ridley
Forwards: McKenna, McKernan, Hooker, Stringer, Fantasia, Walla
Midfielders: Cutler, Snelling, Langford, Merrett, Shiel, Parish, McGrath, Smith

Snelling to play primarily on a wing, and Townsend extremely unlucky, I really wanted to find a place for him. What I expect to see:

Defenders: Francis, Ambrose, Hurley, Hooker, Redman, Ridley, Saad
Forwards: McKenna, McKernan, Stringer, Fantasia, Walla, Townsend
Midfielders: Cutler, Zaharakis, Langford, Merrett, Shiel, Parish, McGrath, Smith

You think they’re going to indulge McKenna’s wish to play forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back